Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What will it take to get you out on the street protesting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

alphabeat wrote: »
    * opens fine wine and polishes monocle *
    *brandy at the ready for swirling*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

its where the head of government is located and the obvious focal point of the march.

Little point marching on the county council in Mayo.

I'd sooner march to a ministers house than the Dail.

He/she's more likely to be at home than doing their actual job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

What organisation would you respect enough to support their march?

This one. It's an excellent march. Clap along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

There is a lot of talk about protesting against the austerity measures/increased tax and new stealth taxes/paying E62bn to foreign bondholders/mick wallace getting E42k expenses on top of a E92k salary/household and water charges/welfare tourism ect ect ect.

When Enda Kenny was on the cover of Time magazine (a well respected internationally distributed publication) he was asked why the Irish people were not protesting.

On a Saturday morning you see small badly organised protests that amount to little more than a minor traffic disruption.

There are a lot of people who read boards and this is an ideal place to organise a mass protest that would get the governments attention and make them realise that they can't keep pushing us closer to the edge with each subsequent budget.

We have to stop giving out about all the cuts and get off our asses and make our out of touch public representatives aware of how difficult they have made things for us by bowing to EU (German) pressure.

Are YOU willing to show up to a protest march in Dublin?

Besides a march what else would YOU be willing to do in order to make the government aware they have bled us dry and there is no more to give?

Everyone has to pitch in or it will be too easy to ignore the minority who do speak up.
    Best of luck with that.

Bitterly yours,
    Someone who tried this before and ended up being the subject of ridicule in a national newspaper. And FF were still in power at the time.

Eat more bacon. It tastes really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I'm not a recipient of social welfare and don't depend on the government for anything. Should I care about the cuts? pacman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭The Irish Riddler

We can organise it for a weekday to get ye out of school for the day. Obviously not the place for a proper discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bet this guy is thinking of the Children, also bet it's very hot where he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm not a recipient of social welfare and don't depend on the government for anything. Should I care about the cuts? pacman
    Minimum PRSI should be 29%.
    I'm not joking.

We can organise it for a weekday to get ye out of school for the day. Obviously not the place for a proper discussion.

After Hours not place for sensible discussion revelation shocker!

Careful where you throw those toys, that one nearly hit me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

No but you should damn well care about the cuts to hospital services, transport, etc and the lack of cuts to funding for dead banks and wanker politicans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Cuts are so bad for the smiley face family now, never mind not having a 'pot to p1ss in', these aren't even left with a colon:mad:

OK - on a serious note. Can I ask did you march the night the debate and decision was made about the Bank Guarantee? I did. And I didn't see too many there. And it made fck all difference.

Now you want to march after all the bondholders have been paid and the banks bailed out and the country is screwed.

Well done, too late for me, done and outta here. Screw paying for apathy.

I agree marching has a limited use but it gives people a way to vent and basically make the policians think of the consequences at the next general election.

Besides marching what can we do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

There is a lot of talk about protesting against the austerity measures/increased tax and new stealth taxes/paying E62bn to foreign bondholders/mick wallace getting E42k expenses on top of a E92k salary/household and water charges/welfare tourism ect ect ect.

When Enda Kenny was on the cover of Time magazine (a well respected internationally distributed publication) he was asked why the Irish people were not protesting.

On a Saturday morning you see small badly organised protests that amount to little more than a minor traffic disruption.

There are a lot of people who read boards and this is an ideal place to organise a mass protest that would get the governments attention and make them realise that they can't keep pushing us closer to the edge with each subsequent budget.

We have to stop giving out about all the cuts and get off our asses and make our out of touch public representatives aware of how difficult they have made things for us by bowing to EU (German) pressure.

Are YOU willing to show up to a protest march in Dublin?

Besides a march what else would YOU be willing to do in order to make the government aware they have bled us dry and there is no more to give?

Everyone has to pitch in or it will be too easy to ignore the minority who do speak up.

There is already a planned national anti austerity protest set for the 24 of November which Il be attending.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81108423&postcount=9424

Am Chile wrote: »
    There is already a planned national anti austerity protest set for the 24 of November which Il be attending.

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81108423&postcount=9424
    I wasnt aware of that. See you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I'd be up for this. Pints afterwards in Dr.Bollocko's house? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I agree marching has a limited use but it gives people a way to vent and basically make the policians think of the consequences at the next general election.

Besides marching what can we do?

