Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Au Pair/Childminder for morning and evening work?

Options
  • 18-10-2012 6:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi Boarders

I need some advice/experience regarding childminding. Here's the situation...

We have two kids - 6 months and 2.5 years. My wife and I work full-time. She works 9-5, regular hours, in Dublin city centre. I work irregular hours on irregular, but planned, days (including weekends).

My wife has just done her back in and cannot lift the kids for up to 6 months, probably more, but can do everything else (playing, walking, cooking, working etc). Her mat leave finishes in January (when the baby is 6 months). The toddler has been in a creche until now (quite happy with it) and the creche is just around the corner from the house.

So we need someone to be on-hand to mind the kids WHEN I'm not at home AND they are outside creche hours.

That works out at:
    Early morning - 7am until they are in creche at 8.30am
    Early evening - collect from creche before 6pm and mind until 9pm
    Weeekends - all day saturday and sunday (not more than twice per month)

Looking at my calendar for last year, that works out at about 12 weekdays of morning/evening/both (60 hours) and 2 weekends a month (24 hours). Total 84 hours a month - 21 hours a week approx.

When I'm not away, I can do all pickups, lifting, putting to bed etc.

Ok, the question...

Are these hours compatible with employing an Au Pair? Essentially an out-of-hours Au Pair. She would be off most weekday daytimes and 2 weekends a month.

If not, alternatives?

Is there such a thing as a childminder-by-appointment that I could schedule on a monthly basis to be around on the days I'm not there and pay an hourly/monthly rate?

(Yes, I could re-jig my working hours, but that would cost more money than employing someone else to be there instead of me and would not be 100% possible, so a backup would always have to be in place.)

Any though MUCH appreciate. I need to have this in place by January 2013.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think it is more a Nanny or Au pair that you need.
    You would want the minder to come to your house which works out expensive,min wage + their prsi.
    I think it would be an ideal job for an au pair ,they usually work 20-25 hours a week and would have their days free for studying or travelling.

Advertisement