Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Price of Football

• 18-10-2012 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19842397

Sorted alphabetically before anyone goes nuts.

Some crazy prices in there, Leeds being the stand out of the crazyness.

St Pats season ticket was €200(£162) for this year.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Why are Leeds a standout? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Man City look like great value across the board in comparisson to Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal & Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Man City look like great value across the board in comparisson to Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal & Spurs.

Per capita, they have amongst the poorest fans in the league. Prices have historically reflected this.

As United fans leave the bandwagon to support City, expect prices to rise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

meriwether wrote: »
    Per capita, they have amongst the poorest fans in the league. Prices have historically reflected this.

As United fans leave the bandwagon to support City, expect prices to rise.

Well, there goes the thread :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Melion wrote: »
    Why are Leeds a standout? :confused:

Only 9 premier league clubs charge more than them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

City have always been that way and it's something to tip your hat to even if you don't like other things about the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Not very accurate figures , as a very regular traveller to Everton I always pay less than £40 for a seat in the Main Stand , they even have an offer on at the moment where you can buy three matches for £90 , thats £30 each , on top of that I get a half-price ticket for my son and all home FA Cup games last season were priced at £5 for Juniors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

As United fans numpty fans from a multitude of clubs & backgrounds leave the bandwagon to support City, expect prices to rise.

Bit more accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

As United Chelsea fans leave the bandwagon to support City, expect prices to rise.

You're doing the joke wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Xavi6 wrote: »
    City have always been that way and it's something to tip your hat to even if you don't like other things about the club.

I think FFP rules could force them to increase their prices for the purpose of breaking even although most EPL clubs are being encouraged to use the increase in tv money next season to freeze/reduce costs to the fans. If they can keep their ticket prices down whilst satisfying FFP rules then they would be onto a winner

• Advertisement

Some of the lower league prices are nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The Liverpool season ticket price is huge! Can't believe it in comparison to others in the league, especially in comparison to United and City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »

And when the inevitable price rise comes you'll undoubtedly stick a positive spin on it.

And it will come, once the Arabs can't spend huge amounts when they are trying to comply with FFP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Des wrote: »
    And when the inevitable price rise comes you'll undoubtedly stick a positive spin on it.

And it will come, once the Arabs can't spend huge amounts when they are trying to comply with FFP.

If they hit Arsenal prices I'll gladly say it's wrong just for you :)

So 13 posts in and 5 clubs have been flamed.

Thats good going TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I was surprised by how little difference there is between Liverpools most expensive and cheapest tickets are to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's almost €26 to get into see some League 1/2 teams play. What the hell!

The Spurs price is shocking as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Only 9 premier league clubs charge more than them.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Some of the lower league prices are nuts
    Oatesy23 wrote: »

It's not fair to compare prices for Premier League clubs with prices for Football League clubs because of the huge income that Premier League clubs get from television, sponsership and prize money which allow clubs with stadia with excess capacity to drop prices without denting their income. Football League clubs don't have that luxury.

There's also fewer games in the Premier League.

The cost of living across the UK is widely different, clubs have different facilities, different asperations/expectances and all of these factor in to the price and make comparisons difficult.

I'd rather go to Roots Hall and not pay £21. But cutting prices means cutting income. Which means cutting the playing budget. Which (likely) means a reduced ability to compete in the division.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It's not fair to compare prices for Premier League clubs with prices for Football League clubs because of the huge income that Premier League clubs get from television, sponsership and prize money which allow clubs with stadia with excess capacity to drop prices without denting their income. Football League clubs don't have that luxury.

There's also fewer games in the Premier League.

The cost of living across the UK is widely different, clubs have different facilities, different asperations/expectances and all of these factor in to the price and make comparisons difficult.

I'd rather go to Roots Hall and not pay £21. But cutting prices means cutting income. Which means cutting the playing budget. Which (likely) means a reduced ability to compete in the division.

This is correct, and furthermore clubs have to balance the optimum price they charge for entry, versus cutting prices too much.

It's the same in the LoI - Shels, the team I support, charge 15 quid in.

Now, if it was a tenner, there'd probably be more people at the match.

would it be 33% more people - no it wouldn't. So in effect, by charging 33% less on the price of a ticket and getting more punters through the door, they are costing themselves money.

