Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What will it take to get you out on the street protesting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Ha more rubbish. The fact that some people were not getting well paid in the Private Sector now as opposed to some in the Public Sector is a fact of life. Things turn with time. It will be the other way again in a few short years.

Who mentioned property developers? Stick to the words I actually used. To change someone's words does no good to your argument and lets you down. In fact it could be described as stupid and ignorant.

It's a lie on your part that people in the private sector were turning their noses up at public sector jobs at any point in time. I would never have applied for a public sector job for loads of reasons, NONE of which are related in any way to salary expectations.

I would go mad working in an environment where unions tell me how flexible I can be (or cannot be as is more often the case), where people get promoted on grounds other than competence, qualification & experience, where change is naturally opposed instead of embraced. These are the reasons why people avoided jobs in the public sector, fu*k all to do with salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Drumpot wrote: »
    I see what you did there . .

Where did I say there werent people in the private sector earning over €40k ?

I will thank you for not putting words in my mouth (threads) and conveniently misinterpreting what I posted. That my fellow boardie is an ignorant action right there . .

I did not quote you as mentioning the figure 40k. Where is the quote attributed to you then? That's my figure because i remember earning those numbers, I remember it well. That was a stupid and ignorant action to accuse me of misquoting you. Do you know what these are " "?

It's a lie on your part that people in the private sector were turning their noses up at public sector jobs at any point in time. I would never have applied for a public sector job for loads of reasons, NONE of which are related in any way to salary expectations.

I would go mad working in an environment where unions tell me how flexible I can be (or cannot be as is more often the case), where people get promoted on grounds other than competence, qualification & experience, where change is naturally opposed instead of embraced. These are the reasons why people avoided jobs in the public sector, fu*k all to do with salary.

It is not a lie and it's ignorant to say it was because YOU were not there. How dare you accuse me of lying. I mentioned an instance of which I was personally aware because I was actually there so get off your high horse. What's more without the Unions there would be an awful lot of people in the Private Sector a lot worse off too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

We are only bringing in 75000 PA now with all the cuts.
    When you take out my mortgage of 1400 and other utility bills we have only 109 euro left for my unemployed wife, unemployed genius eldest son and two other poor starving children.
    How can this be?
    If Sky put up there prices anymore for HD + Multiroom the will have to eat unbranded products.
    7 years ago when we moved into a modest well located semi d who would have thought it impossible to rent out our holiday apt in Bulgaria.
    We cannot afford to put Calgon in the dishwasher every day now and it broke down.
    My mother drove 40 miles to wash the dishes that day.
    Who would have thought it would take nearly 120 euro a Week to fill my SUV.
    Ihave started the tipping point all ready writing letters on ordinary paper since we ran out of the Belveder note paper.

Jaysus! I feel for you.

You haven't hit rock bottom till you give up the kittensoft for tesco value though!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

This is why we are sh*t at protesting...Private sector vs. Public Sector, Urban vs. Rural.....

+1 The government are busy driving a wedge between all the different groups (public vs private, working vs benifit etc) turning people against each other and away from the real issues. In the end we'll be doing the government’s work for them.

Anyways, What could get me on the street protesting?
    A new Council tax (which includes renters :D)

+1 The government are busy driving a wedge between all the different groups (public vs private, working vs benifit etc) turning people against each other and away from the real issues. In the end we'll be doing the government’s work for them.

Anyways, What could get me on the street protesting?
    A new Council tax (which includes renters :D)

Well said. That is what is happening indeed with the help of the media.
    I am actually surprised how gullible some people are.
    You forgot the Urban v Rural divide too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I did not quote you as mentioning the figure 40k. Where is the quote attributed to you then? That's my figure because i remember earning those numbers, I remember it well. That was a stupid and ignorant action to accuse me of misquoting you. Do you know what these are " "?

You quoted my thread that was stating that most people in the private sector did not live it up in the good times and most of us are on the wrong side of the €30,000 average salary band. The first thing you said was that there were people earning over 40k in specific private sector jobs . Then you accused me of bashing somebody. . That is a summary of your post . .

