Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighting Vipers, VF2 and Sonic the Fighters rereleased

Options
  • 18-10-2012 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Joining the tsunami of rereleased fighters comes Sega's Model 2 Collection. They'll be released sometime this year for 800 MSPoints each on XBLA.

Finally the rereleases everyone's been dying for!
    VF2!
    Fighting Vipers?
    uh... Sonic the Fighters?

...right. We all wanted these games.

Either way, they actually added some interesting stuff to them despite their lackluster fame. (I don't know if FV was ever popular, but I always hated that series)

All of them are getting the standard online play.

VF2 gets spectator mode and the option to switch between balance versions.

FV gets Mahler unlocked from the start without any unlocking needed.

StF gets Eggman and Metal Sonic as playable characters instead of just bosses for the first time. What's extra surprising about StF is Honey the Cat is playable - she was previously an unfinished chunk of code in the game only accessible through glitches. That's a really surprising bit of effort to actually go and finish an incomplete character. (Fun fact - StF was built on the Fighting Vipers engine, so Honey is based on the character of the same name from FV)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Junsuina Chikara

Awesome! Have to say, I've never heard of Fighting Vipers or Sonic The Fighters but I most definitely know VF2 so I'll be picking that up when thats released. It'll save me a few quid instead of getting a Saturn and VF2 :pac:. Although, I do have the arcade version but I won't go into that for legal reasons :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

VF2 is probably the game I sunk the most money into in barneys after SF (mainly because it was 50p per play when the other games were still 20, but how and ever).

Gonna have to get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

VF2 is probably the game I sunk the most money into in barneys after SF (mainly because it was 50p per play when the other games were still 20, but how and ever).

Gonna have to get this.

Sandwich match.

LET'S GO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've actually got that Sonic Fighters jonny on the Sonic Gems Collection on PS2. It is indeedy as muck as it looks. I've never played Fighting Vipers, but I do remember seeing clips of it back in the day. I mainly stood out to me because you could batter the opponent with a gutair.

Did anyone notice in that Sega vid where one of the characters in Fighting Vipers has the EXACT same throw as Wolf? I don't know the name of it but it's the one where he swings them in a 360 motion.

• Advertisement

Did anyone notice in that Sega vid where one of the characters in Fighting Vipers has the EXACT same throw as Wolf? I don't know the name of it but it's the one where he swings them in a 360 motion.
    Giant Swing (HCB+P, iirc)

They were built on the same engine, and, well, sometimes developers get lazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Wait there were other games besides Virtual On in that trailer? Didn't notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Was the original Virtua Fighter released as well?

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Was the original Virtua Fighter released as well?
    No, VF1 was made on Model 1 hardware.

Also, it's nowhere near as good as VF2, so who cares ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Disappointing not to see Last Bronx

• Advertisement

Awesome as it is, I don't think I want to play Virtual On unless I am sitting in a cockpit with the 2 joysticks and blinking lights et al...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Awesome as it is, I don't think I want to play Virtual On unless I am sitting in a cockpit with the 2 joysticks and blinking lights et al...

Indeed, was really tempted to buy OT when it was released on live arcade but trying to play it on pad was all kinds of wrong. :(

So what system is everyone getting VF2 for? I assume most folks will be X360. I'll probably be duking it out on PS3 though to meet the Japanese legends online (+ I have more VF players on my friends list on PS3). I've been playing a lot of VF2 on the emulator and I am pleased to say, I have mastered SPoD and the KNEE and I found that you only need those two moves to win lol! SPoD, wait for opponent to get up and attack, CH KNEE, 6p, 1,1 or 3,3, 4, 6+p KO!

Oh and you gotta love 75% damage CH body check! :pac:

It's kind of tricky to get used to CDing in VF2. It's very different from how it is in VF4/VF5 but I think I've figured it out df, df (hold for a sec) then do whatever move you need to do. I really hope Sega follows up and goes on to release the arcade release of VF3 later as well. That was my first VF and have the best memories with it with my drunk Shun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

i remember playing Fighting Vipers 2 on my Dreamcast. i "mained" this guy...

i never played the game seriously since i was about 13 but i remember enjoying smashing CPU opponents out of the ring. ive never seen this game played at a competitive level though. ive never seen or knew that a "Super KO" was possible :S

Here's VF2 Wolf superlegend Bunbunmaru in a FV1 tourney:

Man, Japanese tournaments were BRUTAL -- 1 game, single elimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Man, Japanese tournaments were BRUTAL -- 1 game, single elimination.

AFAIK this hasn't changed.

And now that I remembered, here's an old story that was relayed on VFDC a little while back:
    El_Twelve wrote:

Old, but I thought I'd post this. The video is about one of the great rivalries of VF history. Boom Boom Maru(Bun Bun Maru) vs Daimon Lau.