All depends a route of a march and the numbers-my thoughts would be march down some of the busiest streets-march down o connel street,walk as slowly as possible, march over across the on connel bridge, march down the quay to the train station go around the other side and march back up blocking up the some of the busiest roads, march over the connel bridge again, march up to the dail then.

Am Chile wrote: »
    All depends a route of a march and the numbers-my thoughts would be march down some of the busiest streets-march down o connel street,walk as slowly as possible, march over across the on connel bridge, march down the quay to the train station go around the other side and march back up blocking up the some of the busiest roads, march over the connel bridge again, march up to the dail then.

Orange is a power color. It is one of the healing colors. It is said to increase the craving for food. It also stimulates enthusiasm and creativity. Orange means vitality with endurance. People who like orange are usually thoughtful and sincere. Lady luck's color is orange.

We could wear orange for lady luck and to show we are thoughtful and sincere.We could bang drums so the politicians are sure to hear us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

the problem with protesting in this country is the ULA or some other group of troublemakers get involved and what starts out as a peaceful march for whatever cause ends up having it's message corrupted and a load of scummers looking to cause trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Marching's been done and it didn't work. We need something new!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Where's this magical free cheese we were promised???

I for one demand answers....

Where's this magical free cheese we were promised???

I for one demand answers....

I had some of that, I was pulling in 1Kg / week of cheese at one stage earlier in the year, lovely cheese it was too.

Serious question: did anyone else get it? Because if not it looks like I ate the country's supply:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Boombastic wrote: »
    I had some of that, I was pulling in 1Kg / week of cheese at one stage earlier in the year, lovely cheese it was too.

Serious question: did anyone else get it? Because if not it looks like I ate the country's supply:eek:

When you say pulling in 1kg a week..were you getting paid in cheese?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

I'd be up for this. Pints afterwards in Dr.Bollocko's house? ;)
    Em, I might not make the march, but er, can I still go to the afters.?

ah, yes, protests. I believe international investment and tourism has increased in Greece since the protests began, bringing much needed cash into the country (or was that decreased :confused:)

(we done our protesting 18 months ago. through the ballot box. like grown ups)

When you say pulling in 1kg a week..were you getting paid in cheese?

More like a bonus

• Advertisement

Boombastic wrote: »
    Orange is a power color. It is one of the healing colors. It is said to increase the craving for food. It also stimulates enthusiasm and creativity. Orange means vitality with endurance. People who like orange are usually thoughtful and sincere. Lady luck's color is orange.

We could wear orange for lady luck and to show we are thoughtful and sincere.We could bang drums so the politicians are sure to hear us.
    he he he.

parade down Dublin's main streets wearing orange....

now, where did i see that before..

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomtherobot

Oh no not a march that'll have them quacking in their designer boots.

FFS the countries hopeless, miserable, we're being fucking screwed every which way. At the very least you need major civil disobediance and I for one would say there's a definate case to be made for more forceful action......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

MadsL wrote: »
    OK - on a serious note. Can I ask did you march the night the debate and decision was made about the Bank Guarantee? I did. And I didn't see too many there. And it made fck all difference.

Now you want to march after all the bondholders have been paid and the banks bailed out and the country is screwed.

Well done, too late for me, done and outta here. Screw paying for apathy.

I marched when the household charge was brought in. There was thousands of people there and it made a difference. Hundreds of thousands of people haven't paid the charges still. Get sufficient numbers and it can make a difference. The head count at that march was under reported IMO, they said 4k people...there was more than that there.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomtherobot

What kind of protest, armed or weak-ass hippy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

how about we stop paying bondholders and invest in jobs so that you can afford to buy all the cake you can eat? Seems like a better plan than sitting around waiting for someone to give you free cake.
    I don't want to pay for the cake though. I want someone else to pay for it while I enjoy it's delicious cakeishness.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

I don't care how much Pretty Woman glamorized it, there's nothing that would get me out on the street prostituting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Are we protesting for or against Boards?

If you get Buffalo Springfield and Lynyrd Skynyrd(the dead ones) to play then I will go along.

That depends entirely on their position on the Sponge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

These things never work because some nut always starts bringing totally inconsequential stuff like a random backbench TDs payscale into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Em, I might not make the march, but er, can I still go to the afters.?

