Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom ncd fibre roll out

Options
  • 18-10-2012 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

Just announced by eircom to day , Rush + Skerries to be included for the fibre roll out in phase 4 of national roll out of fibre to be completed by dec 2013.
    preliminary work has already started in Rush/Lusk .
    Ashbourne + Finglas are also included which include's area's of ncd like the ward/st margaret's not covered by Sword's.which has already been completed along with Donabate + Portrane. Balbriggan is allready being worked on at present.
    Good news all round for ncd , with speed's of 25 mb to 150mb as standard,broadband user's in Ncd have major improvement's in service to look forward too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Super news! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Nice one! The speeds hack me off when I am at home. Here in Switz I get 50Mbps on my phone (100 by Christmas so they tell me!) & 100Mbps in my apartment. Am struggling to get 8 at home.

Great news indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Hi OP. is there a link of where is getting it? I'd like to see if my Louth town will be getting it any time soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

The information is available on the main eircom site .The link will bring you there
    http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_Announces_Full_Year_Results_30_June_2012_/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

I'm not seeing Balbriggan on that list? Hope they are working on Balrothery too :p

Edit: Just spotted Balbriggan is on phase III. Due to completed by Easter 2013. Nice one.

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/News/Fibre_Rollout_Locations/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

Hi Hill Billy, surprised to hear you are getting near 8 in the hills as I am throttled back to 1.5 just to make a connection.

Balrothery would be included as it's within the Balbriggan exch area , as with Sword's . Donabate . Portrane etc , area's like killeek , rollerstown , the five road's . ring of the common , kilcrea , balrothery etc all area's that struggled before , will at last have some semblence of decent broadband.
    I am of course biased being an eircom tech , It's still good news allround.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Balrothery would be included as it's within the Balbriggan exch area , as with Sword's . Donabate . Portrane etc , area's like killeek , rollerstown , the five road's . ring of the common , kilcrea , balrothery etc all area's that struggled before , will at last have some semblence of decent broadband.
    I am of course biased being an eircom tech , It's still good news allround.

thanks for the update. Do you reckon we will definitely have it by Easter 2013?

dewindygap wrote: »
    Hi Hill Billy, surprised to hear you are getting near 8 in the hills as I am throttled back to 1.5 just to make a connection.

You may be on a shared copper cable with one or more neighbours. I was too, but I had a chat with the engineers when they were doing some rewiring outside my house. I mentioned that I do a bit of work in telecoms & we talked about how a 'hypothetical' connection could be improved. ;) Fair dues to them, they managed to show me by improving mine. :)

All the fibre project's have been completed , on time or ahead of target , except for specific location's that require planning , civil's etc to be completed , but all in all i see no reason why target's won't be met on time.

• Advertisement

What is great is that huge area's of Ncd will have , fibre capability outside or within reach , that's why i talked about remote area's like Corballis in Donabate or Walshestown o/side Balbriggan -- estate's like Rivermeade in St Margret's now have all the option's of ftth or fttc or traditional pstn/dsl service.
    Place's like Loughshinney , St catherine's , Lambay view , Dunsoughly /Balough , other area's like kilmoon in Ashbourne , leas cross / lispopple / knocksedan area's that were once remote , will be no longer . in anyone's book . that has to be a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

MugMugs wrote: »
    Hi OP. is there a link of where is getting it? I'd like to see if my Louth town will be getting it any time soon

Phase 2 - Drogheda, December this year.
    Phase 4 - Dundalk, December 2013.

Link: http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/News/NGA_Phase_4/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I presume this will be taken up by the likes of Vodafone etc who use Eircom networks?

The new network will be open to wholesale customer's , as far as i'm aware , magnet have been involved in the field trial's in wexford , sandyford etc.
    The new network will also offer tv service's in the near future.