What exactly was your point if you werent putting words in my mouth because it sounds like you were responding to something I never said !

Drumpot wrote: »
    You quoted my thread that was stating that most people in the private sector did not live it up in the good times and most of us are on the wrong side of the €30,000 average salary band. The first thing you said was that there were people earning over 40k in specific private sector jobs . Then you accused me of bashing somebody. . That is a summary of your post . .

What exactly was your point if you werent putting words in my mouth because it sounds like you were responding to something I never said !

You stated the figure 30k and I said there were many earning 40k back in the 1980's. At that time there were lads playing football with us who were working in the Public Sector earning just over half of what we were. That was my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Pay me 20 euro an hour and I'll protest anything you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,539 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Thats the same as saying "oh let me lie down here for you, and you can trample all over me, with my full blessing sir"

:rolleyes:

the crock that run this country DEPEND on opinions like yours, while they laugh all the way to the bank.

If you have a company and are spending more than 40% what you are taking in you have to address this in order to survive. If the Fianna Fail government hadn't handed over our vast oil fields which will soon be in production off the coast we would have this problem solved within the next 5 years, the oil fields are the only card this country has left to play.

If you have a company and are spending more than 40% what you are taking in you have to address this in order to survive. If the Fianna Fail government hadn't handed over our vast oil fields which will soon be in production off the coast we would have this problem solved within the next 5 years, the oil fields are the only card this country has left to play.

Very true. That oil would have got us out of this mess. To give it away was criminal mis-management of this country's natural resources.

Very true. That oil would have got us out of this mess. To give it away was criminal mis-management of this country's natural resources.

.............and this is why people don't want to be associated with "protests".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

If you've a company, and you only spend 40% of what comes in, you're on the fast track to megabucks.

Many companies operate on a margin of 3 - 5% and do ok.

60% = whoo hoo.:)

M

Pottler wrote: »
    If you've a company, and you only spend 40% of what comes in, you're on the fast track to megabucks.

Many companies operate on a margin of 3 - 5% and do ok.

60% = whoo hoo.:)

A day back at school to read might be a help, I said MORE THAN YOU ARE TAKING IN. You take in €100, you spend 40% more which is €140, if you are up 60% on that maybe the banks would be looking for you to run them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Well done on choosing not to have kids because you can't afford them, I genuinely mean that. If everyone had the luxury of choosing how and when they have kids we'd be the Abu Dhabi of the west no doubt, but this public service gig sounds like free money, and considering all your back-breaking labour at the coal-face of private enterprise (when you're not adding to your 3,337 posts on Boards, that is), how the fúck did you let that gravy train pass you by?! What on earth were you thinking?!

I actually can't get over the bit about your mate who's a paramedic. You are self-righteous to a nauseating degree. If you work all day and your business doesn't make you any money, might I suggest your business isn't any good? It's like those episodes of Dragons' Den where they tell people flat out, "give it up, this isn't going to make any money, I'm out". Welcome to capitalism. Sink or swim. Adapt or fail. You chose it. It's not anyone in the public service's fault your business makes no money, but if, God forbid, your home or business was broken into and you or a loved one was attacked and injured, would you spend the ambulance ride leaving the paramedics "under no illusion" of their value to society. I doubt it somehow.

I'm not self righteous to any degree. There is no question but that a salary of somewhere around 60K, for a paramedic, notwithstanding the important nature of the job that he does, is an EXCELLENT salary. The Garda Sergeant on 65K a year, under discussion on another thread on this website, again, another HIGHLY PAID PS worker. You can try to drag the conversation off in another direction as much as you want, try to drag the absolute irrelevancy that is the number of posts that I make on boards.ie, or my own business interests, none of it is relevant to the fact that I, and most private sector people, are simply not prepared to protest with SERIOUSLY DELUDED people who think that permanent jobs for life, with automatic salary increments, with salaries that are just extraordinarily high and plain fúcking wrong in this economic situation, is something to whinge and moan and protest about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

i thought it was pat rabbitte (Labour) who signed away the oil
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1018/1224305994273.html

M

i thought it was pat rabbitte (Labour) who signed away the oil
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1018/1224305994273.html

He did some of the future discoveries but the larger important fields for which licences were given are gone.

