Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs tax on orders

Options
  • 18-10-2012 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Maybe someone can shed a bit of light on the circumstances thay you get charged with customs tax on orders.

I ordered (got it about a month ago now) a 808-d2 (Green Smoke type battery) PCC from China and got it shipped with DHL, that was ok but got an email from them from their depo in Shannon saying they needed a copy via email of my purchase by paypal (why I don't know as It wouldn't have been sent to Shannon if I hadn't paid for it), did that and when it arrived the following day I was hit with a customs import tax of €23, so with a product price of €16 and shipping cost to DHL of €20 then custom tax of €23, I ended up paying nearly €60 for a product that only cost €15.

Now I have been waiting for another order from China (HC) for 4 more 1300 mAh auto batteries and 3 more chargers, and got an email today from HC saying order returned by Chinese customs as they don't ship chargers, batteries or eliquid by airmail, and going to change it to EMS (extra cost obviously) but wondering if I will get caught for customs tax again by using an express delivery courier service. Anyone shed any light on this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

never been charged customs with EMS, you might get unluckcy but i've found they're generally ok

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Customs charge sounds way off. I would query the charge. Ask for a receipt with customs, VAT, and handling itemized on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i've paid around the same for lenses worth a few hundred euro in the past - but something worth €16? seems a bit extortionate. definitely query it. specially the vat involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

Like always with bills thrown away my customs receipt, but did check it before throwing it away. The total payment from paypal was €40 without customs about.
    Have decided against ordering with EMS as I have found a website in the UK that sells what I won't from China http://www.shopecigarette.co.uk
    and free shipping with the amount I spent. Cost more but will get it in 4 days rather than 4 weeks, and won't have the hassle of customs in future.
    Got a Echo starter kit (2, 1300 mAh auto batteries 808, 3 Echo 3ml cartomisers 808, charger, and ordered 1 more battery and charger and 2 more 3ml Echo cartomisers.
    BTW also found a juice a can vape all day :D the Dekang Red Cola juice. But dont think I will be using carts anymore but limited on cartomisers for 808's though so hope the Echo is a good un.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Stefan_Cork

the customs charge would usually be the current VAT rate, maybe there is a minimum charge. i paid € 23 for a shipment by DHL declared ca 150 dollars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I've ordered a lot of Astronomy stuff from the USA and its 4% Custom duty on the invoice value + Current Vat rate x (invoice value + Shipping cost) Shorthand used to be @Add about 25% to the cost.

€16 x 4%(Customs) = `64c
    €16.64 + €20(Shipping) = €36.64
    €36.64 x 23%(VAT) = €8.42
    €36.64 + €8.42 = €45.06

€15 Flat Rate Admin charge by courier company well within the realms of possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

Calibos wrote: »
    I've ordered a lot of Astronomy stuff from the USA and its 4% Custom duty on the invoice value + Current Vat rate x (invoice value + Shipping cost) Shorthand used to be @Add about 25% to the cost.

€16 x 4%(Customs) = `64c
    €16.64 + €20(Shipping) = €36.64
    €36.64 x 23%(VAT) = €8.42
    €36.64 + €8.42 = €45.06

€15 Flat Rate Admin charge by courier company well within the realms of possibility.

That total looks about right from what I can remember of the bill. Bit of a pain to be paying that amount on top of the cost, I've ordered from China before, and got stuff from the USA but that was sent by airmail and never got done before don't think I'll user a courier service again when ordering from abroad, I'll stick to airmail in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Izan

Message from another Chinese vender.
    Might shed a bit of light.
    http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.1230908

just a tickle
    "Dear Valued Customers
    China and Hong Kong Customs’ have temporarily increased package inspection due to China’s upcoming National Congress resulting in some shipping delays."

local venders might be a better option until late Nov.

Izan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Calibos wrote: »
    Yep, DHL do add on their own fee on top, which I've always thought is a bit cheeky because you've already paid for shipping.

Advertisement