Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clancy Quay

Options
  • 18-10-2012 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Has anyone rented previously or currently in the Clancy Quay apartments at Islandbridge, We are thinking of moving, have not rented an apartment before so a bit weiry. The showers operate by way of storage heating (not electric), are they any good, do they take long to heat. Are the apartments warm, do they retain heat or will there be large heating bills. Also are there any shops etc in the complex or nearby. Are there good transport links nearby.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated,,,at our wits end looking for somewher decent to rent thats affordable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Swan Black

Hi, does anyone have any experience renting/ living in Clancy Quay apts at islandbridge. We are looking for somewher decent to rent. Any info would be greatly appreciated. The showers are not electric (storage heating) are they any good, do they take long to heat? Do the apts retain heat or will there be lagre heating bills, are there any shops in the complex or nearby? are there good transport links into town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I used to live in Bridgewater Quay next door to Clancy. Its a safe area, on the Chapelizod Road just a 3 minute walk away there are numerous bus routes. Only problems in the morning was a lot of the buses would be full up at that stop and would keep going. Not sure if it has improved since then. Cycling to the city center would actually be quicker than the bus.

Most shops are up in Kilmainham which is a 8-10 minute walk from Clancy. Not sure if any shops ever opened in Clancy, I saw To Let signs up on the units a few months back so I doubt they have.

Other than that I don't know anything about the apartments inside. I would read the renting guides in this forum -as this is your first time renting there are a lot of pitfalls and the advice there will help you avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Used to live in Bellevue and I loved the area but you are really stuck for shops and the buses are not as good as they used to be (lower frequency on Conningham road with most buses moving up to the N4).

Clancy Quay had a receiver appointed a while back and it seems that they are actively looking for a buyer. What's left will be put up on Allsops. Planning permission for 700+ granted. 420 built and of those, 60 were sold so we're looking at something in the region of 360 apartments being released to the market. That's going to completely swamp the local area. To put it into context, there's 2,432 ads for let in Dublin tonight so that's 15% of that number to come on stream in one go!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,343 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Not sure how safe it is with all the violence and vigilantes around there - see BBC1 on Sunday nights at 9pm!

(For those who think I'm serious, I am referring to "Ripper Street" which is filmed in Clancy Barracks.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

I live near them and they so seem to be quite pokey and dense and they have a LOT of glass frontage (floor to ceiling windows), what I tend to refer to as goldfish bowl apartments. So I'd be concerned about the cost of heating them with storage heaters during the winter, but then again they are like a said sort of on the tiny side, so perhaps not.
    The area on the whole is very safe, beside the Phoenix park and memorial gardens which is nice, and about 8-10 mins walk from a large Superquinn that's part of the HSQ complex

• Advertisement

conorhal wrote: »
    I live near them and they so seem to be quite pokey and dense and they have a LOT of glass frontage (floor to ceiling windows), what I tend to refer to as goldfish bowl apartments. So I'd be concerned about the cost of heating them with storage heaters during the winter, but then again they are like a said sort of on the tiny side, so perhaps not.
    The area on the whole is very safe, beside the Phoenix park and memorial gardens which is nice, and about 8-10 mins walk from a large Superquinn that's part of the HSQ complex

Bit too far for carrying a bag with a weekly shop really. If you're going to live there, you will need car or access to one. Hopefully, if they fill up CQ, a shop or two will open in the vacant ground floor commercial lots.

gaius c wrote: »
    Bit too far for carrying a bag with a weekly shop really. If you're going to live there, you will need car or access to one. Hopefully, if they fill up CQ, a shop or two will open in the vacant ground floor commercial lots.

You'd hope so, between all the apartments at Clancy, Riverbanks House, Bellevue. the council housing up the road and all of Bridgewater Quay you'd think there is enough local residents to sustain a small shop with the essentials. It would do the area a lot of good as at the moment its a long walk whatever direction you take.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/commercial-property/us-firm-buys-apartments-at-clancy-barracks-1.1418378
    A Californian-based investment group, Kennedy Wilson, is set to become the dominant landlord in the Dublin apartment letting market following its purchase of another “distressed” development of 420 residential units on the site of the former Clancy Barracks at Islandbridge, Dublin.

€80m / 420 apartments works out at €190,476 per unit which seems high. I think they got better value (and rental potential) when they bought the Gasworks. Mind you there is potential for another 300 apartments down the road so the per unit price will fall substantially when they eventually decide the time is right to go building again.

