Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banshee (Cinemax) [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 18-10-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭

christ cinemax are really trying hard to make a dent the market, since they've gotten Strike Back 2 years ago, they've also made The Transporter series, Hunted (in part with the BBC), and now this,

looks like it could be a good show, going by the name of the show and the fact Alan Ball (who created True Blood) is involved i thought it would be a supernatural show, but it looks more and action/drama show, going by the storyline that ive heard so far, its about a guy Antony Starr (“Rush”) as Lucas Hood who assumes a dead sheriffs identity, and takes over the running of the sheriffs town which is called Banshee,

heres some info on more of the characters

. wrote: »
    The new series also stars Ivana Milicevic (“Charlie’s Angels,” HBO’s “Mind of the Married Man”) as Carrie Hopewell, a notorious jewel thief who now lives in Banshee under an assumed identity with her new family, who know nothing of her past; Ulrich Thomsen (“The Celebration”) as Proctor, an intimidating, wealthy local businessman who believes he is above the law; Frankie Faison (“The Good Wife,” HBO’s “The Wire”) as Sugar Bates, a wise, powerful former boxer and ex-con who now owns the local watering hole; Rus Blackwell (“Burn Notice,” HBO’s “Recount”) as Gulf War hero Gordon Hopewell, Banshee’s district attorney, who is married to Carrie; Ryann Shane (“Blue Bloods”) as Deva Hopewell, Carrie and Gordon’s rebellious daughter; and Ben Cross (“Star Trek,” “Ben Hur”) as Mr. Rabbit, a ruthless Ukrainian gangster who has been hunting Lucas and Carrie, his former top thieves, for 15 years

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

thread already here, could a mod merge if they dont mind,

don ramo wrote: »
    thread already here, could a mod merge if they dont mind,

There was also an older thread, but it got merged into the Future Shows thread + i posted other vids there. Since this is the official and longest trailer + broadcast date upcoming i decided to crack open a new thread......but whatever the mods wanna do i'm :cool: with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Kicking off this friday, been looking forward to this, im remaining a bit cautious as cinemax have been failry hit and miss with their shows, but i hope this will be good,

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just watched the first half. Not too bad. The acting is so-so, but some of the violence is jaw dropping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Watched this last night. Turned it off halfway through. Atrocious dialogue and a bit pile of 'who gives a f*ck' prevailed for the most part.

Plot holes were obvious even from the pre-title scene. If Mr. Rabbit has been tracking them for 15 years then why
    Is he (or one of his men) waiting right outside the hairdressers for the ex-con? Surely if he knew he'd go there, Mr. Rabbit could just go in and get the address of the woman?

I turned it off when the bar owner turned to the dude and said, "You're one of those complicated types I guess." or something similar to that effect.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I really enjoyed 1x1. Good setup, nice amounts of sex and violence and great, sleazy, gothic atmosphere.

The lead guy is a bit dull but the rest of the cast were fine. It's well photographed and that chase sequence was fantastic.

I'll definitly be back for more.

Not seen it but episode 2 is already floating about.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Can't understand what the casting director saw in the lead. Problem numero uno.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

After watching 3 episodes, I think it must be one of the most violent and vicious efforts to appear for a long time. It reminds me a bit of that old Lee Marvin film, Prime Cut, from years ago, where the local businessman/gangster didn't hold back on proving who was the boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,391 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

watch the first 2 episodes there

I quite like it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Watched episode 3 last and all I am say is holy crap. Loving this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Headshot wrote: »
    watch the first 2 episodes there

I quite like it

Did you watch episode 2 till after the credits? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Meh, maybe its because I just caught up on the 4 series of Justifed but this series lacks a lot, acting and script writing for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

A second season is already ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

Floppybits wrote: »
    Did you watch episode 2 till after the credits? :)

I watched the first 2 eps last night. Is there post credit scenes on this show? I usually stop at the start of the credits.

I'm very impressed with this. It's decently kick ass and fairly gorey and violent. It just seems to go one step beyond where other shows leave off in the gore and sex department. I don't find the actors irritating at all as some here have and largely I think it's a very decent show based on what I've seen so far. I'm looking forward to catching up with episode 3 tonight.

Just after watching the first episode and I gotta say I loved it. It's one of those shows that knows exactly what it is and exists simply to entertain. There are no delusions of grandeur here, it's a simple pulpy noir tale that revels in the gratuitous violence and sex on offer. The main character reminded me a lot of Parker from the Richard Strark novels and its clear from watching the first episode that it was heavily influenced by films such as Point Blank and Prime Cut.

Given that the wind was howling outside and I was in no hurry to head into town I stuck on episodes 2 and 3 of the show and you know what, I think I'm falling in love with it. Yes it's pretty basic stuff and can be described as Justified with a twist and yes the story of the week syndrome set in early but none of it matters given just how much fun the show is. It's clearly a loving homage to the trashy crime stories of yesteryear and like them it's only goal is to entertain, which is does magnificently well. It's one of the most violent and sex filled shows to ever grace our screens and it really does love to linger on both and while it's not big, nor is it clever it is a hell of a lot of fun and is one show I'm going to stick with as sometimes all you want to kill an hour is good looking people screwing one another in every way possible.

One thing that I do find odd is just how much the lead looks like and sounds like Bradley Cooper. It's uncanny at times and you would almost swear that it was Cooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,391 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Job is my favourite character by miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Loving this show. Was on again last night in case people forgot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,707 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anthony Ruivivar promoted to series regular

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Banshee threads merged.

I take back what I said after my initial viewing of the pilot. Just watched the most recent episode and this show is going from strength to strength.

Behind the scenes stunt training with Ivana Milicevic(Carrie) http://vimeo.com/50665870
    Kinda in love with this woman right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

well, they don't call it Skinemax for nothing.

quite a lot of sex, distractingly so. acting not that great but still gripping all the same.

got really thrown by the intro to one of the earlier episodes when was trapped in the building. I soon realised that there is post credits snippets.

I'm liking it though.

well, they don't call it Skinemax for nothing.

quite a lot of sex, distractingly so. acting not that great but still gripping all the same.

got really thrown by the intro to one of the earlier episodes when was trapped in the building. I soon realised that there is post credits snippets.

I'm liking it though.

Critics are loving it, got more praise as it went along...kinda like Spartacus season 1.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!
    I loved Olek. Currently Sadfacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I watched episodes 7 and 8 last night. I LOVE this show. The fight in ep8 was epic. It went on forever. Cant believe there are only two eps left.

You should watch the Origins stories too. A new story is released with each new episode. They're like 2minute clips showing what happened in the lives of our characters within the space of the last 15 years. Some pretty good stuff in there. http://welcometobanshee.com/episodes/episode_1.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

Ah bugger, only 2 left? :(. Short & sweet but at least we've a second season to look forward to. It's my favourite new show lately.

Advertisement