Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom ncd fibre roll out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jjspine

Hallaz wrote: »
    hold on i'll check.....

*15 seconds pass*

...hmmm nothing bar a small heavy duty not for peeling yellow square sticker with lightning bolt and 230v ac

Whats the verdict Doc?

ah sure we will just have to wait and see ive waited 4 years for it a few weeks longer cant hurt to much but fingers crossed its good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

dubmick wrote: »
    hope you get sorted but the last I heard from an engineer was that it wasn't ready. Does the cab have a yellow sticker on it?

What's the story with the yellow sticker thing ?
    I noticed that the 2 cabs in my estate don't have yellow stickers but the reference is hand written with a marker pen :confused: [BRN ... ]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Just means it's commissioned i.e. ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

jjspine wrote: »
    ah sure we will just have to wait and see ive waited 4 years for it a few weeks longer cant hurt to much but fingers crossed its good to go

That's the way I'm feeling about it now at this stage myself, what's another month even, I've already been waiting years!

Once it's back in time for the Premiership and I can stream my HD football in peace... that and a half decent upload speed will keep me happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Whispers

If you call Eircom and threaten cancellation, they will put you on a reduced tariff which involves a new 12 month contract. Tempted to do this, due to the arrival of fibre, however, will all other operators (Sky namely) have access to Eircom's backbone and be able to offer a cheaper bundled rate (I currently have Sky TV), or will Eircom have a few months head start?

Anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hallaz

Checked today online, and said my house was enabled which is different to previous times. Rang eircom and they advised the release date is 5th July. Still won't give me an installation date until it's live.

Ah well at least I got to second base this time!

Was going to go with magnet only for the restrictions they have during peak times! !

Big day for you tomorrow....

Any sign of it being cancelled yet?

Let me know how you get on, as soon as you post a speed test I'll be baying for either Magnets or Eircoms blood!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

BowWow wrote: »
    ESB "Cherry Picker" working on Sutton Park boxes this morning.

These cabinets got "stickers" on them over the last 24 hours - so three weeks from ESB connecting to commissioning.

Fieldog wrote: »
    Big day for you tomorrow....

Any sign of it being cancelled yet?

Let me know how you get on, as soon as you post a speed test I'll be baying for either Magnets or Eircoms blood!

:P

Disaster has struck !!!

They are telling me that my appointment has been put back to the 27th of this month in the AM and they could not give me a half decent reason as to why !!

Although judging by their website a lot has changed because yesterday it was telling me i couldnt get fibre and today its gone back to me being able to get fibre again.

he also said i should receive an email from them confirming the appointment in the next 24 hours so soon as i receive it ill post the contents here just so anyone in the area can call and get an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Disaster has struck !!!

They are telling me that my appointment has been put back to the 27th of this month in the AM and they could not give me a half decent reason as to why !!

Although judging by their website a lot has changed because yesterday it was telling me i couldnt get fibre and today its gone back to me being able to get fibre again.

he also said i should receive an email from them confirming the appointment in the next 24 hours so soon as i receive it ill post the contents here just so anyone in the area can call and get an appointment.

i was on to them myself earlier, the operator i was talking to said that there ahead of scheduled and , even tho the live date for my exchange is the 5/7, it would probably be done in 2 weeks and have an appointment for early july.

• Advertisement

kaahooters wrote: »
    i was on to them myself earlier, the operator i was talking to said that there ahead of scheduled and , even tho the live date for my exchange is the 5/7, it would probably be done in 2 weeks and have an appointment for early july.

You got an appointment before 5/7?

I want to get in before there's a backlog of installations I was told i can't get it until it's live.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Just a warning to people to avoid magnet like the plague. They did not port us properly from Vodafone (so we got a bill for 55 euro from them). When I phoned up I was told that it was a mistake and the sales people would call me back. No call. Here is the cracker.....

I am currently downloading at a rate of 1.5Mbps on a 17.7Mbps line. I know they have throttling, but I have downloaded nothing else today.

Every Sunday evening it is between 1 and 4 Mbps.

They are just a disgrace. Avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Excuse my ignorance but what's all this about appointments?
    Do you not just get switched over when it's live in your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Excuse my ignorance but what's all this about appointments?
    Do you not just get switched over when it's live in your area?

