Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your costs keeping a dog each year

• 18-10-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Worked it out for myself today,medium sized dog.
    Insurance petinsure.ie 216,
    Food redmills leader Adult 140 per yr,
    Vet annual check up and shots 50,
    Pet shampoo,worming,treats 100.
    Reckon we are talking between 510-550 a year,is this excessive or average.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I'm not going to add it up, it's too depressing. I probably spend more than that on treats:(:eek::(

Your food bill seems way too low - I can't believe you feed a dog for a year on 140

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Not excessive at all! Heres the cost of my girls and boys - 3 dogs:

Food (Rocco/Rinti) 140 euro per month x 12 = 1680 per year
    Treats/ Fresh chickens 40 euro per month x 12 = 480 per year
    Annual vet fees 800 euro per year (approx) (two of them are on long
    term treatment - no
    pet insure)

Bits and bobs probably 200 euro per year (if Im careful!)

That comes to a grand total of : 3160 euro (:eek: oh my god!! - never really
    totted it up before!)

Divide by 3 = 1054 euro per year per dog.....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

I have no idea but tbh I have no problem spending on her.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I think it's about this for two dogs

Food - Robbies - 540
    Dentastix - 200
    Treats - 208
    Insurance 300
    vet visits for innoculations - 120
    kennelling for 2 weeks 350
    Toys, christmas etc - 100

So about 1818 per annum and I don't mind a bit of it, they are so worth it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

ooh I'd hate to add up how much my lot cost me!

My biggest expense is definitely vet fees and none of them are insured (or insurable)
    In the past 2 months I've spent about €2,000 at the vet
    Food is about €1000
    treats - not much as I usually use home made stuff or their dinner
    Toys - probably about 100 through the year
    Training and competitions - about €2,000 and that's just 1 dog out of the 4 :eek:

Then there is clothes to walk and compete in, travel expense for shows that aren't local etc etc

I have just realised I am working purely to keep my dogs and teenager happy:confused:

aw well it keeps me happy too :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭JD Green

That's some money ye're spending on dogs.

At the very most my 2 and the parents 2 cost about €200 a year, €9 a bag from aldi and 2 bags a month. The rest of the food comes from a local knackery.
    None of them have ever been to the vet nor are they insured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

JD Green wrote: »
    That's some money ye're spending on dogs.

At the very most my 2 and the parents 2 cost about €200 a year, €9 a bag from aldi and 2 bags a month. The rest of the food comes from a local knackery.
    None of them have ever been to the vet nor are they insured.

I wouldnt even want to know what i spend on mine.

Some people put a lot more into their dogs than just a bag of food from Aldi. I feed mine very good quality food, they get treats, toys, bedding etc.

Do you not worm or vaccinate your dogs? They should be wormed at the very least every 4/5 months. Vaccinations are usually every year but thats debatable now whether they need to be done every year or not.

There is no way someone could pay for their dogs on 200euro a year, not a hope!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭JD Green

andreac wrote: »
    I wouldnt even want to know what i spend on mine.

Some people put a lot more into their dogs than just a bag of food from Aldi. I feed mine very good quality food, they get treats, toys, bedding etc.

Do you not worm or vaccinate your dogs? They should be wormed at the very least every 4/5 months. Vaccinations are usually every year but thats debatable now whether they need to be done every year or not.

There is no way someone could pay for their dogs on 200euro a year, not a hope!!

They're on the best of food; fresh raw meat with a small handful of nuts.

Their medical regime is as follows: dip them with the neighbours sheep in June; does fleas and worm them with the stuff for the cattle whenever there are worms in their ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

id be afraid to go working it out!!
    st bernard and 2 maltese terriers here.

grooming alone costs a fortune 90 for big dog and 50-60 each for the smaller ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

This is making me cringe :eek:

For our 3:
    I'm estimating our food bill to be approx €800/yr
    Insurance: €1,000/yr
    Additional vet fees (excess/microchipping/vax: everything that can't be claimed back from insurance): so far about €300 (and we've only had 2 of the dogs since April)
    Kennel fees for hols: €200/yr
    Misc (toys, etc): €100/yr
    Kitchen roll to clean up after the Rottie with the weak bladder: priceless :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

There's no way in hell I'd calculate up what it costs for my 6 dogs, especially as I have agility training and competition fees like BelongToJazz but not with 1 dog, with 5.......!!!

I'd need to have a stiff drink ready to get over the shock :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

God only knows....

2 medium dogs.

Food - probably about €700 a year. Sometimes a bag can last barely 3 weeks, sometimes it can last a month. My twos are not gobblers and can turn up their noses sometimes. On top of that I throw in meat, eggs, sardines as well.

Usually I buy treats in bulk, last time I spent about €40 in June and still going strong. Toys, maybe about €20, not that much.

Bedding. I'd say this year so far I've spent about €200 on bedding. Benson shredded a few. Also new leads or collars €20 this year, and my two have both lost a tag each this year, another €20

Vets- this year I've spent just under €500. But last year was a good year, no sickness only vaccs. On top of that - worming and fleas - €130 ish.

