Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best desktop PC for around €350?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

What do care, it's not your money. Why risk €400 on a pre build system that has to cut corners to make a profit. I can make an even cheaper self built PC using low cost special items( components that have been returned because of minor defects) and a cheap ass PSU. But I won't because I have a conscience.

Oh please, cut the conscience and profit cr@p. This German crowd, Hardwareversand, is not in the charity business either. Whether you buy 300 yoyos worth of parts or a ready made computer, there is hardly any difference in quality. Power Supply will set your house on fire... give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

marco_polo wrote: »
    I don't feel there is anything particularly morally reprehensible about suggesting a prebuilt PC when the budget is in the order of 350 euros for the box and windows. All I have done is given the OP one of the better available brebuilt options should he choose to go down that route.

And I certainly don't know why you felt the need to insult my charachter because at no point did I suggest that the OP shouldn't build a PC, or that he wouldn't get a better machine if he chose to go the DIY route. I can only assume that you have taken the comment "I doubt you are going to do much better than that for a full PC, windows and monitor" as some sort of slight on your build, even though it was written entirely from a cost perspective.

By my reckoning the cheapest G530 based build of HWVS with a top quality PSU and case, that exactly matches the scan box in every other respect works out at aproximately 30 euro more expensive taking delivery into account for both (380 vs 350). Which immediately takes away one of major advantages of a self build, and is a not insubstantial chunk of a 450 euro budget. However if future upgradability is a bigger priority then there is no question about the DIY option being the way to go.

At this point it would probably be customary to sign off with a counter insult, but thats really not my style so I shall just end my particpation on the thread at this.
    OK, maybe I went too far with "what do care" My sincere apology macro_polo. It was never my intent to insult you. I too end my participation in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tivvo

GariT - I wouldn't have a TV to use so would be buying either a monitor or tv! Thanks everyone for your help, even if some of it went over my head ;) I'm going to fill in the form for self build and see what happens there. Otherwise I'll go for the Scan V1 system... Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

This may be worth the upgrade if you can afford it http://www.online-shop.ie/PCs/Acer_Veriton_X_2610G_80440.html

It has a bigger hard drive, more processing power and windows 7 is included so you wont need to by it. It also comes for one of the main brands (Acer).

You can also cut out the delivery costs if you can collect from Dublin.

Theres also a monitor there for less than €90. http://www.online-shop.ie/flat_panel_displays/Acer__V173DObmd.html

GarIT wrote: »
    This may be worth the upgrade if you can afford it http://www.online-shop.ie/PCs/Acer_Veriton_X_2610G_80440.html

It has a bigger hard drive, more processing power and windows 7 is included so you wont need to by it.

Packard Bell, same processor and RAM but 1 TB HDD, Win 7 HP instead of Pro. 330 yoyos at LD.ie

Either way, RAM needs upgrading. I had one of those Acer here recently and found the fan painfully noisy. However, the dual core Pentium certainly beats the dual core Celeron and AMD A4. Not so sure about the mainboard and PSU in these slim tower computers re adding a graphics card.

• Advertisement

Torqay wrote: »
    Either way, RAM needs upgrading.

I rather upgrade the cheepest part than buy and install windows :p

Only €9 http://www.online-shop.ie/Memory_Modules/Kingston_ValueRAM_2GB_DDR3_1066MHz.html

Umm, the PB does come with Windows, though not the business version but the home premium edition. And it's still 70 yoyos cheaper. ;)

And of course, RAM is cheap and easily installed.

But as I said, the Acer and the PB probably won't allow upgrading the graphics, unlike system builders OEMs tend to use minimum req PSUs.

Torqay wrote: »
    Umm, the PB does come with Windows, though not the business version but the home premium edition. And it's still 70 yoyos cheaper. ;)

And of course, RAM is cheap and easily installed.

But as I said, the Acer and the PB probably won't allow upgrading the graphics, unlike system builders OEMs tend to use minimum req PSUs.

I meant I'd go with the PB over the one from scan, I know the PB has Windows 7, theres no real difference either, I have both Home and Pro and they are generally the same.

Will the OP want to upgrade the GPU later?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tivvo

Yeah, we would like the option to upgrade later. I've posted this on the building forum and received specs for a decent bundle. I don't know how to post the specs on here but it seemed pretty good for €485 so will probably go for that one. Thanks everyone :)

Advertisement