Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to recycle computers\give to charity

Options
  • 18-10-2012 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Can someone list out some places in the Cork City area that take old computer equipment to recycle (CRT monitor, desktop tower, etc. and other electronic gear) or charities that take old computer equipment?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I would assume if you brought it to any charity shop and proved it was in good working condition, they would take it straight off you?

The only ones who are choosy in my experiences are SVdP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭Worztron

I'd much prefer to give to a charity than to recycle. Would charities collect them from my home?

Would charities still take CRT monitors?

I have a desktop tower that was cannibalised for parts. It just has the motherboard in place - would a charity take this?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

You should find an online recycler who would collect in your area or from a local shopping centre on selected dates.

CRT monitors attract at least a €15 disposal charge and are not welcome in most recycler depots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

gbee wrote: »
    You should find an online recycler who would collect in your area or from a local shopping centre on selected dates.

CRT monitors attract at least a €15 disposal charge and are not welcome in most recycler depots.

Is that a business charge?

Households can recycle small numbers of CRT monitors and PC's free can't they? The WEEE site at Kinsale Rd is what I'm thinking of....

blindsider wrote: »
    Is that a business charge?

Households can recycle small numbers of CRT monitors and PC's free can't they? The WEEE site at Kinsale Rd is what I'm thinking of....

Yes, I'd also have thought it would be free for non-commercial recycling. Is the Kinsale road WEEE site still active?

Update: "Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) is accepted free of charge." from http://www.corkcity.ie/services/environment/wastemanagement/civicamenitycentre/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

AFAIK it is. I was there in the last 2 months....

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/environment/wastemanagement/civicamenitycentre/

Looks good to me.

Does anybody want CRT monitors anymore or is it best to just recycle them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

gbee wrote: »

I recycled a van full of them a while back and had no issues at the depot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Worztron wrote: »
    Does anybody want CRT monitors anymore or is it best to just recycle them?

They make my eyes sore. To hell with them

Advertisement