Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best desktop PC for around €350?

Options
  • 18-10-2012 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi there. We are buying the children (14 &10) a desktop PC and new monitor for Christmas but I am going into meltdown trying to find something decent for our low budget! Ideally we would like to get both for no more than €450, are we dreaming? I've read a lot about new builds but wouldn't know the first thing about building one from scratch, how to go about getting this done, how much it would cost to get someone to do it for me or what we would need. Also, what happens if something goes wrong with a new build? Who is responsible, or do you just take it to the nearest repair shop at your own cost? I've seen a few lists you can answer to get a better idea but I really wouldn't know enough about computer insides to answer them properly. They would use it for basic game playing, watching movies, surfing, doing school projects etc. I'd like something that we could get at least a few years out of ;) Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Is €450 your budget for both, or each?

Would a laptop suit instead?

Roughly, where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Hey there,

You can get a decent enough PC built from the likes of hardwareversand for that amount of cash.

You wont get blistering fast speeds or have the luxary of a graphics card but you will have something that will browse the web and play games at a relatively good pace.

Check out the Pc building forum here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842&order=desc

If you make a post or have this post moved there and state you need some help putting it together I am sure someone will help you out. Just post your location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Komplett is selling a desktop PC with an AMD A4 processor for 299 yoyos, no monitor.

Here's a Samsung 22" Full HD Monitor for €115

That's about as good as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tivvo

Hiya, €450 for pc and monitor together, and I'm in Blessington. And is that Komplett pc considered a relatively good one? Thanks

tivvo wrote: »
    Hiya, €450 for pc and monitor together, and I'm in Blessington. And is that Komplett pc considered a relatively good one? Thanks

As they say in Texas, "You buy cheap, you'll get cheap"! ;)

The AMD A4 is not exactly a powerhouse, good enough for the basics but not suitable for modern graphic intensive games. For €414 incl. a 22" full HD monitor it's not a bad deal.

And you better hurry, there's only 4 in stock. If the counter goes below 5, it means they're selling pretty fast. Delivery is free with Komplett.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Torqay wrote: »
    And you better hurry, there's only 4 in stock. If the counter goes below 5, it means they're selling pretty fast. Delivery is free with Komplett.
    Uhh, the pressure sell.:P

Would OP not be better off with a TV with HDMI? Though haven't a clue what they sell for...€150.....€189....ugh, budget bashers.

Unless Amazon has cheaper, think once it has DVB-T2 Tuner, Mpeg4, it'll be grand here.

I'd go with Hwvs OP. You'll get a better machine, better parts. If near one of the lads they'd build it for ya and save you the €19 hwvs will charge ya.

Don't know what way a return of a pre-built to them would work...don't think anyone had trouble with one, if returning a part, once it's over a certain value (€40?) they pay to get it back.

I'd imagine it'd be all on them, you send it back, they fix and send back to you.

Or maybe I'm talking out me hole....

Uhh, the pressure sell.:P

Would OP not be better off with a TV with HDMI? Though haven't a clue what they sell for...€150.....€189....ugh, budget bashers.

Sorry, Fretard... No pressure selling monitors here. My advice was re the desktop computer for €299.

And I can't see how the tellies you have linked compete against a computer monitor for 115 yoyos either. I'm sure, if OP was looking for a TV, (s)he would have said so.

Sorry, Fretard... No pressure selling monitors here.
    Only messing T:(
    And I can't see how the tellies you have linked compete against a computer monitor for 115 yoyos either. I'm sure, if OP was looking for a TV, (s)he would have said so.
    Just that it would have more uses, I use a TV. Run Aerial/Sky/PS whatever all into the one?

I use a TV.

Just happened to turn on the old box tonight and spotted Pat Kenny... not sure if I need Saorview at all at all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Item|Price
    Samsung SH-118AB schwarz|€12.87
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.19
    BenQ G2255|€99.00
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€42.07
    Intel Celeron Dual-Core G550 Box, LGA1155|€37.99
    ASRock H61M-S (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€40.94
    4GB-Kit G-Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€16.29
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€82.41
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€382.75So , this is what you'd be looking at if you were to build your own.
    Add another 20 euro if you want them to build it for you. You get the non German keyboard and mouse here in Ireland. Add another hundred for MS office or you just get Openoffice for free.
    Windows 8 is coming out in a couple of weeks but, I wouldn't recommend it.

Advantages:
    - You get the hardware you want for the proper price, meaning higher performance/dollar.
    - Reliability. You generally get better stuff when buying it separate. Some pre-builts have custom, stripped down, motherboards with less or no room for expansion.
    - More personal. It's your computer.
    - Experience; learning something new.
    - If a component would malfunction you just have to return that specific part and not the entire computer.
    - No bloatware. Ever.
    - Communities are more helpful than your average salesperson who will try to pitch a three generations old PC.

Disadvantages:
    -You're the one responsible if anything goes wrong. Although, building a PC is not as hard as it seems and if you take the time to learn, it can be very rewarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tivvo

Thanks heaps guys, this is brilliant!! I had just decided that I was going to get someone to build one for us and was about to post something to ask what I should be looking for, so thank you Uncle Sam ie ! @ Torqay I actually didn't know you could connect a pc to a TV and still use it for all usual functions! Ha, sorry, I really AM a novice:o So, considering my budget would be €400 for a self build (at a stretch), are the above components a good general build to go off ie. Would I just tell the guy that this is what I would like?? Is it ok to ask this here or should I be in the building forum? Anyway, thanks again everyone :D

I don't see a hard drive, mouse and keyboard included in Uncle Sam's list, so you'll be looking at 450 yoyos or more, plus the costs for assembly.