He did some of the future discoveries but the larger important fields for which licences were given are gone.

Define an important field. Surely it would be a field that has a proven capacity to produce oil, of which we currently have 0.

A day back at school to read might be a help, I said MORE THAN YOU ARE TAKING IN. You take in €100, you spend 40% more which is €140, if you are up 60% on that maybe the banks would be looking for you to run them :D
    No, no you didn't :) BTW.

M

Pottler wrote: »
    No, no you didn't :) BTW.

Sorry I didn't say it, I should have said I typed it, that ok? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I wish someone told me about these public sector jobs 10 years ago instead of me pursuing something I was blatantly focking rubbish at!

Lets say there were 100,000 people out protesting all in the one area on a cold Decembers morning and the government sees these people and Enda gives a little wave down from the Dail and says hello, would he not see this as 100,000 of votes he could lose?? Therefore reversing some of the decisions that started this massive protest in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I'm not self righteous to any degree. There is no question but that a salary of somewhere around 60K, for a paramedic, notwithstanding the important nature of the job that he does, is an EXCELLENT salary. The Garda Sergeant on 65K a year, under discussion on another thread on this website, again, another HIGHLY PAID PS worker. You can try to drag the conversation off in another direction as much as you want, try to drag the absolute irrelevancy that is the number of posts that I make on boards.ie, or my own business interests, none of it is relevant to the fact that I, and most private sector people, are simply not prepared to protest with SERIOUSLY DELUDED people who think that permanent jobs for life, with automatic salary increments, with salaries that are just extraordinarily high and plain fúcking wrong in this economic situation, is something to whinge and moan and protest about!

Where we differ is that I don't think 60k for a paramedic or Garda sergeant is an EXCELLENT salary. I think it's a FAIR salary for the tough job they do. I think 60k for an insurance broker or junior investment banker is an EXCELLENT salary. In saying that I think 200k for a Chief Superintendent or Assistant Secretary Is an ENORMOUS salary. I think 300k for a hospital consultant is a LUDICROUS salary.

I'd imagine when you went into business for yourself, if things had went well for you, your business flourished and you were clearing 100k a year, after some valuable work from your imaginative accountant and you got away with handing over about 20% of that to the taxman, you would still be on here advocating cuts to paramedics rather than paying a cent more yourself, because that's what self-serving people do.

If you really are a self-employed person with a struggling business, and not some sort of vested interest sock puppet, it would be advisable to change your stance, as people having less money means they're less likely to be able to spend any of it in your business, even if you don't have social awareness enough to understand the FACT that this country needs special needs teachers, social care workers, paramedics and home help services more than it needs to appease you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 okfine

Crazy to say it,but if anything is to come out of these last few years of whats been pure hell for the Irish economy..its that the Irish have continued to hold their heads high and have held onto their dignity.

No doubt about it this country really has something going for it :) its gained this country back such respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

If you have a company and are spending more than 40% what you are taking in

In fairness you didn't say it or type it. You may have thought it, but this original post does imply just under 60% profits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭cosbloodymick

You are correct. No money would pay you to work in the public sector!!
    Not to mention the constant abuse.

You are correct. No money would pay you to work in the public sector!!
    Not to mention the constant abuse.

I'd say most of the abuse is in jest even on here.
    We used to slag them by buying two rounds in a row. Different times now though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Student regestration fees increasing this year will cause a big uproar.Students don't have as many distractions as employed people,like pensioners they're the biggest group capable of large scale protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It'd have to be an unambiguous single issue... Single solution.no war in Iraq ect. Cos otherwise some loudmouth will hijack yr protest and tell everyone that your own protesting for his/her rabidly left/right wing views.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

There was a friend of mine who, as the eldest Grandson, was called to a deathbed audience with his Grandfather. Once they were alone, his Grandfather, a former Volunteer, gave him quite specific instructions about where his handgun, rifle and ammo were buried wrapped in oilcloth. Just in case, mind.