Better to charge the 15 quid to the people willing to pay it, than to charge more people a tenner, but reducing overall income in the process.

Same goes for the opposite. If they increased the ticket prices by 25% to 20 quid, the fall off in attendance would likely be way more than 25%, and again, it would cost the club money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

elasticity Thursdays with Des :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Watching Football in North London ain't cheap. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the way city and united manage their tickets are completely different it seems or else the info is incorrect.

my season ticket cost me £28 per game for instance. they have citys most expensive match day ticket as £58 yet they have the most expensive season ticket as £695. so based on that price, if somebody wants to go to all 19 games its £1102, which is a huge distance from £695. buying 19 expensive tickets individually at united costs £988 which is only £38 off the most expensive season ticket, compared to £407.

these seats for £275 are known as gold value seats and are some sort of special membership offer and are very very limited in numbers. they basically give you the tickets that are left over and its not a season ticket, as you sit where you are told. the cheapest season tickets are actually £425 or £474 pounds, depending on how much membership you pay up front. uniteds membership does not apply to season ticket holders.

Watching Football in North London ain't cheap. :eek:

Its very cheap from here.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4UHMI3DR6O2iP617mknczOPQbHQZvqwNOZUu2VFB3wNT3yOs9

/ Runs. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Oatesy23 wrote: »

The Spurs price is shocking as well.
    When you consider it's only 10-15 euro here for some clubs in LOI of same standard yet people will complain about LOI prices first.

When you consider it's only 10-15 euro here for some clubs in LOI of same standard yet people will complain about LOI prices first.

I don't agree on the standard point, but regardless of that in my experience people use price as an excuse. Someone who says that a tenner to go to a LOI game is too much would find another excuse if the price was cut in the long run.

If cutting prices encouraged significantly more fans to go then clubs would cut prices. It's the market that sets the price and always will be.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't agree on the standard point,

I'm curious why not.

How big a sample size of each division have you seen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The list is only for PL games and not for European or domestic cup games.

You can get a EL ticket for a tenner and a cup ticket for £17 at Liverpool.

The season ticket price is madness though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Super-Rush wrote: »
    The list is only for PL games and not for European or domestic cup games.

You can get a EL ticket for a tenner and a cup ticket for £17 at Liverpool.

The season ticket price is madness though.

its the opposite at United. the cup tickets are the same price, so you could have Liverpool at home on the Sunday and barnet the following wednesday in the cup, for the same price. when those tickets (taken automatically from your card whether you go or not) cost up to £50, its a bit much.

they did drop the compulsory purchase for the EL last year and dropped prices by about £5-£8 depending on seat location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

GavRedKing wrote: »

Not if you like pie!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

To be fair, it's y'all that are the reason for the high prices. I'd say the likes of the Arsenal board are licking their lips at the obscene amounts people are willing to pay to travel to see the team play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I wonder are those prices pretty much nailed down to an exact science wrt to supply and demand? Possibly not. I've seen a few games on the lower end (eg Wigan) where there was tonnes of empty seats. Maybe Arsenal aren't charging too much but Wigan are?

I think I'll just start supporting Fulham. Get to stay in a decent part of London and see prem games for less than half the price of some other clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

149 for season ticket at the Cobblers, 2nd cheapest in the league. Opposite to that though, food and drink is extortionate. It is league 2s theatre of Dreams so an absolute bargain whatever the price.

Des wrote: »
    I'm curious why not.

How big a sample size of each division have you seen?

I wouldn't claim to be an expert about the LOI. I've seen a few games live at Tallaght and watch a few games per season on TV. I think the atmosphere is great and is actually a lot better than it tends to be most of the time in the lower leagues in England. In terms of the standard of football though I don't think it compares that favourably, especially not with the top half of League One.

That's not to say a Sligo or a Shamrock Rovers wouldn't batter Barnet or Dagenham & Redbridge. But I think overall the standard in the English lower leagues tends to be higher.

It doesn't really matter though. Whether it's Drogheda or Swindon, I don't think real fans go to their club to lap up the standard of football. They go because it's their club and they'll pay €15 or £21 to do so.

Advertisement