Starts off with guys in Tokyo hearing about someone in Kyoto who was unbeatable at VF2.(The first one in the video is Ikebukuro Sarah, followed by Shinjuku Jacky and Kyasao, then Boom Boom Maru) The wierd thing was that practically all his wins were by ringout. Thinking that if the guy was only winning by ringout, he couldn't be that good, a bunch of 20 top players from Kantou(East side of the main island of Honshu) made the trip out to Kyoto to beat him down, and none of them could take a game off him. Daimon Lau was that player.

1:20 is the match between Daimon Lau and Boom Boom Maru from that trip. The Tokyo regiment proceeded to lose about 60 games in a row after that.

According to Daimon and his mate ZAP, they were pleasantly surprised that these so-called top players were getting beat down by him. The visitors arrived full of confidence, but when they left, they looked like they were swearing vengeance.

The key to Daimon's dominance was his being able to do Lau's Shajoshou(df+P) from a standing position instead of from crouch. Daimon had been doing it accidentally for a period of time, but it was ZAP who figured out the technique to do it consistently. At first Daimon couldn't get the hang of it, and thought it was not going to be a useful technique anyway. However, after some practice, they found it to be very strong. This was the era when information exchange was scarce, so it was something only known in their little area. ZAP goes on to say one of the fun parts about games in those days was to develop your own tricks to try out and surprise people with at the arcades.

Instead of getting dejected, the loss fuelled the fighting spirit of the Tokyo players, and Boom Boom Maru returned to Tokyo where the community started their own experimentation with Daimon's technique, as well as possible counter measures.

Up to the 3rd Athena Cup, Boom Boom Maru had not defeated Daimon. In fact he had even lost to Daimon on a special programme on TV.(that video is also on Youtube)

There were 16 teams in the tournament, and Daimon's team had already drawn their spot - number 13. Boom Boom Maru, when asked to draw, declared "Number 14!" and by some miracle, it came true. The teams were Man the Satanshark, Kassai Lau and Boom Boom Maru vs ZAP, Burun Burun Maru and Daimon Lau.

Man the Satanshark took out ZAP and Burun Burun Maru. Daimon Lau then went on to take him and Kassai Lau out. However, Boom Boom Maru saw that Daimon wasn't having an easy time, and that boosted his confidence.

5:54 - start of the legendary match. Daimon thought to himself "This'll be easy." and proceeded to take 2 rounds. At the time, all thought Boom Boom Maru still had no answer to Laú's standing Shajoshou. What they didn't know was that Boom Boom Maru had been working on backwards crouch dash with Shinjuku Jacky. They had done it in practice, but Shinjuku Jacky thought it would be impossible to pull off in the heat of a tournament.

6:55 - Boom Boom Maru landed backwards crouch dash -> Giant Swing twice in as many rounds, putting Daimon on defensive and allowing him to run in with low throws(this was an option select in VF2 because a failed low throw came out as d+P ) Daimon decided he didn't want to eat any more low throws and stood up into a Giant Swing, giving Boom Boom Maru the win.

There were 300 to 400 people crammed into a tiny arcade for that match.

You can watch the video of the full team match at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51b1obiSn60

And the TV programme at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDDPAxyErL0

The legendary match by itself:

SEGA wrote:

AM2 Fighting Games Headed to XBLA and PSN

A trio of classic fighting games from the 90s is on the way — Fighting Vipers, Sonic the Fighters, and Virtua Fighters 2 are all headed to digital download on PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade!

All three games have a deep arcade lineage, developed by SEGA’s legendary AM2 team — the fine folks responsible for core titles like After Burner II, Out Run, and Space Harrier. The upcoming releases feature support for full online multiplayer and achievements/trophies, and are complete versions of the arcade originals. Here’s the release details:

PlayStation Network:

November 27th (North America) - $4.99 (each)
    December 5th (Europe) - £3.69/€4.49 (each)

Xbox Live Arcade:

November 28th – 400 MSP (each)

Source
    Well, Sega have finally announced the release dates for VF2, FV and STF. I guess according to their stated release date before, they must think November is in the Autumn (or "Fall" for you Americanised scum) on their Japanese page :pac:

Oh and Kiki, VF2, FT10, you, me on PSN!

Well, Sega have finally announced the release dates for VF2, FV and STF. I guess according to their stated release date before, they must think November is in the Autumn (or "Fall" for you Americanised scum) on their Japanese page :pac:

Oh and Kiki, VF2, FT10, you, me on PSN!
    You must take on Doom before facing me.

He's beaten Koreans, y'know.

Also he has a 1-of-1 100% record against me in VF5FS...

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You must take on Doom before facing me.

He's beaten Koreans, y'know.

Also he has a 1-of-1 100% record against me in VF5FS...

When I hadn't played the game at all.

Or any VF for about a decade.

Just sayin'

When I hadn't played the game at all.

Or any VF for about a decade.

Just sayin'

Randomed out, I was.

JUST SAYIN'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

These are out now by the way.

Advertisement