Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win €50 Attention Media Studies peoples

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Cheap labour

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Cheap labour

It's better than not paying anyone, that €50 might be desperately needed by an entrant. If you've got nothing productive to say why do you bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

mrmeindl wrote: »
    It's better than not paying anyone, that €50 might be desperately needed by an entrant. If you've got nothing productive to say why do you bother.

Granted it's a competition with €50 up for grabs but the fact is if someone designs a good logo you will use it for years so it is cheap labour...

Seeing as the chemsoc is probably one of the bigger socs in CIT I'd say 100 quid would be better. But you're not going to change it just because I said it's not enough so I won't be entering :)

mrmeindl wrote: »
    My statement may not be productive for you but it might be productive for a naive media student whom might end ups spending valuable study time competing with collegues to produce works for an extraordinary low reward (I use the word reward lightly). Media students should not allow themselves to be exploited or be involved in exploititive competitions. These so called competions devalue media design students work.

I stated 'cheap labour'. That is simple and factual without any implications applied. You stated that students might be desperate and will do anything to produce this work. Not a good start really.

As for a better approach to take: First off If I were you I would get volunteer members of the chemsoc to take part in a participatory design process. Look it up. Get them to produce sketches of the logo individually after providing them with a design brief: Look that up as well.

Choose the top three sketches and review them, iterate them. The result should be one clear design that all participants agree on. Ask for advice about this final result with media students. I am sure they would be more than happy to help in this case.

The bottom line is that it wouldn't cost you a penny, you would not be exploiting media students, you would be working respectfully with media students. Tis about principle, no media student should work for peanuts no matter how desperate they are percieved to be.

I hope I have educated both yourself and media students by this post. The main points being;1: Students; don't do free work for anyone that proposes a competition, 2: Clients; show some respect, don't expect free work done and don't think that media students will sell their souls for a crisp 50 euro note.

I'm only spending time on this because it is a society, education is the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Dermighty wrote: »
    Granted it's a competition with €50 up for grabs but the fact is if someone designs a good logo you will use it for years so it is cheap labour...

Seeing as the chemsoc is probably one of the bigger socs in CIT I'd say 100 quid would be better. But you're not going to change it just because I said it's not enough so I won't be entering :)

I think you hit the nail on the button there, if you are not interested in €50 then ignore it and move on.

I see having the logo used for years to come far more important than the cash. Students looking to work in the design industry need to build portfolios and this is a good opportunity. The money should be only a bonus to say you've won.

Also the chem soc are not looking for comprehensive brand guidelines and reports done up for explain the design of the logo so realistically this could be done in under an hour. Students leaving college working for design companies will be earning far less than €50/hr starting off.

CIT has it's own logo guidelines so the chemsoc logo may not be able to include the CIT logo unless it's approved by the marketing unit.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12 OctoberRain

I think you hit the nail on the button there, if you are not interested in €50 then ignore it and move on.

I see having the logo used for years to come far more important than the cash. Students looking to work in the design industry need to build portfolios and this is a good opportunity. The money should be only a bonus to say you've won.

Also the chem soc are not looking for comprehensive brand guidelines and reports done up for explain the design of the logo so realistically this could be done in under an hour. Students leaving college working for design companies will be earning far less than €50/hr starting off.

CIT has it's own logo guidelines so the chemsoc logo may not be able to include the CIT logo unless it's approved by the marketing unit.
    Gotta love academics and their quotes;)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Gotta love academics and their quotes;)

Unsure what you mean by 'academics and their quotes' as I've never been a class lecturer! My quotation was based on first hand experience working in that profession for many years.

I have worked previously doing graphic design for many years and have extensive experience doing work for various companies. Everything from posters, fliers, brochures, magazines, t-shirts, merchandise, billboards, newspaper supplements in national newspapers etc etc....

And again, when trying to get work in design having a good portfolio of work is essential. Whether you want to enter some society competition or not is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 OctoberRain

Unsure what you mean by 'academics and their quotes' as I've never been a class lecturer! My quotation was based on first hand experience working in that profession for many years.

I have worked previously doing graphic design for many years and have extensive experience doing work for various companies. Everything from posters, fliers, brochures, magazines, t-shirts, merchandise, billboards, newspaper supplements in national newspapers etc etc....

And again, when trying to get work in design having a good portfolio of work is essential. Whether you want to enter some society competition or not is up to you.
    Your hired;) I was jokingly referring to your double quote of hitting the button on the head (or the other way around).

I guess your one weakness would be sensitivity, sure that is not a bad thing, it shows latent passion;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I closed this thread for two reasons:

~ Closing date according to the facebook linkie here from the op was Oct 31st;
    ~ I'm not comfortable with a thread of this kind being open
    ...manly point #1 though.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement