Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP FOR MARTA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

iya79 wrote: »
    Marta Salacka of Castleconnell has leukaemia and needs €20,000 euro for an air ambulance so she can spend her final days at home with her parents in Poland. Joe's been speaking to Laura English about Marta's story:
    http://www.live95fm.ie/music/podcasts-list.aspx?show_guid=dcd1e092-c888-4aa8-849c-9a0abbb5c296

Thanks!

Poor girl.
    http://www.gofundme.com/1chbnw#description

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

There's also a collection bucket on the counter in Burger King on O'Connell Street where Marta works. Every little helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

As of 11.40pm over 6,000 euro has been raised through gofund me, plus the amounts donated into the AIB and BOI accounts. Best wishes to everyone who is involved with the fundraiser at Ahane GAA clube tomorrow night and Joe Lawler is putting on two buses from the fire station in town leaving between 8-8.30pm to Castleconnell as a donation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Is she still working in Burger King???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Up to 16k :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

over 18k fair play guys xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Melion wrote: »
    Is she still working in Burger King???

Yeah she has been flipping burgers between chemo treatments for months and in her last few weeks to live she is desperate to work for minimum wage.

Indeed this is all a scam, she isnt even sick, I bet they are going on a round the world trip.

The above appears to be how you are thinking from your post in AH.

Must be ****ing horrible to be you and think like you.

Let the girl die in peace and dignity. Dont donate if you dont want but what is to be gained by throwing cynical comments at the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

john_cappa wrote: »
    Yeah she has been flipping burgers between chemo treatments for months and in her last few weeks to live she is desperate to work for minimum wage.

Indeed this is all a scam, she isnt even sick, I bet they are going on a round the world trip.

Let the girl die in peace and dignity. Dont donate if you dont want but what is to be gained by throwing cynical comments at the situation.

Had a read of the thread in AH. Some people really cannot see the good in anything.

john_cappa wrote: »

Sorry but people die all over the world every second of every day. Why should I feel any worse for this lady than I do for anyone else? Because she is in a foreign country? Her choice to come and stay here. The only person I'd feel bad for is her son

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sorry but people die all over the world every second of every day. Why should I feel any worse for this lady than I do for anyone else? Because she is in a foreign country? Her choice to come and stay here. The only person I'd feel bad for is her son

Don't post in this thread again.

• Advertisement

Don't post in this thread again.

Why's that? Because someone questioned me on something? I'm well within the forum charter to reply, nothing I posted was offensive.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Why's that? Because someone questioned me on something? I'm well within the forum charter to reply, nothing I posted was offensive.

Both of your posts were insensitive enough to cause offence. Stop posting in this thread. It's not open to argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Feel sorry for her and her family.

But E20,000 is a bit much. It wouldn't have cost a fraction of that to have her parents travel over and stay with her here until she passes.

I dont know would an Irish person working in Poland receive that level of charity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

personally from you'r posts here and in the After hours forum i find you ridiculously offensive im also sure there's a part of you that's just trolling the forums but to answer your questions she USED TO WORK in burger king now maybe she is still employed by them but i can promise you if you go into burger king she will not be serving nor cooking anything for anyone the girl (yes she is a friend of mine) has been given a specific amount of time left so please if you do have a problem with it just please keep it to yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

I'm willing to take the infraction for this.

You sir, are a wanker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

martomcg wrote: »

But E20,000 is a bit much. It wouldn't have cost a fraction of that to have her parents travel over and stay with her here until she passes.

I dont know would an Irish person working in Poland receive that level of charity

She wants to go home.
    She wants and in fairness needs to surrounded by family and friends in her last days.
    Family is more than ones mam and dad, its the cousins aunts and uncles and even friends that are part of growing up..
    Comparing the cost of flying Marta's family here to the cost of flying her home ignores the sense of family and security that come with being at home surrounded by all those who love her.
    And its better to help her get home alive to be comforted in the love of her family in her final days, and indeed if she wants to be laid to rest in Poland it will probably be cheaper and more comforting for her family to help her home now where they can support her, than for her to be repatriated post mortem.
    My thoughts are with her husband and son at this time, I know what it feels like to be left widowed and parenting alone....
    I hope that the rallying of community and support of their friends will be of some comfort to them on the hard road ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

I feel sorry for Marta and am glad that people here are generous enough to donate. However, I'm a little uneasy that the fund was increased this morning from 20K to 25K.

I also don't think an Irish person would receive a fraction of that charity if they were in an equivalent situation in Poland but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do our best for Marta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Wow, that is so harsh :eek::(:(:(:(

This girl is only in her twenties with a young child and she is facing a potential death sentence, I hope you'll never have to deal with anything as scary or distressing as that.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Wow, that is so harsh :eek::(:(:(:(

This girl is only in her twenties with a young child and she is facing a potential death sentence, I hope you'll never have to deal with anything as scary or distressing as that.

It may be harsh, but so is life. IMO there are far sadder things happening all over the world on a daily basis, kids being murdered for wanting to go to school? Much worse in my eyes.

Since the mod has decided not to reply to my pms and explain why I'm not to post in here ill post away until he wants to grow up a bit.

It may be harsh, but so is life. IMO there are far sadder things happening all over the world on a daily basis, kids being murdered for wanting to go to school? Much worse in my eyes.

Since the mod has decided not to reply to my pms and explain why I'm not to post in here ill post away until he wants to grow up a bit.
    Well unfortunately there is very little we can do for those kids and other distressing issues going on in the world but at least we can help this poor girl and her family to get her final wish. If you have nothing positive or helpful to say regarding the issue then kindly f*ck off (I'm also willing to take an infraction) and take your negative attitude somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

The reason for the high cost is because of all of the medical care she needs while travelling, not just the air ambulance, but also the transfers to and from the airports. They tried every which way to get Marta home by alternative means, but it is not possible. Her family and friends would have been able to cover the costs if she had been able to travel by ordinary means.
    Years ago I lived in England and when an Irish person had a wish to go back to Ireland to die or to be buried, people raised funds for their wishes to be fulfilled by having benefit dances etc. The Irish community and everyone else chipped in. This is the same.
    I for one am so glad Marta's wishes will be fulfilled. For one so young to face death and never see her son grow up is enough to deal with, at least she can be cared for where she wants to be.
    BTW the fund is over 25K now and well done to everyone who worked tirelessly on the fundarising, those who donated and those involved in the event tonight.

Melion banned for a month for:

a) repeatedly posting insensitively, going totally against the intended spirit of this thread,
    b) deliberately ignoring a mod's instruction (twice) and
    c) making personalised comments about a mod in-thread, thus dragging it off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

They have already travelled here, but she may want to say goodbyes to extended family and friends and she may want to be buried there (only speculation on my part but I knew someone who came back to Ireland for these reasons exactly).

I think they may, look at what happened with James Nolan.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Melion banned for a month for:

a) repeatedly posting insensitively, going totally against the intended spirit of this thread,
    b) deliberately ignoring a mod's instruction (twice) and
    c) making personalised comments about a mod in-thread, thus dragging it off topic.

If I could nominate anyone to mod After Hours, it would be you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bfitzmunster

Dear moderator,
    As a mark of respect to Marta and her family and the kind decent people of this country of all nationality's can you remove the posts contained in this thread which cause offence please?
    I don't know Marta or her family but I'm glad her wish to be brought back to her place of comfort can now be fulfilled and fair play to everyone who has donated.
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

the poor girl and her family I cant imagine how they are feeling and fair play to everyone, Melion you are a sad person, I hope life treats you the same way you treat other people you sad individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Such a pretty girl too. I can't even imagine what they are going through.

http://www.thejournal.ie/young%20-mum-e20000-dying-wish-leukaem%20ia-641662-Oct2012/

My heart goes out to her and her family, and its much nicer to see money go towards a worthy cause, rather than a ministers pay-rasie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    Such a pretty girl too. I can't even imagine what they are going through.

http://www.thejournal.ie/young%20-mum-e20000-dying-wish-leukaem%20ia-641662-Oct2012/

My heart goes out to her and her family, and its much nicer to see money go towards a worthy cause, rather than a ministers pay-rasie.

The Journal can be a bit like AH at times, its surprising to see so many nice comments!

Over 32k on the fundraising page now. Fantastic! Fair play to everyone involved :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

This is awful. She was class looking too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement