Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Upgrades

Options
  • 18-10-2012 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've had my gaming laptop for nearly 2 years now, while I haven't run into any issues yet in terms of performance, I'm starting to consider options for upgrading it.

The obvious ones for me are adding an SSD (only using 1 of 3 drive slots currently) and an upgrade of graphics.

Clevo X8100:
    CrossFire DUAL 1024MB ATi HD 5870s w/GDDR5 DX11 Video Cards
    Intel i7-740QM CALPELLA Clarksfield Processor, 1.73-2.93GHz, (45nm, 6MB L3 cache)
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM

For an SSD I'm looking at this possibly:
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=4650DF0CA5CA7304

Anyone know how successful these drive transfers are?

I'm not totally up to speed on the newest cards, anyone have any opinions on what my best move would be here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dont transfer. Reinstall and copy your data yourself.

Assuming its MXM graphics in there and it can be changed, you can only put in a card that the bios is written to support, so you cant just pick the latest MXM and stick that in. Often the bioses arent updated to support new cards so you end up with 2 or 3 options all from the same generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Not much you can do with that I'm afraid. Unless someone happened to release a modded BIOS (unlikely) your only video card options are the 5870s, or GTX 285s, which at this point are probably hideously expensive.

Your only upgrade that I'd bother with would be a decent SSD. The M4 is a great drive. I'd also consider the Samsung 830, as it gets double the write speed of the M4 (though how much you'd notice this is debatable). as ED E said, don't transfer, reinstall. SSDs don't like transfers from mechanical drives.

Advertisement