Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom ncd fibre roll out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Anyone any idea where the cab or cabs are in Donabate. Can't say I've noticed any and it's supposed to be available here. I'm still waiting for Eircom to call me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

ksimpson wrote: »
    Anyone any idea where the cab or cabs are in Donabate. Can't say I've noticed any and it's supposed to be available here. I'm still waiting for Eircom to call me back.

Was visiting someone in The Strand today and noticed one at the estate entrance.

Edit : This map shows locations of others in the area : https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

They're all over Donabate. I live there and Magnet called me already to book in a time to swap out my phone socket and confirmed I should get 70mb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Thanks. There's a couple pretty close to me so I should be ok. If it's still being delivered to the house via the phone line, I presume I can still use the same router? i.e. no need to invest in a cable router?

If only Eircom would call me.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

How many houses does a cab serve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

SmallBalls wrote: »
    How many houses does a cab serve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

I see a vdsl 2 cab at the top of Millers Lane/Main St Skerries as well as the plinth done in McLoughlin's Lane.
    New vdsl 2 cab in place at Newtown Park's , the other news is that no E Fibre NGA installation's will be done by Eircom outside of normal business hour's - weekend's included for 3 month's by order of Comreg and will be reviewed by Comreg in mid August.

Donabate + Portrane (esp Portrane) is well served - and hopefully we'll see post's about speed improvement's there soon - Hopefully - they keep themselves quiet down there in Donabate and Portrane .The Burrow Rd - Seaview Park - Beaverstown - Turvey - down as far as Kilcrea + Corballis will be on air from tomorrow am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I saw K&N workers pulling some sort of black cable from the cab at Lady Cove, underground to a manhole on the footpath just across from it (on the Skerries Road) today.

Power line?

Possibly , was about at Golden Ridge today - major work to be done there over the next week - news just in about a new E Fibre install - posted by DavidJC over on the E Fibre thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056947885&page=8

Got upgrade this afternoon - Business premises.
    Friendly Eircom guy arrived on time.
    On Dun Laoghaire exchange. He said it was his first E-Fibre install so far.

Modem tall and flat. Looks nice. Very quick install. Guy replaced wall socket as standard to integrated filtered socket.

Speed test on Wifi 33mb down 15mb up (main concern is upload - faster than UPC). Likely 50mb down on Ethernet as advertised (no time to check earlier). Just a note - it comes with an A4 welcome page and very basic instructions. No mention of config address. This is 192.168.1.254 (I expected 192.168.1.1).

Installer had a Samsung tablet to test connection. Before he left, he showed me (stressed it was protocol) an eircom Youtube video to demonstrate connection in action and finally showed himself disconnecting and "forgetting" wifi network from his device. Good practice.

Very positive - after all these years I have something good to say about Eircom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 DezoLord

Eircom rang me on Monday and today, asking if I want a cheaper price for the service (they wanted me to renew the contract of course xD), so I was like 'I will renew it, when I get the Fibre BB in my area' and they were like 'Oh ok then'. So Rush is almost done, right? I hope it goes live here in the summer.

It will be done - so as it's written - so shall it be done - hopefully by this time tomorrow some of ye will be posting speed test result's.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Whispers

DezoLord wrote: »
    Eircom rang me on Monday and today, asking if I want a cheaper price for the service (they wanted me to renew the contract of course xD), so I was like 'I will renew it, when I get the Fibre BB in my area' and they were like 'Oh ok then'. So Rush is almost done, right? I hope it goes live here in the summer.

I hear you. I'm well out of contract and pretty much every provider has me plagued to switch. But if all the other providers are given access to Eircom's network, i.e. fibre, then I'll wait until it's available in Lusk before I go renewing any contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

..., the other news is that no E Fibre NGA installation's will be done by Eircom outside of normal business hour's - weekend's included for 3 month's by order of Comreg and will be reviewed by Comreg in mid August.

Hi 10below

Do you know why Comreg ordered this ?
    A poster in the broadband forum mentioned that UPC and Sky complaining that Eircom has a head start ...
    Just curious ...
    Thanks
    Vic

All I know(I cannot name the specific companies) is that some major element's of the comm's world did complain to Comreg - The result is that Comreg have ordered Eircom to confine all new E Fibre installation's to within normal business hour's,which mean's no installation's after 16.00 hrs during the working week or at weekend's or that Eircom cannot pay their technical staff a dividend to do install work on their own time till mid August.
    The installation regulation will be reviewed then - this does not affect the E Fibre roll out , just installation's at customer's home's or premisis.
    Crazy stuff I know - but Eircom is the only company regulated by Comreg - afaik.

Right that out of the way install's were happening all over Sword's / Donabate/ Portrane today - will someone please put up a speed test - so the rest of us can drool in anticipation.

