Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-published sf&f

Options
  • 18-10-2012 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

I've read plenty of free sf&f ebooks, some of them high quality stuff from Stross or Doctorow, etc, but a few of them self-published (in the traditional use of the word).

And I've found the self-published stuff surprisingly ok for the most part, even though much of it is free.

In the free arena I found a lot of it just wasn't my preferred genre, e.g. there's a lot of YA sf out there. But some of it might even be good enough for commercial publishing with some editorial polish usually around plot and characterisation (rather than surface level spelling and grammar issues that used to be rife).

Two questions for y'all: what's your general thoughts on self-published sf&f, and secondly do you have any links/recommendations for us (free or paid books)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I found a lot of relatively cheap stuff on the kindle. normally just by going on the "also bought these books" list. Lots of very good stuff , including one where the main character is a man-rabbit ! Which was actually an excellent read , but I would never have bought if it cost more than a few euro and never except so many of these "have also bought" books had been so good. Glad I did.

Series can be very addictive though , as the next book is only about 3 seconds away.

Advertisement