Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN on iPhone, iPad to home LAN

Options
  • 17-10-2012 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking or a VPN solution that I can have at my home network so that my iPad, iPhone's traffic gets routed through my home Internet connection
    I found the log me in hamatchi VPN but that does not support iOS..

I'm looking to have the VPN server / service installed at my home location, I also have a netgear dgnd3300v2 which seems to only support site to site vpn

Can anyone recommend a solution?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭lotas

I used PPTP for this, but Microsoft are recommending changing to IPSec or SSL VPN connections due to security issues with MSCHAP. iOS supports PPTP connections out of the box. You do not need to setup Site to Site VPN on your Router, just VPN server.

Quick steps would be:

* setup VPN server on machine/router at home
    * use DynDNS or similar to get a name for your network at home
    * in Network settings on iPhone/iPad/iDevice, setup VPN connection
    * turn on VPN

All traffic will be routed though the VPN. You may want to look at enabling compression on the VPN link, and you may also want to setup a proxy server in the house for speed improvements... but its up to you on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I'm having problems with this.
    I set up a PPTP through Windows 7.
    I'm connected to a Netopia router on an Eircom home package.
    I realise that the IP in the iPhone's VPN settings will have to be changed every time the router resets.
    I've enabled port forwarding on port 1723.
    The phone isn't connecting at all.

could be a couple of things:

first: port forwarding correctly? is the Windows Firewall allowing that port?
    second: your iPhone: what provider are you connected with? some may be blocking ports

lotas wrote: »
    could be a couple of things:

first: port forwarding correctly? is the Windows Firewall allowing that port?
    second: your iPhone: what provider are you connected with? some may be blocking ports

Yeah, I've already opened that port on the firewall.
    The broadband is with Eircom and the iPhone is connected to Vodafone.

voidafone though the Live APN or the ISP APN? Think live has some limitations...

• Advertisement

lotas wrote: »
    voidafone though the Live APN or the ISP APN? Think live has some limitations...

I'm not sure tbh, Live I think.
    I've tried connecting the iPhone to the VPN when it's connected to wireless but that doesn't work either.

Advertisement