Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying New PC

• 18-10-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

My Medion Akoya MD8393 looks to have given up the ghost. Mother-Board appears to be faulty. Constant re-booting and no reports of any errors. Changed PSU as sure that was the problem but same fault persists. HD seems to be fine no faults showing. Core tempratures all showing normal.
    Anyway looking at Dell XPS 8500 as an option. Has anyone any opinions on the specs.
    • 3rd gen Intel® Core™ i5-3450 Processor (3.10GHz, 6MB)
    • English Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
    • 4GB2 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
    • 1TB Serial ATA (7,200 rpm)
    • NVIDIA® GeForce GT 620 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card
    It is generally for home use and some video editing. I lovedd the old quad core Medion and wonder how this compares with it. ???
    Any suggestions or opinions greatfully received. Is Dell about the best place to buy in Ireland.? I would have been happy with the dell outlet refurbished model but little or nothing on Dell UK Outlet site.
    Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

If you don't mind Medion and spending 100 yoyos more, you'll get a Core i7 and better GPU at Komplett.

2Up8I.jpg

Y9dld.jpg

Either way, treat yourself to some more RAM, image and video processing is all about CPU power and memory (4 GB RAM is not enough).

Or build your own...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

copper04 wrote: »
    . Constant re-booting and no reports of any errors. Changed PSU as sure that was the problem but same fault persists. HD seems to be fine no faults showing.

Could be dodgy RAM. Have you tried taking out one stick (presuming you have two) and seeing if the problem persists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

mordeith wrote: »
    Could be dodgy RAM. Have you tried taking out one stick (presuming you have two) and seeing if the problem persists.

Can never rule it out, however, the easier way to test the RAM would be running memtest86+ ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Could even be a faulty power/reset switch on the case

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭copper04

Thank for the replies, I gave up on trying to find the problem and took the machine down to a PC repair shop. They did a Hard drive scan and say that
    a bad sector on the hard drive when running some software is the cause. New hard drive is suppose to solve the probelm. ? Have to take them at their word
    and hope probelm is solved, I will have it back tomorrow.
    Thanks for the assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Thank for the replies, I gave up on trying to find the problem and took the machine down to a PC repair shop. They did a Hard drive scan and say that
    a bad sector on the hard drive when running some software is the cause. New hard drive is suppose to solve the probelm. ? Have to take them at their word

I'm no expert but I would have though a bad sector would lead to maybe a BSOD and maybe ask you to do a CHKDSK on restart. Or just cause the software to lockup. Then again I'm probably talking thru my hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

mordeith wrote: »
    I'm no expert but I would have though a bad sector would lead to maybe a BSOD and maybe ask you to do a CHKDSK on restart. Or just cause the software to lockup. Then again I'm probably talking thru my hole

I'd be very surprised if it is/was a bad sector on the Hard Drive.
    That's not to say, that isn't what caused it.

Medion PC's Built in 2007/2008 had a lot of problems. Nvidia Defect was the main one. They never admitted it to my knowledge, it was mainly because they were only starting out and they may have been hit with the bill.
    I remember (I think on this forum) someone having a problem with their Medion shutting down all the time about a year ago, weirdly he/she said it didn't happen again after they installed linux on it, so maybe it was some conflict with windows and a driver(s).

Another person on another Forum said resetting it back to factory settings (After backing it up), ad it working perfectly again.

Had you just recently upgraded your Video card drivers?

Also, if you still want to buy a new PC anyway, You should read through some of THESE BUILDS and maybe consider asking Hardwareversand to build it for you. I haven't used them in a while, but i think you add €30 for them to do that. You'll have to double check that last price.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭copper04

I guess they could take me for a ride on this one. They offered to transfer data from the old Hard Drive to the replacement free of charge if it can be recovered. I won't even be certain they have replaced the drive so I'm going to insist on having the old drive returned. It's going to cost me one way or the other. If I had been a bit wiser I would have taken note of the current hd.
    Thanks for brilliant advice on this problem.

Advertisement