Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diabetes - car insurnce?

• 18-10-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭

My aunt has Type 2 Diabetes for more than 6 years and manages it successfully with her diet - no pills or injections whatsoever. Up to now, she's had no problem with car insurance and hasn't paid any extra premium (as far as she knows) nor had any difficulty getting insured.
    Her policy is due for renewal at the end of the month and her insurance company now require a rather long-winded form to be filled in with many questions that she finds intrusive - it has to be signed by a doctor, which will also incur a fee. The company told her that this is now standard for all diabetics and that every car insurance company will insist on it. Is this really the case?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

I insured in June with Liberty and didn't have to fill in such forms. I'm type 1 and it is noted on my license, I wasn't loaded with extra charge for my condition. Saying that though Tesco car insurance wouldn't touch me.

My advice, shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭teacosy

Teagwee wrote: »
    My aunt has Type 2 Diabetes for more than 6 years and manages it successfully with her diet - no pills or injections whatsoever. Up to now, she's had no problem with car insurance and hasn't paid any extra premium (as far as she knows) nor had any difficulty getting insured.
    Her policy is due for renewal at the end of the month and her insurance company now require a rather long-winded form to be filled in with many questions that she finds intrusive - it has to be signed by a doctor, which will also incur a fee. The company told her that this is now standard for all diabetics and that every car insurance company will insist on it. Is this really the case?

The Diabetes Federation have a comprehensive piece on their website about insurance.
    http://www.diabetes.ie/living-with-diabetes/diabetes-and-insurance/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

Thanks for the info. It was just the necessity of the long form signed by a doctor that bothered her. Nothing has changed in her condition and she doesn't take any medication and has never had any kind of medical effects that would impinge on her driving. Despite what her insurance company (RSA) told her, it doesn't seem to be universal at all, from what I'm hearing. She didn't want the hassle of changing but she's going to look around now. I can't understand why they started asking for this new form out of the blue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 orla.mccormack

Type one here and I never experienced loading on my insurance yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Before next renewal ring insurance and ask them to update your file that you have diabetes.

Yes according to law if you have diabetes you have to provide form that you are fit to drive however its left up to the insurer.

I know for the fact that if you are professional truck driver with diabetes you would have no chance to get job with any well known companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

You are obliged to get a doctors report saying you are fit to drive. It goes to the RSA. 101 is marked on your licence. It means medically cleared or similar.

I'm insured with 4 companies, type 2. Once the licence says you are OK, they accepted it. Boxymo-aig, aviva, Allianz and Carole nash/fbd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I thought that was just if you were insulin dependent that it needed to be noted on the license and with insurance?

I was on insulin (for T2) briefly and had to inform insurance but recently switched to non insulin meds and consultant said there was no requirements to have anything listed or noted as it wasnt insulin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pretty much, insulin and the associated hypoglycaemic risk are the issue, once you are not taking meds that can cause hypoglycaemia, then you are grand.

Advertisement