Good to see it change hands in any case, will hopefully mean some life is blown into the area. And even a shop to boot :D

RATM wrote: »
    €80m / 420 apartments works out at €190,476 per unit which seems high. I think they got better value (and rental potential) when they bought the Gasworks. Mind you there is potential for another 300 apartments down the road so the per unit price will fall substantially when they eventually decide the time is right to go building again.

Good to see it change hands in any case, will hopefully mean some life is blown into the area. And even a shop to boot :D

There's a lot of development land with the site and it already has planning permission so that should probably be taken into account re the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 miaowser

Is Clancy Quay not right next to the Red line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

miaowser wrote: »
    Is Clancy Quay not right next to the Red line?

Nope. Basically behind Heuston station. Trains go in along the side of it.

Scortho wrote: »
    Nope. Basically behind Heuston station. Trains go in along the side of it.

Along the side of the site but the only a small number of currently completed apartments are next to the rails (and it's that spur line that goes under Phoenix park).

Possibly too much info but I do have an interest in the area. :)

RATM wrote: »

Turns out it went for €61 million, not €80M.
    €145238 per apartment then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Argo123

Anyone else in Clancy Quay have a problem with mould in their apartments?
    We had a terrible problem last year, it stemmed from condensation. It is not a problem now in summer. However, we are afraid it may happen again this year, once Winter arrives. We had to get a new bed and lots of shoes, bags etc were destroyed. Crazy for a brand new apartment. I think a lot of people had the same problem.

They said the reason was "living conditions" which is completely unreasonable as I don't think everyone lives the same, there was only 2 people staying in my 2 bed apartment. As opposed to families etc with the same problem living in similar apartments who also had the same problem.

I would be interested to find out how many others this affected? I know everyone on my floor was affected it was very disappointing considering we moved into a brand new apartment. We are worried about spending another winter there - anyone else having this problem???

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

Argo123 wrote: »
    Anyone else in Clancy Quay have a problem with mould in their apartments?
    We had a terrible problem last year, it stemmed from condensation. It is not a problem now in summer. However, we are afraid it may happen again this year, once Winter arrives. We had to get a new bed and lots of shoes, bags etc were destroyed. Crazy for a brand new apartment. I think a lot of people had the same problem.

They said the reason was "living conditions" which is completely unreasonable as I don't think everyone lives the same, there was only 2 people staying in my 2 bed apartment. As opposed to families etc with the same problem living in similar apartments who also had the same problem.

I would be interested to find out how many others this affected? I know everyone on my floor was affected it was very disappointing considering we moved into a brand new apartment. We are worried about spending another winter there - anyone else having this problem???

Started happening to me too. Only in there since June, summer is fine winter mould started to grow around the windows. In saying that it isn't anywhere near the stage of it being a concern to me. Every couple of weeks I have to wipe the bottom of the window but that's it.

I'm in the black building so not sure if its worse for people in the larger buildings. Agree though it is ridiculous for it to happen at all in a brand new apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Looking to rent an apartment here hopefully in the next month. I rang the agency and have asked for bank statements not payslips which I thought was a bit odd?

My payslips will cover the rent but I'm wondering why they need bank statements, do they want to see what I do with the remainder of my money?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

username?! wrote: »
    Looking to rent an apartment here hopefully in the next month. I rang the agency and have asked for bank statements not payslips which I thought was a bit odd?

My payslips will cover the rent but I'm wondering why they need bank statements, do they want to see what I do with the remainder of my money?!

I used to work in a rental company and this was standard to make sure that you could cover the rent monthly. You can black out any personal information.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

xalot wrote: »
    I used to work in a rental company and this was standard to make sure that you could cover the rent monthly. You can black out any personal information.

Thanks for the reply.

So could I just provide my bank statement with my salary going in and everything else blanked out (my spending transactions)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

So long as they can see that you are in credit at the end of each month the rest can be blacked out. If you like just black out the detail but leave the amounts.

Some agents might be picky about looking for gambling details etc. but if you were in credit then it wasn't an issue in the place I worked....maybe just give the agent a call and let them know in advance in case they think you're being cagey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

We recently went to Clancy Quay for a viewing and provided couple of payslips and gave 3 month bank statement. I covered everything except the rent leaving the account and my salary being paid into the account. Nothing else was shown. Must have been ok, as we were offered a 1 bed, but turned it down, cos it was far too small for the money they were looking ;)

Advertisement