Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best in ear thermometer????

Options
  • 18-10-2012 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with regards to digital in ear thermometers. I've been looking at reviews online of various ones but can't seem to choose one! Which one do you swear by?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We use the Braun 4520 Thermoscan Ear Thermometer. Our GP recommended it. It's the one she uses. We find it good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Braun-ThermoScan-IRT4520-Ear-Thermometer/dp/B0001D0LMS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350567788&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I have the Braun one. I got it as a present when my baby was born. I find it good! When I had to bring baby to nowdoc when he was small they had one too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭skeptik

thank you both :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

We have the Braun one too and find it great..

The only issue we have with it is, you have to wait a good while between uses as it can give inaccurate readings if you don't..

For example if you took your childs temp at 10pm and it was 38, and you took it again at 10.20pm it could read 38.9 which could be wrong, because you didn't give it time to cool down properly.. it can be quite confusing and can cause undue alarm..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

never got accurate readings using ear ones, apparently not recommended for under 3s. Infrared gives more consistent readings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

never got accurate readings using ear ones, apparently not recommended for under 3s. .

Every time we've been to the Doctor with our Son, since he was born, the Doctor has used the Braun one on him..

• Subscribers Posts: 78 ✭✭minttea

+1 on the Braun ThermoScan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Bought the in ear thermometer in Aldi when it was in, €14.99 and it does infra red too... always found it more accurate in the ear than on the forehead though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Just when you mention the forehead January, I always remember as a child my mother used the strip thermometer on our forehead's and I always thought that kissing forehead to see was another way too but when my little man was sick and I was on the phone to nowdoc,she told me not to pass any remarks on the head but the chest and back!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Hand down below the collarbone is a quick and easy check. The brauns are good but expensive. Welsh Allen make good ones too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

I have the Braun and I don't think its worth the money. I am always getting different readings from it. My sister has a mothercare branded one think its 4in1 and its much better much more accurate readings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

xzanti wrote: »
    Every time we've been to the Doctor with our Son, since he was born, the Doctor has used the Braun one on him..

as does mine, however was advised they can be useful to see if temperature is high but not accurate as to what exact temperature is

Advertisement