Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Licence question

Options
  • 18-10-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Getting a bit confused with the info on the RSA site maybe someone has experience?

My Irish licence is due to expire at Christmas, so I want to renew it, just to have it as a form of ID but I dont drive in the UK; I drive occasionally when I get home for a few days. The RSA site says :

To be eligible to apply for an Irish driving licence you must be what’s termed ‘normally resident’ in Ireland, ie living here for at least 185 days in each calendar year.

Just thought it'd be easy..
    Any advice anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

While you're not allowed renew your Irish one, there'll be no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

You can do a straight swap of your Irish license for a UK one - but the snag is you have to send it off to the DVLA with your original passport (not a photocopy), so don't do it if you're planning to go abroad in the next couple of weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Posted rashly as I got a swift answer from the RSA. Funny but Im quite attached to my Irish Licence :( Right, off to the DVLA. Thanks!

Seriously, my actual passport?! That's ludicrous; I may have to go home short notice before xmas so guess Ill hold off :(

Actually, while Im here; do you know if not renewing your licence for a few years affects insurance? Say I dont renew and move back to Ireland in 5 years... will that affect it?

£50 for the exchange, only costs 15 euros to renew back home, grrr!

Posted rashly as I got a swift answer from the RSA. Funny but Im quite attached to my Irish Licence :( Right, off to the DVLA. Thanks!

Seriously, my actual passport?! That's ludicrous; I may have to go home short notice before xmas so guess Ill hold off :(

You'll be less attached to your Irish license when you realise you can merrily drive around Ireland with your UK one without fear of penalty points. ;)

• Advertisement

I may have to go home short notice before xmas so guess Ill hold off :(

The problem is, I don't think you can straight swap an expired Irish license for a UK one - check with them.

Cheers for the advice, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Yeah absolutely don't let the license expire.

Just FYI, I rang DVLA, and yes, you do need to post your passport (eek!) BUT they have an office in Wimbeldon that you can walk into and show your passport, and they'll stamp on your form they've seen it. So that might help someone in my situation in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i really, really, really don't think the person in the council offices at home are going to be too worried about where you're normally resident if you don't raise the subject with them.

just as UK licenses are handy in ireland, irish ones are handier here. just hand it over to the civilian working in a police station and bite your tongue to prevent outbursts of laughter.

• Advertisement

i really, really, really don't think the person in the council offices at home are going to be too worried about where you're normally resident if you don't raise the subject with them.

just as UK licenses are handy in ireland, irish ones are handier here. just hand it over to the civilian working in a police station and bite your tongue to prevent outbursts of laughter.
    This did cross my mind. Cheaper too. My old one is registered to my home address where my parents still live. And it's not like I use it a lot and whats the worst that could really happen? Whose to say I'm not moving home next month?

just as UK licenses are handy in ireland, irish ones are handier here.

This is why the thing to do is 'lose' your Irish license, apply for a new Irish one, then swap the 'lost' Irish license for a UK one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

serrity wrote: »
    This is why the thing to do is 'lose' your Irish license, apply for a new Irish one, then swap the 'lost' Irish license for a UK one. :D

that means going into a garda station and getting them to sign a form saying that you declare it to be lost. that's where i'd crack under pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Yeah you gotta send the passport alright, to Swansea of all places. They say a month to cover themselves but mine was back in a week :)

Remember they give you a counterpart licence here in the UK, like an a4 sheet of green paper. This is essentially half your licence and it needs to be produced for anything official. Keep it safe.

Yeah you gotta send the passport alright, to Swansea of all places. They say a month to cover themselves but mine was back in a week :)

Remember they give you a counterpart licence here in the UK, like an a4 sheet of green paper. This is essentially half your licence and it needs to be produced for anything official. Keep it safe.

Grand so. I think I might apply for an irish one and say nowt sure I dont actually use it over here (its just in case)

As I mentioned tho Brianderunner, there are four offices that you can walk into and just show your passport, so you dont have to send it if you are lucky enough to be near one of those offices; my nearest is Wimbeldon... just handy for those of us who might need to go back at short notice.

Ye are a fierce useful lot, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

My Australian res daughter recently renewed her lost 8 year out of date DL using her old Irish add and her Oz passport as ID.
    Download the form and renew it using an Irish address.

Advertisement