Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Viscious thug sexually assaults 17 year old, and walks free!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

He's walking 15,000 then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

that judge should be raped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

and he's planning on getting married... He's a catch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/woman-got-nasty-bang-from-shutter-3263769.html

Meanwhile a woman walks into a shutter and gets more than a victim of sexual assault.

To put it another way, Tuthills got punished more because someone walked into a shutter, than a man with previous, for assaulting a teen because he wanted to make her inferior. Hope he meets the judge up a dark alley, then we can see some real justice in sentencing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Just goes to show how out of touch Irish judges are, slap on the wrist for serious assaults, jail time for importing garlic or not paying tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Many previous convictions, four for assault, then an sexual assault on a 17 year old.

I'm confused: can somebody please explain how this guy didn't get a jail sentence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

What a charming man.nice we pay for his drug and drink parties,which involves him sexually assaulting a young girl during.

Scum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Actually can't believe this! How in the name of god did the judge think a custodial sentence wasn't warranted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

This is becoming more and more common now, have a few bob to give to your victim and you escape jail. I know jail space is hard to find but there are some criminals who should be behind bars. What kind of message does it send out to rich lads? Its okay to abuse people because you'll just have to pay a fine? Its sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

did the victim accept the money? the going rate for rape is going down all the time. it used to 75k to rape someone, now only 15k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

blackdog2 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/woman-got-nasty-bang-from-shutter-3263769.html

Meanwhile a woman walks into a shutter and gets more than a victim of sexual assault.

To put it another way, Tuthills got punished more because someone walked into a shutter, than a man with previous, for assaulting a teen because he wanted to make her inferior. Hope he meets the judge up a dark alley, then we can see some real justice in sentencing

Thant is nuts. She got a nasty bang? Look where you're walking you silly bint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

What a double ordeal for the poor victim as the court turns around and says heres €15,000. So if she doesn't take it, tough, they'll decide where it goes. If she does take it, it'll just be expensive prostitiution in the mind of the scumbag who assaulted her and a licence for him and his knuckle dragging ilk to do it again.
    "it must have been the hormones"......"I wanted to make her feel inferior because I am not on the same level emotionally."

What a douche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

He is from Baldoyle originally and was always...troubled, to put it mildly.
    Wasn't surprised at all to see his name in the papers either, it's not the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Sugar Free wrote: »
    He is from Baldoyle originally and was always...troubled, to put it mildly.
    Wasn't surprised at all to see his name in the papers either, it's not the first time.
    Hormone troubles by the sound of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

The judge is at fault here.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Fcuking scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Move this to the Legal Discussion forum and watch all the legal eagles defend the indefensible.

The judge should be removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

eviltwin wrote: »
    This is becoming more and more common now, have a few bob to give to your victim and you escape jail. I know jail space is hard to find but there are some criminals who should be behind bars. What kind of message does it send out to rich lads? Its okay to abuse people because you'll just have to pay a fine? Its sick.
    Fuinseog wrote: »
    did the victim accept the money? the going rate for rape is going down all the time. it used to 75k to rape someone, now only 15k.

This case goes to show that the case Fuinseog mentioned above wasn't really an example of "one law for the rich" as was widely claimed around here at the time but just another example of the inexplicably lenient sentences that are handed out for crimes of this nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You have to wonder what is going on in the background with these judges

They dont seem to treat sex crimes with the gravity they deserve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think there was another thread on this recently so closing this for now. Oops, this is another case again so opened again!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

K-9 wrote: »
    I think there was another thread on this recently so closing this for now. Oops, this is another case again so opened again!

€15,000 fine. Sorry

connundrum wrote: »
    €15,000 fine. Sorry

No, if we're to follow our esteemed justice system, he should go to jail for that

Sexual assault though? well that's just fine and dandy

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Overthrow

From the article;
    Judge Nolan noted that while Griffiths was collecting this money or repaying loans to family he would have little or no money to spend on drink or drugs. He said if the woman did not wish to receive the money the court would decide where it would go.

How fcking offensive to the victim; we'll give you 15k, if you accept it you're accepting it as a valid payoff for your ordeal. If you don't accept it, psh, we'll just give it to someone else while your attacker is free to go.

And no money to spend on drink and drugs? Someone with 4 previous assault convictions might just decide to go out and mug someone or break in to their house if he's a bit short on cash.

And then it'll be another victim, and another useless sentence most likely.

This guy shouldn't be anywhere near the streets with the risk he poses to the average citizen.

I suppose the countdown starts to the next assault, then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

How do the judges get their qualifications? Collect 5 special crisp packets or find them in a box of cornflakes?

FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This judge has plenty of form for "eccentric" sentences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

This chap was the boogey man around where i grew up, didn't matter what you were doing, if you heard his name mentioned you just legged it home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does house arrest exist as a sentence in Ireland?

edt: although I guess you could just stop paying your mortgage and get evicted in that case...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Check-list for an Irish rapist.
    • save money- check
    • rape girl- check
    • pay girl- check
    • go home for a ham sandwich-check

This country really is getting beyond pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Can anybody explain the judges reasoning for such a sentence?