The integrated graphics in the AMD A4 should beat the Intel's HD 2000 in the Celeron. The AP Neo at Komplett comes with a 500W power supply, so it's no problem to add a mid range gaming graphics card if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

I personally think for this kind of money you're generally better off getting a pre-built pc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Torquay's suggestion is better all round solution than the build suggested, its probably your best option. One thing to note though that you still need to buy Windows. Windows and the monitor could bring it to €500.

I haven't in a while but I'll try to work out a build later if I get a chance.

Just that it would have more uses, I use a TV. Run Aerial/Sky/PS whatever all into the one?

Of course you're right there, two birds with one stone, save space, etc.

But also more expensive.

GarIT wrote: »
    Torquay's suggestion is better all round solution than the build suggested, its probably your best option. One thing to note though that you still need to buy Windows. Windows and the monitor could bring it to €500.

To be fair, Uncle Sam did include Windows and the monitor (BenQ), he just missed the hard disk (and input devices). But the desktop at Komplett for 299 yoyos is pretty hard to beat with a small budget, even for a system builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Tivvo can you let us know if you have a TV you would be willing to use and what ports it has, it might make things easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I wouldn't let a kid use a tv as a pc screen, burn the eyes out of their head

Yeah, forgot the HDD. It was late when I wrote it. Keyboard only comes in the german layout on that site. But you can get them cheap here. Tesco's has them. If you can get someone to help you build it then great. You'll get a quality system. My build was just an example. Go over the PC building forum and fill this out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74542374&postcount=1 and see what the others can come up with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

If you configure the G530 based Scan V1 with a keyboard and 19" monitor it comes to about 430 euro delivered to Ireland. I doubt you are going to do much better than that for a full PC, windows and monitor.

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=1414

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    If you configure the G530 based Scan V1 with a keyboard and 19" monitor it comes to about 430 euro delivered to Ireland. I doubt you are going to do much better than that for a full PC, windows and monitor.

Not bad indeed... good find.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Not bad indeed... good find.

Only quibble would be that the monitor has a poor enough resolution for a 19" monitor though, only 1366 X 768. I'd nearly be inclined to leave it out and buy a second hand one with a better resolution in all honesty.

Order without the monitor then and grab the 22" 1080p Samsung monitor from Komplett for 115 yoyos instead.

Yeah, It comes with a CiT PSU and there ShCiT.

Yeah, It comes with a CiT PSU and there ShCiT.

Well realistically I doubt were are going to fit a 80 plus gold certified PSU into a budget of around €450 for the lot, so even if there is just a hamster on a wheel inside it should manage to power a 65W CPU with no dedicated graphics card.

Tallon wrote: »
    I wouldn't let a kid use a tv as a pc screen, burn the eyes out of their head
    Just fire on Flux and use a different picture mode (you know like Cinema, Normal, Dynamic) for when using the PC, turn the contrast down on it and then flick between the two.

Any way new of a TV will have a dedicated button on the remote for alternating.

Well realistically I doubt were are going to fit a 80 plus gold certified PSU into a budget of around €450 for the lot, so even if there is just a hamster on a wheel inside it should manage to power a 65W CPU with no dedicated graphics card.

A cheap PSU at best can damage your components over time. At worst it could catch on fire. It's like putting cheap dirty fuel into your car.

A cheap PSU at best can damage your components over time. At worst it could catch on fire. It's like putting cheap dirty fuel into your car.

There are literally millions of basic OEM PCs around the world with PSUs that are no better than the one in the scan build, and they certainly don't seem to be self combusing in enormous numbers.

Besides fairly strict EU regulations are very good at stripping out the worst of the junk PSUs (that have no PFC circuits etc). What you are left with in the cheap PSU category are mediocre units admittedly, but are perfectly safe for use in a very low powered home or office machine.

There are literally millions of basic OEM PCs around the world with PSUs that are no better than the one in the scan build, and they certainly don't seem to be self combusing in enormous numbers.

Besides fairly strict EU regulations are very good at stripping out the worst of the junk PSUs (that have no PFC circuits etc). What you are left with in the cheap PSU category are mediocre units admittedly, but are perfectly safe for use in a very low powered home or office machine.

What do care, it's not your money. Why risk €400 on a pre build system that has to cut corners to make a profit. I can make an even cheaper self built PC using low cost special items( components that have been returned because of minor defects) and a cheap ass PSU. But I won't because I have a conscience.

• Advertisement

What do care, it's not your money. Why risk €400 on a pre build system that has to cut corners to make a profit. I can make an even cheaper self built PC using low cost special items( components that have been returned because of minor defects) and a cheap ass PSU. But I won't because I have a conscience.

I don't feel there is anything particularly morally reprehensible about suggesting a prebuilt PC when the budget is in the order of 350 euros for the box and windows. All I have done is given the OP one of the better available brebuilt options should he choose to go down that route.

And I certainly don't know why you felt the need to insult my charachter because at no point did I suggest that the OP shouldn't build a PC, or that he wouldn't get a better machine if he chose to go the DIY route. I can only assume that you have taken the comment "I doubt you are going to do much better than that for a full PC, windows and monitor" as some sort of slight on your build, even though it was written entirely from a cost perspective.

By my reckoning the cheapest G530 based build of HWVS with a top quality PSU and case, that exactly matches the scan box in every other respect works out at aproximately 30 euro more expensive taking delivery into account for both (380 vs 350). Which immediately takes away one of major advantages of a self build, and is a not insubstantial chunk of a 450 euro budget. However if future upgradability is a bigger priority then there is no question about the DIY option being the way to go.

At this point it would probably be customary to sign off with a counter insult, but thats really not my style so I shall just end my particpation on the thread at this.

Advertisement