Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodyweight exercises needed

Options
  • 18-10-2012 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey guys,

I am looking for the following body weight only exercises for an exercise plan. Im really looking to increase the amount of different exercises I can use so any help would be great.

Legs - Body Squats or Lunges
    Chest - Press Up (increase difficulty by raising legs above shoulders)
    Arms or shoulders - Bench Dips
    Back - plank/chin up? i really more here

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would highly recommend getting some gymnastic rings. Lots of threads about them in the fitness forum.

Handstand work too, loads of variations of pushups, pull/chipups & dips.

You can keep progressing with harder variations. Or you can add weights in the form of a vest, backpack or dip belt.

But you can have incredibly hard exercises people don't even think of, like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

There's loads you can do for bodyweight training.

Pull-ups, chinups
    Bodyweight squats, pistol squats,
    Forward lunges, reverse lunges
    Dips, using a bench or two parallel bars (arms of a chair)

All of the above can be done holding on to a dumbell or something heavy.

Pushups-
    there are a million different varieties.
    Change hand position to target different muscles.
    Try plyo pushups (where you clap, or touch your chest or your hips etc)
    Planche push-ups (these are really really really difficult)

For pushups don't limit yourself to keeping your hands shoulder width apart and raising your legs. Experiment with different positions and have a bit of fun with it.

Don't forget stuff like
    Burpees - Loads of variations
    Box jumps
    squat jumps
    split jumps

Combine all of the above into a routine maybe with some running/sprinting and you have a great workout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Also.....Supine rows. Split squats.

TRX stuff?

Picked up a bag of sand and a back pack last month for less than €8. Might do some hill sprints later with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 gordonfolka

Everybody is so different it is difficult to say what would work best for you. I like what rubadub has to offer. Look at several videos to get an idea what others do, then go to the gym and try them. You might find different machines that suit you better. Also, there are others at the gym who would be willing to show you different exercises. Try! Find what you like and what works for you.

Advertisement