Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomann's PA 4080 *Problem*

• 17-10-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

(Not too sure if this belongs here or in Instruments section - apologies)

*NEVERMIND, I should have researched more instead of impulse buying, I assumed if it had a TAPE IN then it must be stereo. Lesson learned.*

I just bought this and received it on Monday.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/tamp_pa_4080.htm

I know it's cheap but I only wanted it for playing pre mixed drum loops and
    synths from a laptop via the tape input L and R with a vocal on top, through 1 of the PA channels.

Only really checking it out tonight and one of the speakers seemed to be constantly distorting with bass notes. I started to problem solve and notice that when only one of the phono inputs (Left or Right Tape IN) is in use, there is sound coming out both speakers.

That seemed odd, so checked the (badly written manual) doesn't say anything but mentions if you are using the tape out feature that it will be summed (ie mono - same thing coming out the left and right).

So, I have a horrible and quite likely accurate feeling that the tape in is also being summed, rendering the PA completely useless to me.
    Has anyone else used one of these? If so, can they confirm please?

Really annoyed about this. They make no mention of it only having a mono output. Are they even any other PAs that only provide a mono out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

I guess you know this already, but I'm not sure because you left the entire post up? Anyway:

Specs state "4 channel mixer amp (1x 80W RMS)" so it's definitely mono throughout. The lack of pan control on the main inputs would be a dead giveaway too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Does it really matter ? A lot of club and touring PAs are mono. Whatever about a studio the 'stereo sweetspot' of a gig will be very small.

Advertisement