Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which pizza place to try?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

difontaines. it's a bit out of the way from the old shop but it's worth the walk for a slice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

poisonated wrote: »
    If it's a pizza chain you are looking for - Mizzoni do very good pizzas.
    Mizzoni? Gawd no...dry as bejaysus.

Dominos FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Mizzoni? Gawd no...dry as bejaysus.

Dominos FTW.

Dominos could hardly be described as a pizza. Conveyor belt "baked goods" maybe but a long way from a real pizza.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Dominos could hardly be described as a pizza. Conveyor belt "baked goods" maybe but a long way from a real pizza.
    Ok, so they use the 'Henry Ford' means of production, but please do explain to me why, in real terms, why a Dominos pizza is worse than anyone else's? Quality of the ingredients?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

For eating out it has to be Ciao Bella Roma.

If I'm ordering in I'll get the thin base from Dominos. Had Four Star a while ago (skinny fajita pizza) and it was fairly nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I had a Milano's pizza recently. The place was really packed, surprising given the price of the food. So I was expecting something wonderful, but it turned out to be little above average. They also wouldn't change any ingredients in the pizza for ne which led the skeptic in me to thinking that they were prepared in advance rather than on an order by order basis which I don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Eathrin wrote: »
    I had a Milano's pizza recently. The place was really packed, surprising given the price of the food. So I was expecting something wonderful, but it turned out to be little above average. They also wouldn't change any ingredients in the pizza for ne which led the skeptic in me to thinking that they were prepared in advance rather than on an order by order basis which I don't like.

The Milano's in Grand Canal Dock has an open kitchen and I have seen them putting the toppings on the pizza at least once, so I don't think that angle is true.

It's fairly generic though alright, anytime I go we usually have a 2 for 1 offer code so in that respect you get what you pay for, wouldn't be paying full whack for their stuff on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Ok, so they use the 'Henry Ford' means of production, but please do explain to me why, in real terms, why a Dominos pizza is worse than anyone else's? Quality of the ingredients?

Quality is one factor. I don't think that splodgy gloop of tomato and rubber cheese on a dubious flan case can be really called a pizza either. If you like then great but it's an industrial version of pizza.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Staying in Dublin this weekend. Will be in the IFSC and Dublin 2 area, does anybody know of some good wood fire pizza places in that area? Love the smokey taste of em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

cournioni wrote: »
    Staying in Dublin this weekend. Will be in the IFSC and Dublin 2 area, does anybody know of some good wood fire pizza places in that area? Love the smokey taste of em!

Daves wood fired pizza in the speakeasy on Georges Street (corner of dame lane) is lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Roberto's in sligo best pizza. although it will never beat pizza from new york...

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

MarkMc wrote: »
    Daves wood fired pizza in the speakeasy on Georges Street (corner of dame lane) is lovely
    Great, I'll check that one out.

Great, I'll check that one out.

Heres their website:
    http://www.speakeasycafebar.ie/index.php?daves-woodfire-pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

Value over substance here...

but Marsellas takeaway in Churchtown (beside the bottle tower pub) do a 12" pizza... with 3 toppings....

for €5!!!!!!!!

Its actually really nice... made up fresh in front of you..

plus,.. they dilever!!!!!!

We got pizza, chips and onion rings 2 weeks ago and including delivery it came to €13.

Great value

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

<name of every pizza restaurant/chain in Ireland> does the best pizza.

My own favourites in Dublin are
    Romano
    Da Mimmo
    Paulies

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Roberto's in sligo best pizza. although it will never beat pizza from new york...

Funny that, I thought the pizza in new york was awful.....base was thick enough to be a cake......

Bar Italia in IFSC does a nice Pizza...

in Dublin 2, funny enough there are not too many that spring to mind...lots of duds (imho) such as Milano, Gotham and so on.

Steps of Rome would be pretty decent.

None of the restauarants that I can think of to get a decent pizza are actually in Dublin 2.

One of them is however about 30 yards across the bridge in Dublin 1....Romanos on Capel St.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Funny that, I thought the pizza in new york was awful.....base was thick enough to be a cake......

This is surprising! Every pizza I had in NY was on a very thin base, never cakey at all. I was there for three months, ate a lot of pizza :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hide2013

what about dun laoghaire - any recommendations?

Twee. wrote: »
    This is surprising! Every pizza I had in NY was on a very thin base, never cakey at all. I was there for three months, ate a lot of pizza :D

Disclaimer....

I was only there a week and went to two pizza places...

Both were pitched in my guide book as places to get classic New York style pizzas....

• Advertisement

Am I the only person who likes a good thick base?? The bread bits at the end are delicious.
    Of course I don't like when there's too little sauce and too much bread but I really don't like thin, crispy bases. Its like putting a pizza on a crepe.

Bateman wrote: »
    The Milano's in Grand Canal Dock has an open kitchen and I have seen them putting the toppings on the pizza at least once, so I don't think that angle is true.
    They take deliveries of pre-prepared frozen dough every morning from the UK. Ask any ex-employee.

They take deliveries of pre-prepared frozen dough every morning from the UK. Ask any ex-employee.

So do most pizza places. Doesn't mean theres anything wrong with it, preparing large amounts of dough is a big big job! Frozen dough can be perfectly good quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Tombo2001 wrote: »

With all due respect, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about

drquirky wrote: »

I'm looking for some "all due respect" here but funny enough I see the opposite it of it.

We're talking about pizza here ffs, there's no need to be so rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

drquirky wrote: »

Someone takes their pizza very seriously.Too seriously it seems...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

hide2013 wrote: »
    what about dun laoghaire - any recommendations?

Bits n' Pizzas! Actually the best pizza in Dublin, imho. They're open almost 30 years or something so they must be doing something right. Try the coleslaw!

Bits n' Pizzas! Actually the best pizza in Dublin, imho. They're open almost 30 years or something so they must be doing something right. Try the coleslaw!

Had it once and half the crust came out burnt, as with everyone else's pizza. Obviously an oven malfunction, but I never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

The New York guy must have went to Sbarro's, gives Pizza a bad name. Best pizza in the world in NYC, I lived on Long Island for a while and there were shít hot pizza joints all over as well.

I hadn't been in 4star for about 10 years but went back recently and it was absolutely fine, closest to New York pizza that I've had in any of the chains, I'm fairly sure they've improved from years ago in case anybody wants to give them another chance like I did.

I had pizza from Base in Ballsbridge about a month ago and it was superb, I had the diablo which the nice girl who worked there assured me was their most popular seller, very hot but not overpoweringly so, I'd be surprised if there was better pizza in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Amazed at some of the pizza recommendations here include Mizzonis and Four Star....

my favourites are:
    Da Mimmo's in Fairview
    Paulies in D4

and not mentioned anywhere....Di Bella on Grand canal street (around the corner from hollis street hospital). €10 for a very large pizza with a portion of chips during lunch.

My favourite country for pizza funnily enough is Italy - particularly doughs that use large amounts of Semolina. Pizza is only eaten for lunch aswell in Italy.

Finally, making pizza is really easy. If you havent tried to make your own, you should, its fantastic.

Advertisement