Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

150e fine !!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

mfceiling wrote: »
    You informed us that the OP had been asked where he was parked - no one asked him.

Then you asked him after that where was he parked.

It's fairly straight forward....no??

Have you read this thread?
    Yamanoto wrote: »
    Could it be a private operator controlling the surgery car park & the OP has been nabbed by cctv?

OP, giz a look-see on Street View and let your public decide :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

MadsL wrote: »
    Have you read this thread?

Yes i've read it. Have you?

Piliger was able to tell us that the OP was parked in a high risk, high inconvenience place even though the OP never said where he was parked - kerry, donegal, mayo??

You claim he was asked and never answered....nobody asked him. Yamanoto asked him for a street view - not much use if it's not on the google maps or if it's taken on a quiet sunday morning and the road is empty.

How do you know it was a high risk place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Piliger was able to tell us that the OP was parked in a high risk, high inconvenience place even though the OP never said where he was parked -

The OP did indeed say where they were parked. In the very first post in fact.
    I just got a 150euro fine in the door for parking on double yellow lines !!!!!!
    on double yellow lines !!!!!!

Yes i've read it. Have you?

Piliger was able to tell us that the OP was parked in a high risk, high inconvenience place even though the OP never said where he was parked - kerry, donegal, mayo??

You claim he was asked and never answered....nobody asked him. Yamanoto asked him for a street view - not much use if it's not on the google maps or if it's taken on a quiet sunday morning and the road is empty.

How do you know it was a high risk place?

Why are you picking a fight with me??

I said there was an easy way to see if he parked in a dodgy spot and he had already been asked to show us via street view. You got all high and mighty about it and I just pointed out where he had already been asked. Now you are challenging me about a question that another poster asked.

Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

The OP did indeed say where they were parked. In the very first post in fact.

Yeah double yellow lines....where....on a busy main road in dublin or a small village in leitrim? Context would tell us if the €150 fine was reasonable.
    Why are you picking a fight with me??

I said there was an easy way to see if he parked in a dodgy spot and he had already been asked to show us via street view. You got all high and mighty about it and I just pointed out where he had already been asked. Now you are challenging me about a question that another poster asked.

Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

No fight here. As i said above where was he parked? Piliger seemed to know it was high risk - is a double yellow line in a small village in leitrim dangerous? Hardly....

No fight here.

pleased to hear it
    As i said above where was he parked? Piliger seemed to know it was high risk - is a double yellow line in a small village in leitrim dangerous? Hardly....

So why is a double yellow then if it is not dangerous to park there?

Yeah double yellow lines....where....on a busy main road in dublin or a small village in leitrim? Context would tell us if the €150 fine was reasonable.

I don't see how. Double yellow lines mean "no parking at any time" not "no parking if it looks like a particularly bad place to park". There is no ambiguity.

pleased to hear it

So why is a double yellow then if it is not dangerous to park there?

Double yellow doesn't mean it's dangerous....there's a small estate in a cul de sac beside me that's got a double yellow line at it but only about 7-8 houses.

Schoolhouse lane in dublin 2 has double yellow lines on another tiny side street off it - dangerous? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

There are double yellow lines right outside the entrance to my estate.

There is also a crèche at the entrance.

Every single morning/evening the parents park on the double yellows whilst dropping their children off. The staff also park on these double yellow lines, all day.

This in turn makes it extremely annoying and difficult trying to actually get out of the estate.

Ignorant a*sholes. Another typical case where women in particular think the rules don't apply to them because "they have children".

• Advertisement

This is a question from the current Irish Driver's Theory Test.

This is the question with the correct answer marked.

Also, notice that 95% of people got this answer correct.

The OP accepted he was wrong....can the rest of you accept that €150 fine is a hell of a lot of money for what he did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The OP accepted he was wrong....can the rest of you accept that €150 fine is a hell of a lot of money for what he did?
    15 would have been a lot for what he did.1500 would have been a lot too. If he hadn't parked there the amount would have been immaterial.

I won't deny its a crappy thing to have happen, but it didn't happen by accident. It was the whingy tone of the OP that did it for me. And the admission of magic blinky light syndrome. IMHO, the blinky lights alone warrent a fine. And fifty lashes o' the cat.

