Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sleeping

• 18-10-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

I get fairly bad insomnia at times but lately I've been doing really well. I have been in bed at 10 some nights :)
    The weird thing is I now have less energy than ever during the day. Same diet I'm eating, salads and some chicken mostly. (Come at me bro)
    I'm often exhausted by around 12.
    I'm used to only getting one or two hours and not being too bad, but now with eight hours I'm tired. Makes no sense what so ever. The most annoying thing in the world.
    Can anyone shed some light on this?
    I was drifting off today so many times.
    I should be wide awake.
    I've been sleeping well for about two weeks now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I get fairly bad insomnia at times but lately I've been doing really well. I have been in bed at 10 some nights :)
    The weird thing is I now have less energy than ever during the day. Same diet I'm eating, salads and some chicken mostly. (Come at me bro)
    I'm used to only getting one or two hours and not being too bad, but now with eight hours I'm tired. Makes no sense what so ever. The most annoying thing in the world.
    I should be wide awake.

It takes a little longer than two weeks Teddy, stick with it for a few more, you'll begin to feel much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Possibly your diet Ted?

I'm no dietician, (as my o/h will testify) but I reckon a few carbs would do no harm bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

strobe wrote: »

It takes a little longer than two weeks Teddy, stick with it for a few more, you'll begin to feel much better.
    Another week do you think?
    I just feel so shattered most of the day now and my head keeps falling. Once it starts I find it really hard to kick it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Ya need to wait a few weeks. Your body is not adjusted to the change so it's fighting even though you have 8 hours sleep in. I had the same problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Not really sure, but I've experienced the same.
    I'm a dreadful insomniac.
    I can't get to sleep without pills (although I don't need the pills atm - I have a newborn instead!)

Without pills, I have to wait til the point of exhaustion to sleep, and then only end up getting 1-3hrs, or not sleeping at all til the following night.
    I'd be exhausted going about the place, but still able to go about my day.
    It's a particular type of tired - an overtired state - running on spares - getting 2nd winds, 3rd winds, 4th winds.

But with pills, I get a decent nights sleep, but I'd be full on tired the next day.
    My energy levels rarely get beyond a certain point.
    I can function, but I get tired easily.
    It's a different type of tired.

With little sleep, it's like I'm surviving on adrenaline or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

eat lots of kiwi's and don't drink any drinks with caffeine in the evening. a women had a similar problem on a channel 4 show called the food hospital last week and her problem was much improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It's ridiculous it takes my body so long to adapt. I'm just in a haze all day. It's like I'm dead inside because I'm just on auto pilot. Soooo annoying.

I'm feel shattered now though thankfully so I can drift off within mins I hope :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Sleep is the best thing in the world.

Sometimes i wake up and feel like i have just arisen from a 10 year long coma,only to be slowly realise this isnt the case and i have to get out of bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Teddy, there's a reason why you're tired after eight hours, It's your body's natural rhythms.

We sleep in 1 1/5 hour sleep patterns, it's when we're getting our deepest sleep. So you'll always feel more refreshed if you sleep to these patterns. 6 hours or 7 1/5 usually does me, never 8.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Tom_Cruise wrote: »

Sometimes i wake up and feel like i have just arisen from a 10 year long coma,only to be slowly realise this isnt the case and i have to get out of bed.

Eh 25 years, no?

Tom Cruise gives up 25-year devotion to Scientology to win back Katie's love

Do you know that even scientists are unable to explain why we need sleep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Let your body adjust, your body let you sleep for as long as it needs but should be at least be 7-8 hours in order to function I'd say whether you have insomnia or not.

It take time for your body to adjust to the new body clock/routine. Stick with it and you feel much better! If you sleep the night then you feel great and refreshed! If you sleep for too long can make you more tired so if you wake too soon you might not sleep much more but if you sleep for as long as you need and not too early in the night and let you sleep to the morning then you be grand you be ready to get up and out of bed.

I find I need at least 7-12 hours to keep myself going whether I sleep the night or wake during the night or have a case of can't sleep the odd night. I find if I am tired or that I am well rested I find I could still be stuck to the bed and not get out until I feel up to it sometimes if I wake refreshed I get up as soon as but often either sleep through the alarm or it wake me eventually or on the dot or if I happen to wake before it I either sleep on until it buzzes or I just get up if its close to the time.

I find certain things make me more groggy first thing in the morning, generally not a morning person at all as I tend to be a bit grumpy or a bit disorientated/zombie like first thing. I am generally a late night owl even at that I need my beauty sleep, can only stay up so late. I can't cope without sleep really, can only get by on so much sleep, anything less and I be a zombie for the day and not alert at all otherwise I end up napping during the day If I don't get enough at night, so rather sleep the night through and sleep until I need to sleep for and I am less likely to need a nap during the day.