Also - Any news I hear I post here first for my neighbours in N.C.D.
    There should be a public inquiry about the amount of money spent on the Lisenhall traffic inter-change - I recokon everyone in NCD could have had FTTH with change left over and traffic reduced by over 50%-with the money spent on that most useless project(unless you happen to be a cyclist-not that I have anything again't them) .
    I can only hope that E Fibre will at least will improve or change some or more than a few people's life in N.C.D. - post a speed result someone pls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Also - Any news I hear I post here first for my neighbours in N.C.D..

and many thanks for the updates

As the only thing I will miss when the fibre goes live in my area, is this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

Hi 10belowzero,
    You seem to be the only one in the know regarding the rollout of eFibre.
    Maybe you can shed some light because talking to Eircom is impossible the get info out of them.

Im on the Swords exchange. On the map it says Efibre is now available. Im well into the green area on the Swords exchange.
    Yet when I call them they just say my address doesnt show up. I ask them to check by the number and then they say my area is not available yet.
    I ask them to confirm i am on the Swords exchange and they say yes i am.
    I ask when i will be able to get eFibre and they go blank and they just say "we'll call you when its live in your area." Ive been getting that line for nearly 10 years about broadband as i am too far from the exchange. Now there is a new cabinet at lispopple cross just 500m from me and im still getting the brush off from them.

Is there any way to find out are they going to enable this part of the exchange or are they just leaving us without service again.

Thank's King - WE are seeing an amazing technology roll happening in front of our eye's - Telecom Eireann staff wanted this 20 yrs ago (hate to say it - Management did too - it was basically planned then).
    Enough of that kind of thing - I just hope one of ye regular poster's are going to put up 70dn/20up tonite or tomorrow , after myself or one of my most excellent team mate's have paid ye a vist.

PS - PS = If your chosen ISP give's you an APPT time - BE THERE - Tech's will not wait for you to find a cure to the slow down before Sword's on the M1 in the morning's -I'm sorry that's just the way it is , we have to move on to the next job - we do our best to facilitate customer's but As a Tech esp with E Fibre it's about connecting as many people a day as we can.
    Some job's might take hour another might take 3 and some might take all day and the rest.
    We are set a target - BUT don't know till we see the home or premises,what's involved - But as I have said here Many Time's before - we test - Clear Fault's and endeavour to provide the best Speed Possible on your line - Within all the technical parramiter's- IN OTHER word's if as a Tech I can get you Max speed - We will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

IN OTHER word's if as a Tech I can get you Max speed - We will.

Well then I sincerely hope that it's you that shows up on my doorstep!
    Thanks V much for taking the time and effort to contribute to this thread, I'm sure I speak for most when I say we very much appreciate it. Well done mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Someone did post a speed test yesterday but I assume it was put in the wrong forum as it was directed at Cork afaik

He was getting 3.0mbps down and 0.5mbps up before the install

After install he was getting 44 down and 8mb up....

Let's hope we see a speed test result from Swords/Donabate/Portrane exch area's this evening-Rush is inundated with crews working all over the area there and will be this weekend.
    EHH have to go , such a nice night out the neighbours are having a Tamango's night (bet we all go back to Jets later).

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Someone on another thread just posted this about magnet :(

https://www.magnet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Magnet-Traffic-Management-Protection-Policy.pdf

Traffic Management Details
    If a customer uses more than 4Gb during peak hours we will slow the speed of their
    connection to 1Mbps to all internet sites except the following:
     Netflix
     Youtube
     AerTV
     Spotify
     Facebook
     RTE Player
     TV3 Player

Peak Hours: Between 4pm and 1am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

nearly half of the Balbriggan cabinets are already commissioned so my prediction of late summer might be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DezoLord

10belowzero, any news on Rush?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

DezoLord wrote: »
    10belowzero, any news on Rush?

Especially Goldenridge ;-)

Am never ever - ever going near Tamango's - Jets - Saints or heartbreaker's ever AGAIN as long as I Live - is it night or day and I'M nornally teetotal.
    Psy - the Fibre team's are doing a major job this weekend for the cab's in Golden Ridge - there was a number of blockage's in the underground duct's from the Xtra vision corner out to there, and also for the cab in St Catherine's with the u.g duct's between there and Palmer Rd.
    The fibre actually run's thru Lambay View to get to St Catherine's - yes Neil Sedaka - inche's from your door.
    Gawd am dying - But we are getting there - crews have been flat out in Rush/Lusk all week - they move that fast it's hard to keep up with them - But the cab's in Rush/lusk are starting to be commissioned - as allway's when I know - you will too , gawd need my armchair now - enjoy the good weather - and will someone please put up a speed result, cya all 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

All I know(I cannot name the specific companies) is that some major element's of the comm's world did complain to Comreg - The result is that Comreg have ordered Eircom to confine all new E Fibre installation's to within normal business hour's,which mean's no installation's after 16.00 hrs during the working week or at weekend's or that Eircom cannot pay their technical staff a dividend to do install work on their own time till mid August.
    The installation regulation will be reviewed then - this does not affect the E Fibre roll out , just installation's at customer's home's or premisis.
    Crazy stuff I know - but Eircom is the only company regulated by Comreg - afaik.

From a competition point of view, what would this achieve? It seems a bit nuts to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Think the cab opposite the Michael Collins pub is still to be done as well.....any known reason why that one has been left on the long finger?

Advertisement