Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duo looking for trad/folk singing songs to play

Options
  • 18-10-2012 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi

Myself and my sister are starting a two piece acoustic band. I play the guitar and she can play fiddle, flute, tin whistle and cajon. We have our setlist already but need more traditional songs for it.

I was wondering does anyone know any lively songs along the line of The Pogues, Damien Dempsey, Planxty, Christy Moore etc. that she could play along to with the trad instuments and i could sing.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

"You couldn't have come at a better time" by Luka Bloom, the rift at the chorus is the Kesh Jig.

Heard a guy in Cork recently singing a smashing version of "Johnny Jump Up"

Oh and if you have 10 minutes to spare "Musgrave" Christy / Planxty.

Anything by this genius http://members.pcug.org.au/~jcarroll/muses/jimmymf.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

gavo82 wrote: »
    Hi

Myself and my sister are starting a two piece acoustic band. I play the guitar and she can play fiddle, flute, tin whistle and cajon. We have our setlist already but need more traditional songs for it.

I was wondering does anyone know any lively songs along the line of The Pogues, Damien Dempsey, Planxty, Christy Moore etc. that she could play along to with the trad instuments and i could sing.

Cheers

Damien in the same breath as Planxty/Pogues/Christy ...really ...he couldn't make it as a song writer then tries to reinvent himself as a modern day folk singer ala Luke Kelly. But the media love him, seems to be talking on radio all the time.

Think a wee bit wider and instead of the same old 50 songs heard around Dublin pubs take some non standard folk songs and use your good range of instruments to blend into your own style. Create a different sound within the ballad genre, maybe pull out a few bluegrass or US country songs and put an Irish style to them. Banks of the Ponchartain ( not the Lakes) could be done nicely. Lone Star State of Mind is nice too. Heard a great version of Tougher Than the Rest in Norway one time by a trad group on Fiddle and Guitar. Always stuck in my mind. If I needed You by Townes Van Zandt in an uplitfing style. For a listener, a song with a good beat makes the difference, doesn't have to be fast, just get their feet tapping. If I Should Fall Behind in Waltz style, Sprinstseen Live in Dublin CD has it or the Henry Girls also have it on their album.

Good luck, post an update where ye play, may get up some Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 gavo82

trad wrote: »
    "You couldn't have come at a better time" by Luka Bloom, the rift at the chorus is the Kesh Jig.

Heard a guy in Cork recently singing a smashing version of "Johnny Jump Up"

Oh and if you have 10 minutes to spare "Musgrave" Christy / Planxty.

Anything by this genius http://members.pcug.org.au/~jcarroll/muses/jimmymf.htm

great shout with Luka Bloom tune...that's exactly what we want!!

you know anything else along them eyes??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

You could have a look at the Waterboys Bang on the Ear and my favourite, A man is in love. The fiddle passage at the end of the tune is Callipoe House.

Marino Waltz is a lovely tune to moderate things and you could throw in South Wind and Inisheer as well.

Some good advice there from bridster007. Nothing like hearing a song out of context played well.

Advertisement