Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If we didn't know the figures

• 18-10-2012 3:01pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How would your perception and enjoyment of football differ if the cost of transfers and weekly wages were never disclosed to the public? Would you be able to honestly rate players with no clue as to what their market value was? Do you occasionally or even regularly use a player's transfer cost as a yardstick as to how well he's doing his job or are you able to appreciate that external factors such as age, availability and good scouting have as much to do with a player's cost as his own ability? How much of our enjoyment of the game rides on what is essentially just accounting? Is it possible to write an entire post with only questions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

How would your perception and enjoyment of football differ if the cost of transfers and weekly wages were never disclosed to the public?

It would be the same IMO, I'd still enjoy watching the game. Just last night I watched the Notts County vs Sheff Utd because I enjoy football.
    Would you be able to honestly rate players with no clue as to what their market value was?

Its easy enough to spot when a player is better then those around him and therefore would be perceived as been better or moer valuable, although you may have to go to a lot of games before you could judge someone properly.
    Do you occasionally or even regularly use a player's transfer cost as a yardstick as to how well he's doing his job or are you able to appreciate that external factors such as age, availability and good scouting have as much to do with a player's cost as his own ability?

Good scouting is key, plenty of stories have come out about managers and clubs missing players early becasue they didnt think a certain player had it only for that player to turn up at another club and be exceptional.

Scouting is very hard and takes detailed knowledge of the game and not just the basics of athleism and football ability before a guy can be judged.
    How much of our enjoyment of the game rides on what is essentially just accounting?

Not much, although I do realise that from a Chelsea point of view had we not won the UCL and the €52 million jackpot then we wouldnt have had the power to lure Hazard, so been in the black surely helps a team, it always will.
    Is it possible to write an entire post with only questions?

You just did, fairplay.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

GavRedKing wrote: »

Scouting is very hard and takes detailed knowledge of the game and not just the basics of athleism and football ability before a guy can be judged.

Any idea how much a top scout earns? When you think of the millions clubs potentially save/make off a good find these guys are worth a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Any idea how much a top scout earns? When you think of the millions clubs potentially save/make off a good find these guys are worth a fortune.

Only speaking for Chelsea but I think they employ up to 12 scouts and the top earner is on over £2k a week / £100k a year.

Chelsea also employ Piet De Visser in an advisor role and he works alongside Micheal Emanelo, hes our techinal director so alot of the transfer go through him and as such he has final say over whatever the scouts report.

If you have a good network you can steal a march on your rivals and give you a massive edge in signing the best talent, although poaching under age talent is still a big issue, see Gael Kakuta for such examples and Mikel too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

TBH I don't follow that. I don't know how much money ManU made last year. Likewise I couldn't tell you Messi's wealth or Ronaldo's salary. I don't follow the wag culture or what these guys get up to off the pitch. I think it's all irrelevant to the game.

That said tho, Moneyball is an excellent film that everyone should check out. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

You're still able to judge a player's quality. For example, I know that Xavi is a quality player. I have no idea what he earns or what his market value would be as he has never even considered leaving Barca.

I know that Yaya Toure probably earns more than him even though Xavi is a better player. I'm not sure that market value has too much of an impact on anything if a player is good.

It may have an impact on my view of players who aren't worth what was paid for them, like Andy Carroll.

• Advertisement
Advertisement