Double yellow doesn't mean it's dangerous....there's a small estate in a cul de sac beside me that's got a double yellow line at it but only about 7-8 houses.

Schoolhouse lane in dublin 2 has double yellow lines on another tiny side street off it - dangerous? No.

I guess you know better than the local council when they conduct road safety audits. Out of interest, are you qualified to conduct road safety audits?

I guess you know better than the local council when they conduct road safety audits. Out of interest, are you qualified to conduct road safety audits?

Very smart....it was covered in small detail in a safety and welfare course I did in 2004 but it doesn't make me qualified.

Double yellow lines are no parking...not because it's dangerous to park there. Why are they in the small estate beside me? To stop the people parking there all day while they go about their business not because it's dangerous to park there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

Chun Li wrote: »
    No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way Garth !

• Advertisement

Very smart....it was covered in small detail in a safety and welfare course I did in 2004 but it doesn't make me qualified.

Double yellow lines are no parking...not because it's dangerous to park there. Why are they in the small estate beside me? To stop the people parking there all day while they go about their business not because it's dangerous to park there.

In your assessment. Which is as you admit, unqualified.

Which is why motorists don't get to choose, double yellows are binary - either it is safe and legal to park and there are no double yellows or it it is not safe and legal to park and there are.

You don't get to pick various shades of yellow paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Is there different fines depending on where the yellow lines are? I thought it was a standard fine.

In your assessment. Which is as you admit, unqualified.

Which is why motorists don't get to choose, double yellows are binary - either it is safe and legal to park and there are no double yellows or it it is not safe and legal to park and there are.

You don't get to pick various shades of yellow paint.

You can still park safely on a double yellow - it doesn't make it legal. Lane below in dublin city centre - park there and you will be clamped - it's not dangerous to park there but it is illegal.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.34038,-6.256757&spn=0.001816,0.005284&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.340331,-6.256456&panoid=oWnbJn1BFLv_-l7qu3-NcQ&cbp=12,197.31,,0,0

You can still park safely on a double yellow - it doesn't make it legal.

I'm not going to debate the purpose of double yellow lines ad neaseum - it is quite obvious they are there to control traffic and ensure parking is done in safe and proper manner.

Would you like me to explain the purpose of traffic lights next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

My take on double yellow lines is reserved free parking for me. :)

There are far too many double yellow lines as there are far too many traffic lights.

New year's resolution is to start getting them removed, except from where they were originally intended. They've been given out like confetti and you'll only get four hours in jail for not paying the fine and cost the tax payer several thousand on court fees and transporting you to and from prison.

Life's hard enough already.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to debate the purpose of double yellow lines ad neaseum - it is quite obvious they are there to control traffic and ensure parking is done in safe and proper manner.

Would you like me to explain the purpose of traffic lights next?

Well done you've finally got it.

As your earlier post exclaimed "So why is a double yellow then if it is not dangerous to park there?"

Double yellow doesn't mean exclusively "dangerous to park there".....can also be used to control parking.

Posters here exclaiming outrage at the OP parking in a "high risk" area - how did they know? They didn't, but off course they start spouting out of their arse at the OP without knowing the details - true keyboard warriors who've never done anything wrong in their life.

No need to be a smart arse about traffic lights - i got my driving licence 20 years ago in northern ireland where you had to know the rules of the road and couldn't get behind the wheel of a car without a qualified driver beside you. Unfortunately this rule has only came in here recently meaning for years any fool here could jump into a car on a provisional licence and drive from cork to donegal (via leitrim which only got it's first set of traffic lights a few years ago by the way)

Lane below in dublin city centre - park there and you will be clamped - it's not dangerous to park there but it is illegal.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.34038,-6.256757&spn=0.001816,0.005284&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.340331,-6.256456&panoid=oWnbJn1BFLv_-l7qu3-NcQ&cbp=12,197.31,,0,0

And how pray do the Fire Brigade get access in case of a fire if you are parked in the way?

Not dangerous indeed!

And how pray do the Fire Brigade get access in case of a fire if you are parked in the way?!