So riddle me this - how does the last mile bit work? Will local level rewiring be required? Or is the phone copper capable of more once the exchange is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Not sure how eircom are doing it but likely to be somewhere in the FTT-X http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_x you can get much more capacity through copper over shorter distances and you're not as affected by crosstalk. Open to correction though

Basically the exch is moved to your nearest dist cabinet that you see us working at on the road etc , but also with the ability to provide ftth where required , or where it pass's home's / business's , we can tap in / splice to facilitate the cust.
    I can't wait , as i'm a speed freak , i'm in lusk , i get 8mb , i,ve been in to pc's since the early day's of commodore , apple + win's 95 , hell i've a pc here with a massive 1 gb hard drive , i can still remember the diff between dial up + broadband , oohh a friend had isdn then - man was he important.
    In them thar day's data line's had a massive 1 mb capacity --- the good old day's or what ,whohoo give me my 150 mb now , that's what i'm talkin bout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Lusk ain't on the list :mad:

Khannie wrote: »
    So riddle me this - how does the last mile bit work? Will local level rewiring be required? Or is the phone copper capable of more once the exchange is?

There a several ways in which to boost the signal down the copper leg hanging off fiber. For example, the copper lines can be reconfigured at Copper Access Node ports (where the fibre links to the copper) to improve the signal quality of the physical cable. It is also possible to adjust the signals themselves to reduce contention down the pipes.

Rush/Lusk are the same exch area .It's a huge area , and the best thing is , not a lot of people know how beautifull NCD is when you turn off main road's , some area's have not been touched by time , esp when your 10km from the nearest exch - this development will make a huge difference in area's , where b/band just was not an option up till now.
    link = http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fwww.nextgenerationethernet.com%2Fexchanges.kmz&hl=en&ll=53.525003,-6.16745&spn=0.108783,0.308647&sll=53.52388,-6.141357&sspn=0.054801,0.154324&t=m&z=12

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Manny Pacquiao

Looking forward to the 50 Down/20 Up package. Shame my area is one of the last to be upgraded in as it's in phase 4.

Looking forward to the 50 Down/20 Up package.

Where did you get the package details? Would be very happy with that kind of upload speed once I still had a decent ping.

Where did you get the package details? Would be very happy with that kind of upload speed once I still had a decent ping.

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/fibre/

The package in the middle is the one I have my eye on because of the unfortunate download cap. It's the same price as the up-to-24 mb package eircom offer now.

Click on "view details" for more information about the packages. The upload speed are much better than UPC's.

Edit*

UPC upgraded their packages too:

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

The contention ratio sucks in my area. Supposed to get 8MB. Get 200KB

BrianG23 wrote: »
    The contention ratio sucks in my area. Supposed to get 8MB. Get 200KB

That's not contention, your speed is slow because you're too far from the exchange. Better off downgrading to a slower package to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

This is good news, I struggle to get 6MB (and have been struggling more than usual recently!) on an 8MB package. If I could get UPC fiber I would have been gone like a shot. At last it seems decent speeds are within sight....

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/fibre/

The package in the middle is the one I have my eye on because of the unfortunate download cap. It's the same price as the up-to-24 mb package eircom offer now.

Thanks. I keep getting redirected to pages offering me 8Mb bundles with that. I'd be well happy with 50 down / 20 up though.

Thanks. I keep getting redirected to pages offering me 8Mb bundles with that. I'd be well happy with 50 down / 20 up though.

Yeah, it seems eircom fiddled around with their website shortly after I posted the that link.

Before they fiddled around with their website, they used to have a link underneath "Top Queries" on the left side of this page:

https://secure.eircom.net/talktime/talktime-evolution-flow?execution=e1s1

It brought me to the packages that have now apparently disappeared. I'll check the site every few days or so in case they list their fibre packages again.

• Advertisement

cyberhog wrote: »
    You can also use google's cache to view the details.

Nice one, thanks.
    cyberhog wrote: »
    The caps seem a bit stingy for fibre. I'll bet loads of people will go over their allowance.

Agreed. The resellers usually compete on cap though. I currently have a 350G limit with Vodafone on a 24Mbps line package (I get a solid 18Mbps).

Out of those I'd probably plump for the 150Mbps one. Don't think I could help myself, though really I have no need for that kind of speed.

Advertisement