Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a year out from college to work in Canada

Options
  • 18-10-2012 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

I've just gone into the second year of my degree at UCD. I am extremely unhappy in college at the moment. I'm only 19 and I feel like I need to just take a step back for a while and give myself some time to experience the world, and just give myself some time to breath! I am planning on traveling to Canada after Christmas with a few friends to work full-time for about eight months.

I really don't know much about the process involved with working abroad in Canada. I have heard about the IEC programme but I don't really understand how it works. So, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me answer a few questions;
    • Is the IEC programme the only option available for obtaining a 1 year work Visa?
    • As an undergraduate student, is there a chance that I would not be accepted into the programme? (Are graduates greatly preferred?)
    • When do I start applying for my Visa? Now, or after I have been accepted into the programme and after I have found an employer?
    • Also, if anyone has worked abroad in Canada before, which city would you recommend living in. I want to live somewhere where it will be easy to find a job and is plenty of fun!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

• Is the IEC programme the only option available for obtaining a 1 year work Visa? Yes http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?view=d
    • As an undergraduate student, is there a chance that I would not be accepted into the programme? (Are graduates greatly preferred?) Shouldnt make any difference
    • When do I start applying for my Visa? Now, or after I have been accepted into the programme and after I have found an employer?When the program opens next month
    • Also, if anyone has worked abroad in Canada before, which city would you recommend living in. I want to live somewhere where it will be easy to find a job and is plenty of fun! Dunno what you do for fun what do you want to work at for the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Thanks a lot for answering those questions!

I live in a suburb in Dublin so I want to try something different to living in a big city. I was thinking about somewhere like Calgary. The city is not too big, but the main thing is that it is close to the mountains and nature. I plan on working in some sort of outdoor job such as forestry, gardening or agriculture. It would be nice to be able to spend my weekends doing activities like hiking, fishing or canoeing.

Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Thanks a lot for answering those questions!

I live in a suburb in Dublin so I want to try something different to living in a big city. I was thinking about somewhere like Calgary. The city is not too big, but the main thing is that it is close to the mountains and nature. I plan on working in some sort of outdoor job such as forestry, gardening or agriculture. It would be nice to be able to spend my weekends doing activities like hiking, fishing or canoeing.

Thanks!
    Never been to calgary,but if i were you i'd split it over 2 areas.I'd do 6 months east and 6 months west.Don't underestimate Halifax either,it's a great spot the irish haven't found yet which is good.I'd advise against the big city move in terms of going somewhere like vancouver or toronto as the rents are extortionate at times.Have a look around the niagara region (st.cathrines,hamilton etc etc.) in fact if i was you i'd try hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Have a look at Banff an hour and a half away from Calgary awesomely Beautiful

Thanks a lot for the advice man! I'll take a look at a few of those places. I honestly don't know a lot about the Geography of Canada!

Also, I've found that when looking at property rentals anywhere in Canada, very very few of the properties are furnished! Is that just how things work over there? Do you know any good websites for finding a house?

• Advertisement

Banff is where we originally wanted to go. But, we're worried that with a population of only 7,500, it might be difficult for all four of us to get a job. There also seem to be more people looking for rentals than there are offering them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

very few places are furnished....if you are looking to minimise furnishing costs, look to move in with someone who is just renting a room - would only need a mattress then.

Advertisement