Sure, the After Hours mods are paying for everything :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

alphabeat wrote: »
    * opens fine wine and polishes monocle *

* sits down beside Alphabeat with popcorn ready, breaks monocle and steals wine. Enjoys wine with popcorn *

Sorry Alphabeat :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

That doesn't matter. Just organise a general "I'm unhappy" protest, then each constituent part can claim that everyone supports their position.

This is the boost Shell To Sea have been waiting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't know enough about politics or economics - but if you can convince me I should; I'd protest.

Here's the thing - what are we protesting?

The austerity measures? Aren't those measures that are taken BECAUSE WE'RE F***ING broke? What's the alternative to not paying. I can protest paying my banks late fees - but what's the alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

okfine wrote: »
    Crazy to say it,but if anything is to come out of these last few years of whats been pure hell for the Irish economy..its that the Irish have continued to hold their heads high and have held onto their dignity.

No doubt about it this country really has something going for it :) its gained this country back such respect.

The African and South American banks are asking if Ireland would also take on their debt after the good job we did paying off Europe's. Do you think we should seeing that we have so much respect?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Student regestration fees increasing this year will cause a big uproar.Students don't have as many distractions as employed people,like pensioners they're the biggest group capable of large scale protest.

True but they aren't scared of students, they don't vote like the pensioners do.

actually one thing that might be worth an aul March is against he shocking delay in prosecutions against Fingers and Co. and any one involved in the Anglo share 'support' scam. (course some you might have to break out of Cavan/ Monaghan, not easy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

UCDVet wrote: »
    I don't know enough about politics or economics - but if you can convince me I should; I'd protest.

Here's the thing - what are we protesting?

The austerity measures? Aren't those measures that are taken BECAUSE WE'RE F***ING broke? What's the alternative to not paying. I can protest paying my banks late fees - but what's the alternative?

Yep - these are the austerity measures caused by US spending grossly more than WE earned, voting only for politicians who promised to SPEND even MORE, marching in the streets demanding HIGHER spending, kicking the arse of any politician who said we should cut back, demanding that the banks lend us money we couldn't afford to pay back, to buy houses that were transparently over priced.

Now that the Germans and the EU have saved our asses, we have to suck up the fact that WE screwed ourselves up and WE have to take the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Why does the protest have to be in Dublin?

One of the dumbest questions I've yet read in AH.

How does that make you feel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Merged with the "what will it take to get you out on the street protesting" thread from 2 days ago.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭cosbloodymick

Piliger wrote: »
    Yep - these are the austerity measures caused by US spending grossly more than WE earned, voting only for politicians who promised to SPEND even MORE, marching in the streets demanding HIGHER spending, kicking the arse of any politician who said we should cut back, demanding that the banks lend us money we couldn't afford to pay back, to buy houses that were transparently over priced.

Now that the Germans and the EU have saved our asses, we have to suck up the fact that WE screwed ourselves up and WE have to take the consequences.

You are misdiagnosing the cause of the problems we are now enduring.
    The Austerity measures we are enduring were not caused by us spending more than we earned. Ireland ran budget surplusses throughout the Celtic Tiger era. Although I agree we are spending more than we earn now because of the property collapse and the global recession. I don't recall ANY politician saying that said we should spend less during the bubble, or can you name any?
    The idea that the Germans and the EU are saving our asses is a load of crap. What is happening is that they are demanding of Irish taxpayers that we prop up insolvent private institutions which their banks lent to and they lend us the money to do so in order to protect the German/EU banks from any losses. We have a liability of 64 billion Euro to pump into the black hole of Irish banking. This transfer of losses from private investors to taxpayers is the greatest scam in capitalist history. I don't ever recall the same investors throwing around their financial gains to the ordinary taxpayer. Privatisation of profits and socialisation of losses and paddy the gobsh!te is sucking it up.
    http://youtu.be/qtGTnpCE4do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Oh no not a march that'll have them quacking in their designer boots.

FFS the countries hopeless, miserable, we're being fucking screwed every which way. At the very least you need major civil disobediance and I for one would say there's a definate case to be made for more forceful action......
    Like a ducks parade?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

One of the dumbest questions I've yet read in AH.

How does that make you feel?

Your obviously not here enough so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Mass popular protest without the leverage of violence is finished as a means of change in western democracies.

• Advertisement

Why does everyone assume we're broke because of the banks? The banks could never have gone bust and we'd still be in the midst of incredible austerity because we need to borrow 20b+ per annum to keep the country running.

The banks? Back to the pub with ye.

Advertisement