An engineer needs to call to your house

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've got an appointment for the 28th of this month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I rang up , now I'm not messing , I was told any time between July and Christmas.im on the skerries road.:-((((

Hallaz wrote: »
    You got an appointment before 5/7?

I want to get in before there's a backlog of installations I was told i can't get it until it's live.

Did you try the number checker a lot has went live according to that since yesterday !

if it saya your live then call them straight away i used 1800303641 and got directly to them instead of all the transfer crap

Did you try the number checker a lot has went live according to that since yesterday !

if it saya your live then call them straight away i used 1800303641 and got directly to them instead of all the transfer crap

Yeah I checked yesterday and told I was able to get it but went through to fibre sales and told, no not switched on until 5th July.

So that was yesterday, today I ring just because I like to collect eircom's customer service representatives names (never had the same one twice..) and i'm given a date of installation for 26th June.

fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

cathy01 wrote: »
    I rang up , now I'm not messing , I was told any time between July and Christmas.im on the skerries road.:-((((

I phoned yesterday and got the same response, I’m in Chapel Farm
    The wait is driving me crazy

Happy days that's 2 days earlier than me and I got my appt yesterday !

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    Just a warning to people to avoid magnet like the plague. They did not port us properly from Vodafone (so we got a bill for 55 euro from them). When I phoned up I was told that it was a mistake and the sales people would call me back. No call. Here is the cracker.....

I am currently downloading at a rate of 1.5Mbps on a 17.7Mbps line. I know they have throttling, but I have downloaded nothing else today.

Every Sunday evening it is between 1 and 4 Mbps.

They are just a disgrace. Avoid.

Mine is usually alright - I only get 4mb anyway but I have had the odd spike on a Sunday for no reason at all where its slowed to nowt, I rebooted the modem and it was fine though, dunno whether to grovel back to Eircom or stick with Magnet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Did anyone who upgraded already with Eircom get a money off offer from them?

A guy called me a couple of weeks ago and offered me the free upgrade and €15 off for 2 months and €10 off for the next 4 months if I recommitted with Eircom for another 12 months.

I was a bit dopey at the time as I just had a baby 2 days earlier and I asked him to call me back and of course I missed the call back.

I'll call them myself later on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Fieldog wrote: »
    Mine is usually alright - I only get 4mb anyway but I have had the odd spike on a Sunday for no reason at all where its slowed to nowt, I rebooted the modem and it was fine though, dunno whether to grovel back to Eircom or stick with Magnet.....

When you get your upgraded FTTC line you will get the real shaft. Anything more than 4GB during peak times (approximately 8 minutes worth of downloading on the fastest line) and they will throttle you to 1Mbps. It's actually a shockingly bad terms of service.

They have clearly under-purchased bandwidth. I can't get away from them quick enough. I am so glad I negotiated a short contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Splicers in Chapel Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

SeaSide wrote: »
    Splicers in Chapel Farm

Im hoping thats a good thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

ultwen wrote: »
    Im hoping thats a good thing :)

if you were living in the bioshock alternative universe - no.
    if your looking for broadband - yes

Khannie wrote: »
    When you get your upgraded FTTC line you will get the real shaft. Anything more than 4GB during peak times (approximately 8 minutes worth of downloading on the fastest line) and they will throttle you to 1Mbps. It's actually a shockingly bad terms of service.

They have clearly under-purchased bandwidth. I can't get away from them quick enough. I am so glad I negotiated a short contract.

They assured me they arent/will not be enforcing this cap, I even emailed it over to them as I was disgusted when I read it....

I dont have any contract with them either, never got one, but told them I would not be signing any contract until I get Fibre in at least a week or two and only then will I really judge them....

My friend has had them for about 2 years in Dublin and never has had an issue with them, but to be honest and to avoid a heap of hassle I might just go back to Eircom.... (who are as bad if not worse service-wise)

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

I saw some HN vans last night in Skerries on the Dublin Rd nearly opposite the Texaco Station and also in New Street. The men were unravelling large reels of orange cable which was being sent underground.

I thought everything had been enabled a few weeks ago? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dominoman

Had a chat with the guys at one of the cabinets in Skerries last night. They said they should be fully commissioned in the next two weeks. Don't know if this will mean we can start getting connected to then then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

The new cab at Ardgillan now in situ. Also road markings at various joint boxes up the hill visible.

Advertisement