Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving power access to house

Options
  • 18-10-2012 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Scenario is old two storey house with power lines attached to gable.

House needs a new roof and lines are obstructing the construction of a bargeboard.

Need to know the cost of burying the powerlines from the last pole to the house, about thirty metres.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

ootbitb wrote: »
    Scenario is old two storey house with power lines attached to gable.

House needs a new roof and lines are obstructing the construction of a bargeboard.

Need to know the cost of burying the powerlines from the last pole to the house, about thirty metres.

You need to ring the esb and tell them your plans, a charge of €400 is paid to the esb to do their end of the work. Then at your own cost you need to install an outside meter box if you don't already have one. From that meter box there needs to be a 50mm red duct ran from inside the bottom left of the box to the foot of the pole. Your electrician will then need to run a new 16 square twin and earth from your fuse board and submit a completion cert for that to the esb. The esb will then install a new cable in your duct from the pole, new cutout and meter. Your electrician connecta the tails to uour board and your meter then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Thanks for the concise answer sparcocars. More than a grand so.

Would they consider repositioning the present set up ie twelve inches to the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

They should have no problem with moving it to the side but i'm not sure how much they would want to charge for that or even if they would charge anything at all. It all might depend on how much slack there is on the existing overhead wires and the clipped cables. These may need to be extended to facilitate that. Your best bet is to ring the main esb networks number or else your local esb networks office and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

The ESB supply to my house used to go onto the gable end wall but I got it put underground last year.

I dug the trench myself for the underground duct. I got the red duct pipe (comes in a roll) and two hockey sticks from the builders providers. I installed the duct and hockey sticks and left a pull rope in the duct for the ESB. I paid the above-mentioned fee to the ESB and they ran in a new cable from the nearest pole, through the duct and into the consumer board. It was a straightforward job but there is a bit of work digging the trench.

Advertisement