In my view he was a wise man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

when no one took to the streets over the oil debacle, it says it all really.

Look at the recent London riots, thousands of people were on the streets thrashing all round them. The police couldn't even handle it, what did it achieve? zero, zilch, zip, nada

In 2003, 3 million people took to the streets of Rome to protest against the invasion of Iraq. At the same time, 750,000 people protested in London, 1.5 million in Madrid, etc. Did it stop the invasion of Iraq? Of course it didn't, Bush even got re-elected for christs sake

• Advertisement

Sorry I didn't say it, I should have said I typed it, that ok? :D
    I quoted you - read the quote. I'm being deliberatly pedantic now, I know, but there you go. You didn't type it either.:) Anyway, I watched an anti-Israel protest a while back, and judging from the Garda responce, I've a fair idea why people aren't protesting. It involved batons and rapid arm movements. Also, this is a small country - everyone would be going "would you look at that clown Murphy, out running riot, the gimp of him"..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Topless protests, they're the way forward.

* Google gasprom topless protest for yourselves*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

okfine wrote: »
    Crazy to say it,but if anything is to come out of these last few years of whats been pure hell for the Irish economy..its that the Irish have continued to hold their heads high and have held onto their dignity.

No doubt about it this country really has something going for it :) its gained this country back such respect.

Ah thanks Enda. very nice of you to say that....:D:D

P.S. what exactly are you smoking by the way??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭The Irish Riddler

There is a lot of talk about protesting against the austerity measures/increased tax and new stealth taxes/paying E62bn to foreign bondholders/mick wallace getting E42k expenses on top of a E92k salary/household and water charges/welfare tourism ect ect ect.

When Enda Kenny was on the cover of Time magazine (a well respected internationally distributed publication) he was asked why the Irish people were not protesting.

On a Saturday morning you see small badly organised protests that amount to little more than a minor traffic disruption.

There are a lot of people who read boards and this is an ideal place to organise a mass protest that would get the governments attention and make them realise that they can't keep pushing us closer to the edge with each subsequent budget.

We have to stop giving out about all the cuts and get off our asses and make our out of touch public representatives aware of how difficult they have made things for us by bowing to EU (German) pressure.

Are YOU willing to show up to a protest march in Dublin?

What organisation would you respect enough to support their march?

Besides a march what else would YOU be willing to do in order to make the government aware they have bled us dry and there is no more to give?

Everyone has to pitch in or it will be too easy to ignore the minority who do speak up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I want free cake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

* opens fine wine and polishes monocle *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

We could have a dirty protest. It'd be quite fitting seen as the county's gone to sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Whats the ECT got to do with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

We have to stop giving out about all the cuts and get off our asses

• Advertisement

Where To wrote: »
    I want free cake
    how about we stop paying bondholders and invest in jobs so that you can afford to buy all the cake you can eat? Seems like a better plan than sitting around waiting for someone to give you free cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

Sorry im too busy in march. April maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Why does the protest have to be in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Super-Rush wrote: »

I've been to carlow ... that is all !

its where the head of government is located and the obvious focal point of the march.

Little point marching on the county council in Mayo.

get off our asses

Wait. You have an ass??

Fecking Mexicans with their free fecken donkeys from the social. No wonder the country is in a mess.
    /mumble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Where To wrote: »
    I want free cake

I suppose you'll be wanting to eat it too.....pfft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

Because protests outside of Dublin generally involve lots of slowly moving tractors and people with buckets collecting money for multi millionaires. embarrassing stuff really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Jesus, these E numbers sound cancerous!

On a Saturday morning you see small badly organised protests that amount to little more than a minor traffic disruption.

That's an early house not a protest.

If the quinns can get 4,000 to show up to a march to stop them being jailed from hiding E500m from taxpayers surely boards can organise a larger march to have more (or some at least) income after mortgage/rent & bills.

• Advertisement
Advertisement