A car they just move it, they do it all the time. Plus, in this case the driver is accessible.

And how pray do the Fire Brigade get access in case of a fire if you are parked in the way?

Not dangerous indeed!

The clampers will get it first - believe me - the guy that drives around on a motorbike and relays the info back to the clampers will get you long before the fire brigade.

gbee wrote: »
    A car they just move it,

Well great. let everybody park where they like. Sure whats's slowing down the Fire Brigade. Where's the fire lads?

The clampers will get it first - believe me - the guy that drives around on a motorbike and relays the info back to the clampers will get you long before the fire brigade.

You lot are bonkers.

Truly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

This is a question from the current Irish Driver's Theory Test.

This is the question with the correct answer marked.

Also, notice that 95% of people got this answer correct.

Those yellow lines are not legal and they mean nothing. AT least 95% of people do not appear to know that.

I know I am going to regret this, but seriously what the . are you on about?

There are legal requirements for yellow lines. The yellow lines depicted in that diagram do not meet those requirements. If I got a fine notice for parking on such yellow lines I would successfully contest it.

There are legal requirements for yellow lines. The yellow lines depicted in that diagram do not meet those requirements. If I got a fine notice for parking on such yellow lines I would successfully contest it.

Oh ffs. Worse than the freemen nonsense. Good luck trying to park on a computer screen. It's a representation for the purposes of a knowledge test not a full scale 1:1 plan.

Is there something in the water these days?

• Advertisement

No, or maybe there is an excess of yellow paint and it HAS to be used up or the councils don't get anymore.

gbee wrote: »
    No, or maybe there is an excess of yellow paint and it HAS to be used up or the councils don't get anymore.

Yeah, that's it. Conspiracy of yellow paint manufacturers buying favours from the council.

I repeat, you people are bonkers.

Oh ffs. Worse than the freemen nonsense. Good luck trying to park on a computer screen. It's a representation for the purposes of a knowledge test not a full scale 1:1 plan.

I said such yellow lines, not those yellow lines, so I am not parking on a computer screen. Even as represented there is a problem and the scale has nothing to do with it.
    This is no freeman nonsense but based on the laws of Ireland. Nothing to do with not contracting with the state, flesh and blood etc.
    You should analyse the water you are drinking. When was the last time you read the Road Traffic Acts and read the regulations made under them governing the parking in public places?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    OP, you have my sympathies, that's annoying.

I too received a fine of €150 for my dog fouling someone's garden while I had him out for a walk.
    I was going to fight it but the complainant had a dossier with time dated video of the dog doing the deed & me whistling at him to follow on.
    I agreed with the council to pay €20 a month, I paid the first month then "forgot" about further payments.
    Hasn't been a word about 8 months later.

You sir, are a dirtbag.

When was the last time you read the Road Traffic Acts and read the regulations made under them governing the parking in public places?

Just before your post before this.

vis

Double Yellow Lines
    15. Traffic sign number RRM 008 shall—

(a) indicate that parking of vehicles is prohibited at any time on that side of the roadway, and
    (b) consist of two parallel continuous yellow lines approximately 100 millimetres apart extending along the edge of a roadway, each line being approximately 100 millimetres wide, and the line nearest the edge of the roadway being situated approximately 300 millimetres from that edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

You're all lying if ya've never been left in a car while a parent, sibling or friend runs in somewhere for a minute. Love to see the look on their faces if they came back to a ticket like that and ya told them they deserve it.
    no we arent,some of us have a blue badge and have our days ruined by illegal parkers.
    they park in disabled parking which means many of us arent able to access places from anywhere else,guess what they always say to staff of mine to whilst we are cued up and theyre on their way out-they were only in for a minute.

Just before your post before this.

vis

Double Yellow Lines
    15. Traffic sign number RRM 008 shall—

(a) indicate that parking of vehicles is prohibited at any time on that side of the roadway, and
    (b) consist of two parallel continuous yellow lines approximately 100 millimetres apart extending along the edge of a roadway, each line being approximately 100 millimetres wide, and the line nearest the edge of the roadway being situated approximately 300 millimetres from that edge.

Good. Now do you know how road is defined?

Good. Now do you know how road is defined?

Oh for God's sake, enough with the patronising Socratic questioning. If you have a point to make - make it. Otherwise go declare your taxes to be a unicorn or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I got clamped outside the maternity hospital the day i was bringing my son home

did you not put your flashers on? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

kona wrote: »
    You sir, are a dirtbag.

no he isn't but he plainly needs to carry one with him.

*Ba dum tish*

Sorry, thought that needed a drummer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

How so?

hardCopy wrote: »
    How so?

Probably by asking lots of questions like.

What is a road?
    What is line?
    What is a kerb?
    What is a car?
    What is parked?
    What is a fine?
    What is the point?

Until the judge gets exasperated and throws it out.

What is a road?
    What is line?
    What is a kerb?
    What is a car?
    What is parked?
    What is a fine?
    What is the point?

It has nothing to do with exasperating the judge. Your first three questions would be enough. The next bit is where the case is won. I am not going to ruin the defence by posting it publicly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

In the District Court I once saw an elderly disabled man who had been living in the US for 40 years and had come home to look after his even older disabled mother.He was a disabled driver in the states and had brought his american wheelchair sticker with him and put it up as a stopgap measure.From practically the day he arrived in Ireland he had applied for the Irish wheelchair sticker (he had copies of the letter and application forms etc) but after 18 months when he got a ticket he had still not received it due to a series of cluster****s by the irish authorities which they had accepted and which was all documented.The judge asked "did you have a valid Irish sticker on the date in question""No" "Pay the fine".Harshest thing that I,ve ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

jonsnow wrote: »
    In the District Court I once saw an elderly disabled man who had been living in the US for 40 years and had come home to look after his even older disabled mother.He was a disabled driver in the states and had brought his american wheelchair sticker with him and put it up as a stopgap measure.From practically the day he arrived in Ireland he had applied for the Irish wheelchair sticker (he had copies of the letter and application forms etc) but after 18 months when he got a ticket he had still not received it due to a series of cluster****s by the irish authorities which they had accepted and which was all documented.The judge asked "did you have a valid Irish sticker on the date in question""No" "Pay the fine".Harshest thing that I,ve ever seen.

Funniest thread Ive read in ages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

What is a road?
    What is line?
    What is a kerb?
    What is a car?
    What is parked?
    What is a fine?
    What is the point?

The judge is entitled to question the meaning of legislation and interpret it. This is one of their functions - interpretation of legislation.You don't have that privelage. If you started asking stupid questions like that in Court you'd only annoy the judge and risk a greater penalty.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    The judge is entitled to question the meaning of legislation and interpret it. This is one of their functions - interpretation of legislation.You don't have that privelage. If you started asking stupid questions like that in Court you'd only annoy the judge and risk a greater penalty.

Will the defendant please rise.
    Ah, but what is a "defendant"? pray tell
    You are, stand up. How do you plead?
    When you say plead, how would you define "plead"
    Are you going to say you guiilty or not guilty?
    But what is "guilty"? What is "not guilty"? What is "an orange"? Does it rhyme with anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Will the defendant please rise.
    Ah, but what is a "defendant"? pray tell
    You are, stand up. How do you plead?
    When you say plead, how would you define "plead"
    Are you going to say you guiilty or not guilty?
    But what is "guilty"? What is "not guilty"? What is "an orange"? Does it rhyme with anything?

Oh I see. So if I'm ever in Court on criminal charges ill take advice off someone on boards.ie who thinks that 'The Accused' in a criminal case is referred to as a 'Defendant' and recommends contempt of Court. Oh no wait, I dont need to, I've got a whole load of 'get out of jail for free cards' in my monopoly set. Ill being them along instead!

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Oh I see. So if I'm ever in Court on criminal charges ill take advice off someone on boards.ie who thinks that 'The Accused' in a criminal case is referred to as a 'Defendant' and recommends contempt of Court. Oh no wait, I dont need to, I've got a whole load of 'get out of jail for free cards' in my monopoly set. Ill being them along instead!

Hmm, yes, I see. A "monoploy set" you say. How would you define a "monopoly set"?

• Advertisement
Advertisement