Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless WPA 2 problem

Options
  • 17-10-2012 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

been troubleshooting this for the last few hours, trying to connect a sony vaio Windows vista machine to the home network.

Cisco EPC3925 router, other machines connect to the router fine using WPA 2 encryption, but the vaio wont it keeps giving me local access only, no internet acess. The firewall is turned off, and also if I turn the security off on the router the vaio will then have internet access.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you confirmed that the Vaio will actually handle wpa2? How old is the vaio?

Can you change the router security to just plain wpa and see if that works?

Have you checked to see if the wireless card driver is up to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

dub45 wrote: »
    Have you confirmed that the Vaio will actually handle wpa2? How old is the vaio?

Can you change the router security to just plain wpa and see if that works?

Have you checked to see if the wireless card driver is up to date?

This occurred to me that I might not be able for wpa 2, changed it to wpa1 but still no luck,

The vaio seems to be at least 4-5 years old, it's not mine,

As said it connects wirelessly fine when there's no security, so I figured the driver is fine.

I also tried wep but any key I created on the router wouldn't work for any of the devices connected it to it. I don't if the router is compatible with wep

Still having the same issue,

Anyone able to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

As said it connects wirelessly fine when there's no security, so I figured the driver is fine.
    Not necessarily. In some cases, older drivers (or certain revisions) might work grand with some security types, but not others.
    Whats the Wireless card model, driver version and date?

roast wrote: »
    Not necessarily. In some cases, older drivers (or certain revisions) might work grand with some security types, but not others.
    Whats the Wireless card model, driver version and date?

Ok,

In work now, so i'll get this information when I get home and i'll try update the drivers

• Advertisement
Advertisement