Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Union Loan?

Options
  • 18-10-2012 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey Folks,

I got a loan from the CU a few weeks back, but didnt really understand what happens my savings at the time. So lets say I had 350 savings, and got a loan for 500. Are my saving now locked in until this 500 is paid back? Or is the the 350 accessible to me to take out etc..?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Yeah, your €350 is locked until the €500 is paid back. AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

newbie2 wrote: »
    Yeah, your €350 is locked until the €500 is paid back. AFAIK
    Not always. Credit Unions operate independently of one another, but in broadly similar ways. If you need access to some of your savings, just ask: they might say yes.

Many credit unions have a 3:1 guideline on ratio of loans to savings, so if you borrow €3000, you must hold savings of €1000 against your loan. Savings in excess of the €1000 might be available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭finto

Thanks Folks.

Ill give them a shout and try clear it up.

Will let you know

Advertisement