Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photographing a Christening. Help and advice needed!

• 18-10-2012 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi I'm fairly new to photography and recently bought my first DSLR - a Canon 450d with kit lens and also a Tamron 70-300mm lens.

I have been messing around with the differnt manual controls and reading a fair bit on the internet but I am still a novice and am never quite sure the best way to compose a shot before taking.

I'm going to be taking photos at my nephews christening this Sunday and would really like to be able to get some good quality shots.

Can anyone give me any tips for a good set up or for general camera settings for a church.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

How bright is the church ? I suggest you take a few practice shots on your own a day before the christening if you can just to check light etc. Have you an external flash, I think you may need one. Also check with the priest/minister what is allowed re photos during ceremony. Will there be many other babies being christened at same time ? Best of luck
    What area are you in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Mark 00

Unfortunately I won't get a chance to get to the church until the day. As far as I know it's reasonably bright (as churches go).

I don't have an external flash so the camera flash will have to do.

I was planning to speak to the priest before the ceremony coz I don't wanna overstep my mark. There are 4 christenings altogether. One ceremony for all 4 and then the babies are brought up to the font one by one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Hello Mark, use the highest ISO you can without causing too much noise e.g. 800. The built-in flash is far from ideal but better than nothing if the light's very poor. Use the widest aperture you have (5.6?) and keep the shutter speed above 1/100 and use Image Stabilization if you have it.

I wouldn't worry about upsetting the priest/minister too much. It's not Mass! :)

Good luck with it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

You'll need to use the kit lense for the whole ceremony and flash. The Tamron will be too long. If the priest lets you shoot during the blessings and anointments (three different ones), keep an eye out to see what hand he uses so you can try get the open side. A lot of the time they let you get shots at the fountain only, be sure to get some wide ones and go in close to get the water on the head. At the end of the ceremony, make a b-line for the front of the alter with as little fuss as possible and get the family camped out there for some formals. Start by getting a shot with the priest, mam & dad and god parents and take it from there. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

kelly1 wrote: »
    Hello Mark, use the highest ISO you can without causing too much noise e.g. 800. The built-in flash is far from ideal but better than nothing if the light's very poor. Use the widest aperture you have (5.6?) and keep the shutter speed above 1/100 and use Image Stabilization if you have it.

I wouldn't worry about upsetting the priest/minister too much. It's not Mass! :)

Good luck with it! :)

its his (or her) workplace !! ... have respect for the church if you intend to use it, its nice to be polite and ask permission 99 times out of a hundred a priest/minister will let you know from their past experience what they prefer the photographer to do and how they prefer the photographer to take the images.

it may not be mass - but it is still a religious ceremony and I doubt very much that the family will appreciate it if the photographer starts blasting multiple flashes annoying the officiate !!

like ALL photography jobs - respect the people who were there before you ...and those that will be there after you leave.... respect those that also have jobs to do and stay out of their way - a photographer bases their work on getting recommendations - so you have to please everyone.

Ps. taking photos in a church is usually OK - some priests/ministers are fussy and most prefer to allow you arrange images at the end of the ceremony.

• Advertisement
Advertisement