I find napping makes you more sleep deprived to be honest depends if its a nap worth taking to revive you depending how long it is can determine if its worth it or could affect your sleep at night or its a nap that could lead to a deep sleep or cause you not to sleep well or not at all or take ages to get to sleep that night.

I find its best to be hanging almost to the point of exhaustion to actually fall asleep. If you aren't in sleepy mode you won't sleep or if you've something on your mind or drank caffeine keep you awake. Carbs might help you sleep, bread or toast before bed is great as you less likely to wake up during the night hungry or you be ready for breakfast when you wake! You let your body drift off to sleep like. Scrutinise your lifestyle, diet, stress/worries and daily life to see what could be affecting your sleep.

I find by having your lights adjusted - dimmed/lamp on helps to get you sleepy, less light and dimmed lighting nearly dark helps your body adjust to night time otherwise thinks its day if you have bright lights on - tv/computer/phone/room lights.

Its a lot healthier to get what ever hours sleep your body needs that usually be 7-8 hours is recommended and healthy for most people some people need less some need more but I still think you should have a happy medium to suit your body clock rhythms. You need to give your body a chance to recharge and absorb what was going on that day and let your body work away at a healthy pace. Sleep is very important as part of a healthy lifestyle.

Salads are healthy do you include other fruit/veg in your diet in particular the greens and colourful ones full of antioxidants and vital for health? Seeds and nuts are good. Cut down on red meat, and dairy. Cheese or goats/soya milk/cheese might help. Carbs be good to get you sleepy. Caffeine only keep you awake if you have too much of it. Not to drink it too soon before bed either. Give yourself an hour-two hours at least. A midnight/night snack might be good to have as well nothing too heavy something light. Having dinner too late at night could keep you awake as well.

Yoga is suppose to work wonders to help you sleep, you go out like a light as soon as you hit the pillow! Have you checked your room if there is anything distracting there or something bothering you, or not warm enough or a bit too cool a room/bed? Sometimes that can affect your sleep. Too much in a room especially technology can affect your sleeping pattern. It makes it harder to switch off. Just allow yourself to relax and switch off, not think about anything at all! Just let your self relax and drift to sleep and get comfy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

We need sleep to rejuvenate ourselves!! Our body is absorbing food and breaking it down, we dream to gather information about our day to allow the brain process everything, our cells/skin rejuvenates and needs that. Body is constantly we replenishing itself throughout the night. We need sleep to keep us healthy.

Its like learning something new a new neuron in the brain is developed/created/linked. Keeps our mind active and alert and sleep/food is doing the same for our bodies to keep it healthy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I know people who don't sleep hardly at all and function fine,if you can operate on a few hours I don't think you should be aiming for eight just because it's the norm.Fruit+veg and some porridge for breakfast to go with the chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

If your only eating carbs and salads you have no carbs. Ya need carbs for energy. Try some whole grain bread, fruit (bananas are awesome for energy) and any type of nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

If your only eating carbs and salads you have no carbs. Ya need carbs for energy. Try some whole grain bread, fruit (bananas are awesome for energy) and any type of nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I'm going to give you no advice, I've had insomnia the past 4 years and if I knew how to cure myself I'd tell you. It's a bitch, but I can live with it, most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

You'd know all about scientists, wouldn't ya, Tom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

I should be wide awake.

Could be not enough carbs.

Also your circadian rythms are probably adjusting.

Your brain releases hormones to send you to sleep if it is not regular it gets confused. It is probably adjusting.

'Sleep Hygiene' is important get a good pattern in place.

I know this though you should wake at the same time every morning even weekends and in the evening sleep as soon as you feel tired. I wager you need to go earlier than 10.

Most people wake at seven or earlier and you need eight hours of solid sleep it also takes a while to drift off.

A morning run or something will wake up your metabolism and keep you awake ..i find anyway. Also if you are in an office move around and stretch every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

People who post insomnia advice at 3 in the morning have no credibility whatsoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    People who post insomnia advice at 3 in the morning have no credibility whatsoever

They're the experts I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

It is actually not just the length but the type of sleep ...you need to go through the right pattern and wake during the right type of sleep

Sleep proceeds in cycles of REM and NREM, usually four or five of them per night, the order normally being N1 → N2 → N3 → N2 → REM

There is stage 1 2 3 4 and 5 they produce theta waves ..sleep spindles...delta waves delta sleep and REM

Some of those stages are transitional ...and you need to go though the correct order and wake during a certain stage or the brain does not feel rested..Sleep begins in stage 1 and progresses into stages 2, 3 and 4. After stage 4 sleep, stage 3 and then stage 2 sleep are repeated before entering REM sleep. Once REM sleep is over, the body usually returns to stage 2 sleep. Sleep cycles through these stages approximately four or five times throughout the night.

Apparantly you can get tapes that play noise or music and beats to get your brain producing the right stages correctly and get it to wake you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I work nights so my sleep cycle is wrecked. Tried Kalms but after one good sleep they no longer work for me. I used up some of the wifes leftover diazepam and boy did they work! But then i ran out of that too.
    She said to me to try melatonin tablets. They are apparently natural so there should be less tolerance build up to them.
    I didn't get them yet so i cant say how good they are. But a quick search online will yield more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I was about to ask if anyone has tried melatonin?I suffer from terrible insomnia (look at the time :() and have tried so many remedies.My insomnia comes in waves so I will be fine for weeks and then I go through phases where sleep can evade me until five or six in the morning.....horrific!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Merkin wrote: »
    I was about to ask if anyone has tried melatonin?I suffer from terrible insomnia (look at the time :() and have tried so many remedies.My insomnia comes in waves so I will be fine for weeks and then I go through phases where sleep can evade me until five or six in the morning.....horrific!!

I'm taking it at the moment and it has been helping, combined with good sleep hygiene. It causes your dreams to get very lucid though. It also seems to shorten the amount of sleep, I keep waking after six or so hours and that's that. I'm more used to eight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

My sleep patterns are all over the place, sometimes I'd get 4-5 hours and wake up feeling way more refreshed than if I got 7-8, I do find that I have trouble sleeping if I watch a movie late or play my ps3 right before sleep so try not to do that, reading helps, or going for a walk or just doing stuff around the house for a few hours before bed, make me naturally tired instead of lying in bed trying to make myself sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Kurz wrote: »

I'm taking it at the moment and it has been helping, combined with good sleep hygiene. It causes your dreams to get very lucid though. It also seems to shorten the amount of sleep, I keep waking after six or so hours and that's that. I'm more used to eight.
    If I got six hours sleep I'd be delighted!! What is the recommended dose and what brand is good?

doovdela wrote: »
    We need sleep to rejuvenate ourselves!! Our body is absorbing food and breaking it down, we dream to gather information about our day to allow the brain process everything, our cells/skin rejuvenates and needs that. Body is constantly we replenishing itself throughout the night. We need sleep to keep us healthy.

Its like learning something new a new neuron in the brain is developed/created/linked. Keeps our mind active and alert and sleep/food is doing the same for our bodies to keep it healthy!

Yes you are correct in what you say,but our bodies also do all of that when we are awake also.

Scientists do not fully understand sleep or why we need it. There are plenty of theories. I get this information from reading articles about sleep in various magazines/websites so im no scientist but it seems legit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Merkin wrote: »
    I go through phases where sleep can evade me until five or six in the morning.....horrific!!

This would be my nightmare!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

spankysue wrote: »
    Teddy, there's a reason why you're tired after eight hours, It's your body's natural rhythms.

We sleep in 1 1/5 hour sleep patterns, it's when we're getting our deepest sleep. So you'll always feel more refreshed if you sleep to these patterns. 6 hours or 7 1/5 usually does me, never 8.
    It is actually not just the length but the type of sleep ...you need to go through the right pattern and wake during the right type of sleep

Sleep proceeds in cycles of REM and NREM, usually four or five of them per night, the order normally being N1 → N2 → N3 → N2 → REM

There is stage 1 2 3 4 and 5 they produce theta waves ..sleep spindles...delta waves delta sleep and REM

Some of those stages are transitional ...and you need to go though the correct order and wake during a certain stage or the brain does not feel rested..Sleep begins in stage 1 and progresses into stages 2, 3 and 4. After stage 4 sleep, stage 3 and then stage 2 sleep are repeated before entering REM sleep. Once REM sleep is over, the body usually returns to stage 2 sleep. Sleep cycles through these stages approximately four or five times throughout the night.

Apparantly you can get tapes that play noise or music and beats to get your brain producing the right stages correctly and get it to wake you too.

I was trying to write this last night, but I couldn't explain myself properly!
    Glad someone was able to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Teddy I was the same as you! Stayed up all night without feck all sleep and sometimes I'd be up early.Then when I got my sleeping pattern sorted, I was tired as fcuk! Eventually your body will get used to it.Your body is so used to your early late nights/earl mornings that it takes time to adjust to your new routine!

Stick at it buddy n you'll be fine :)

Sorry Teddy but as the thread had descending into medical advice, including doses of prescription drugs and where to buy them online, I have to close it.

Offending posts deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement