Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creme de Cassis Substitute

Options
  • 18-10-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a recipe for berry compote but says to use créme de cassis, which seems to be expensive?

Anyone know of a substitute for this? I heard Ribena can be used?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

K09 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a recipe for berry compote but says to use créme de cassis, which seems to be expensive?

Anyone know of a substitute for this? I heard Ribena can be used?

Thanks!

Where are you looking for the cassis? It shouldn't be too expensive at all and is nice to use too in a kir or kir royale, delish in fact! If you don't intend to use the rest of the bottle in drinkies though I would see how it could be a bit wasteful!I think Ribena would be good although I think Robinson's blackcurrant cordial might be nicer as it's a little bit sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Went looking for it in Dunner but no sign. Any idea where I can get it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

You should be able to find it in a decent off license. If you are in Dublin then Celtic Whiskey has it and also drinks store. I think from memory its only about €10 a bottle

http://www.drinkstore.ie/WENNEKER-CREME-DE-CASSIS-500ML-WENNEKER-CREME-DE-CASSIS/

There you go 13.99

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Or try Superquinn or any of the O'Brien's wine shops and they should have it too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Check out Lidl -- they had creme de cassis for under a tenner a couple of weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you don't want to go with creme de cassis, I'd at least suggest a proper blackcurrant syrup rather than Ribena. Better off-licenses would have some, I'm pretty sure the Celtic Whiskey Shop on Dawson St has some (I think they're about €4/5 a bottle, but they have them on special for €1 sometimes).

Advertisement