I don't have to pay for kennelling, if we head away our neighbour looks after them but we usually buy him a gift maybe about €50, which he always gives out about, he loves them and does it to help him pass the day (he's retired).

so that's about €1750 for the two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Sappa wrote: »
    Worked it out for myself today,medium sized dog.
    Insurance petinsure.ie 216,
    Food redmills leader Adult 140 per yr,
    Vet annual check up and shots 50,
    Pet shampoo,worming,treats 100.
    Reckon we are talking between 510-550 a year,is this excessive or average.

seems extremely low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I wouldn't like to think what ours costs:
    Food is about €20 a month
    Medicnes between €30-40 at this stage
    Whatever regular shots etc cost and a check up at the vets every few months.
    €12 a night at kennels when we're away, which has not been much this year so thats maybe €50 so far this year.
    Thats on top of unexpected costs that occasionally pop up.
    Have him for almost 13 years now and hes worth it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

seems extremely low
    Looking at the food bill again I get about 2.5 months out of a 15kg bag,he gets a lot of our left overs/bones and I often buy ham once a week say add on another 80 to the food bill that would bring it in at 600 tops.
    Fair play to the folks spending so much on your dogs,it seems an awful lot of money but each to their own.
    I cannot understand the massive food bills though,my fella has a great appetite and the leader is a good food combined with our scraps he is in top health thankfully but I would be interested to hear what food costs so much,I give him a cup a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

I feed our guy fresh food, a mixture of raw and cooked and I get a weeks worth of meals for about 8e so that is 416 on basic food alone. eek, I fear I dont want to total the rest between bedding, vaccinations, flea prevention, toys, leads, kennel, replacement kongs, training classes, treats and grooming. As a long haired dog it's 80e a pop and that is even with him getting a good brush on a daily basis.

We only have him a year so maintainence costs aside our carpet on our stairs will need replaced soon since he sneakily took a bloody bone from the butchers and started munching it on the corner step (no amount of cleaning will get those stains of a cream carpet), when he was teething he also had a good chew on our white skirting boards in the hall on afternoon when he we were making dinner and he puked the first time we took him in the car and that required a very expensive valet to sort that (!)

Worth every penny though the little scamp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I couldn't be bothered adding it up because no matter how much it is, I wouldn't begrudge it for all the smiles they give me.

I couldn't be bothered adding it up because no matter how much it is, I wouldn't begrudge it for all the smiles they give me.
    Nonine is begrudging it here,just curious as you need to budget for a dog and zi often wonder how people do it with 3 dogs or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

think this is going to scare me...

heres goes:

Vaccinations per year: €80
    Burns Food €350
    Salmon Oil €60
    Pet Insurance €256
    Grooming / Clip €300 (4 clips)
    Treats (endless but at a guess) €250
    Worming / the tick stuff €120 (€10 per month)
    Beds €50
    Toys €100

so in and around €1,500

Deep down i know its more between treats etc :D

Not including kennels of course :P

But he is worth every cent!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

:eek::eek::eek:

Tra la la la laaaaaa...

*sticks fingers in ears*

*reverses out of thread asap*

Tra la laaaaaaaaa

:o:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

I suppose it goes without saying... but nobody has mentioned a Dog License.

OneIdea wrote: »
    I suppose it goes without saying... but nobody has mentioned a Dog License.
    Because I don't have one and won't get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

Because I don't have one and won't get one.
    Good for you and your right not getting one... unfortunately for me inspectors do call around every number of years so we just get it to avoid the hassle:(

PS: sorry for the OT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Nobody is including depreciation :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

My dogs a pedigree so insurance is like €200
    Bag of science plan is like €13 (generally on special) and its last a month
    She never really has had health issues in the last year so no vet and she only gets the cheap pedigree treats.

Total is €356 per year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I've just calculated that I spend 300 a year on worming pills....
    prob cheaper to just worm myself:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

My God when you add it up :eek: I just told my husband the total. I don't think we'll be getting a second dog anytime soon :D

This year for one dog.
    Food 300 and something probably
    Insurance 120
    vaccinations 35
    other vet (to date this year) 70
    Grooming 115
    Kennelling 50
    Other... 200?

"Other" includes treats, toys, bits and bobs and I tend to keep trying new harness/ collars til I find the perfect non pull one :o 200 is just a wild guess.
    That's all outside of the initial outlay of beds, raising fences, training etc.

Her beds are getting very worn now and she needs a new one. I'm currently making one which when finished will have cost me the grand total of 1 euro and some time :) Thrifty pet ownership.... I should start making treats instead of buying. The rest of it is pretty non negotiable really though I suppose I could learn to groom/ demat her properly myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

SAVE $$$$$$$$$ CUT THE VACCINATIONS OUT!!!!!!

Recommended against by highest veterinary authorities after one year. Maximum should be every three, not that many vets realise / tell you. Think how often do we get the MMR. Boosters are disastorous for little systems.

If you really want to spend money ask for a titre test after 5 years, that'll tell you they're still immune.

Spend the money on treats!

DogsFirst wrote: »
    SAVE $$$$$$$$$ CUT THE VACCINATIONS OUT!!!!!!

Recommended against by highest veterinary authorities after one year. Maximum should be every three, not that many vets realise / tell you. Think how often do we get the MMR. Boosters are disastorous for little systems.

If you really want to spend money ask for a titre test after 5 years, that'll tell you they're still immune.

Spend the money on treats!
    Lots of insurance companies won't cover a claim if the dog is not yearly vacinated.
    Otherwise I agree with ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Lots of insurance companies won't cover a claim if the dog is not yearly vacinated.
    Otherwise I agree with ya

Same with kennel not accepting dogs without yearly vaccination.

Advertisement