I'm not trying to sound sensationalist at all, infact I generally hate sensationalism, but I saw something on Facebook which for once I actually agreed with. It said something along the lines of "when did we start turning our sexual assault victims into prostitutes, since when was it ok to sexually assault women as long as you pay them afterwards"

Something has to change here. This cannot continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

He is originally from Dublin but has been living in Louth with his girlfriend for the last six years. The couple plan to get married.

Yeah, he's marriage material all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

This is an absurd sentences, especially as he seems to have past convictions. There needs to be some sort of independent review of judges, if some of them engage in this kind of carry on with sentences.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

**** putting him in jail
    hang him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Fuinseog wrote: »

He sexually assualted her for sure, but I'm not sure he actually raped her? thankfully she had a male friend with her, which presumably prevented her from being raped? big apologies if I have go this wrong as I haven't been following the full story . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

wes wrote: »
    This is an absurd sentences, especially as he seems to have past convictions. There needs to be some sort of independent review of judges, if some of them engage in this kind of carry on with sentences.

I couldn't help but think of the murder of Jill Meagher when i read the story.

Her killer had previous. The guy in this case is obviously a dangerous individual too and he should be locked up. If he goes on to harm another girl, the judge should be struck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Considering the effort we went to in order to cut their pay I can't imagine we'll be able to remove a judge for any reason. Hence the crazy sentences - no accountability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

krudler wrote: »
    Just goes to show how out of touch Irish judges are, slap on the wrist for serious assaults, jail time for importing garlic or not paying tax.
    mike65 wrote: »
    This judge has plenty of form for "eccentric" sentences.

Innocent Handbag Snatcher

Garlic Man

Mick Wallace gets off and car dealer is jailed for 4 years despite having repaid the taxes

Suspended sentence for biting a child in the face

I'm starting to see a pattern here :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I was her dad or brother yer man wouldn't walk again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I "when did we start turning our sexual assault victims into prostitutes, since when was it ok to sexually assault women as long as you pay them afterwards"

Since Biblical times unfortunately :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Many previous convictions, four for assault, then an sexual assault on a 17 year old.

I'm confused: can somebody please explain how this guy didn't get a jail sentence?

he didnt get a sentence cause it Ireland man, the land of fücking backwards rules where the crime does not ever seem to match the punishment. he will pay 15k over, which more than likely will come from a bank loan, all the while this 17 year old girl will never have a normal life again, with very damaged views on men.

what makes me laugh is your man has a bird, and is plannign on getting married. ah scumbags, they should be drowned at birth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Easy Rod wrote: »
    This chap was the boogey man around where i grew up, didn't matter what you were doing, if you heard his name mentioned you just legged it home!

Ha! Yeah that's what I was getting at in my post, we were the same. Aside from the actual convinctions there are other disturbing stories I heard, though that's just hearsay I guess so will say no more.

Was always a scumbag and can add sex offender to the list now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Ha! Yeah that's what I was getting at in my post, we were the same. Aside from the actual convinctions there are other disturbing stories I heard, though that's just hearsay I guess so will say no more.

Was always a scumbag and can add sex offender to the list now too.
    Thanks to his getting a suspended sentence he wont even have to register as a sex offender!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

LittleBook wrote: »

This is outrageous. How on earth is he still a judge?

More pertinently, how do we complain and get him investigated?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 STI V5

Ive heard it all now !! Unbelievable verdict but totally expected !! Having done work in a judges house years ago , let me see just how out of touch with reality they are !! Even though they hear all sorts off traumatic cases day to day for most of them its just a nice fat pay-packet and pension .. They havent a clue what goes on in the real world , there just in this comfy little bubble , one things for sure if it happened to someone close to him he would have a different outlook !! Hand on heart if any sicko ever crossed any of my family i would Chop the F##kers fingers off as a start , one things for sure he wouldnt be so quick about doing it again .. These vermin dont just turn over a new leaf and become excellent citizens they normally just carry on looking for a newer high ... which normally ends up with some poor woman or child going missing or being put through a life time of misery living with there ordeal !!! Im sure all the do-gooders will have something to say , Anybody with half a brain could see that the justice system in this country is a joke .... cant blame the gardai for losing interest and becoming complacent in some of these cases especially when the scum are walking free !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

This is outrageous. How on earth is he still a judge?

This judge also gave a suspended sentence recently for a guy who assaulted a couple of women. I know judges have to be independent from politicians with good reason but surely there is some way he can be held account for stuff like this? Independent panel of former judges and solicitors, something like that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

idk where to start, i hope somebody provides an email or postal address.

Has the media picked up on this guy and his soft sentencing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement