Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom ncd fibre roll out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pompui

Anybody on the Gormanston road Stamullen got fiber yet

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hensch

Hi, hope someone can explain this to me.

Background
    Recently moved to Portrane, im less then 100 m from that new green box with the lock on it( see picture below), and the neighbours all have fibre.
    speaking to eircom they tell me that i can not have fibre "Fibre is enabled in your exchange however your cabinet also needs to be connected for the service to work. I'm afraid that your cabinet has not being upgraded as of yet and we have no lead time as to how long this will take unfortunately."

I thought that was the cabinet, or have i got things wrong?

oh0e21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

yep Hensch that's a VDSL cab

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

hensch wrote: »
    Hi, hope someone can explain this to me.

I thought that was the cabinet, or have i got things wrong?

As kingtiger says, it is a VDSL cabinet. However, a cabinet usually gets a yellow ID label with its number when it is commissioned. You can see an example on cabinet DBT1_001 in Portrane oppsite the hospital. This cabinet was ready for orders in May. If your cabinet does not have a yellow ID label, it is very unlikely that it is commissioned or live.

There are several cabinets near me which are commissioned with labels but not ready for orders yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hensch

the picture i posted was just a generic one, I did check this morning and the cabinet is indeed the one you mentioned, DBT1_001, so based on that there should be no reasons for Eircom to give me fibre , correct?
    pg17 wrote: »
    As kingtiger says, it is a VDSL cabinet. However, a cabinet usually gets a yellow ID label with its number when it is commissioned. You can see an example on cabinet DBT1_001 in Portrane oppsite the hospital. This cabinet was ready for orders in May. If your cabinet does not have a yellow ID label, it is very unlikely that it is commissioned or live.

There are several cabinets near me which are commissioned with labels but not ready for orders yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

hensch wrote: »
    the picture i posted was just a generic one, I did check this morning and the cabinet is indeed the one you mentioned, DBT1_001, so based on that there should be no reasons for Eircom to give me fibre , correct?

If you read the thread a few weeks ago, you would have seen a lot of talk about an eircom spreadsheet. That spreadsheet lists DBT1_001 as commissioned and ready for orders since May. If your phone line runs through a companion copper distribution cabinet, the type which are lower, wider and slimmer than the VDSL cabinets, you should be able to order. If your phone line bypasses that cabinet, then you will have to talk to eircom. I think some people ordered a new phone line to get eFibre on it and then cancelled the old line.

BTW, Portrane was misspelt as Portraine on the spreadsheet row for DBT1_001.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Mark Spilane

pg17 wrote: »
    If you read the thread a few weeks ago, you would have seen a lot of talk about an eircom spreadsheet. That spreadsheet lists DBT1_001 as commissioned and ready for orders since May. If your phone line runs through a companion copper distribution cabinet, the type which are lower, wider and slimmer than the VDSL cabinets, you should be able to order. If your phone line bypasses that cabinet, then you will have to talk to eircom. I think some people ordered a new phone line to get eFibre on it and then cancelled the old line.

BTW, Portrane was misspelt as Portraine on the spreadsheet row for DBT1_001.

I know some people who ordered new phone lines and then they cant get fibre on them. Eircom arent bothered to investigate their lines either, even though next door could have fiber installed already.

I know one guy who went to Comreg. He complained that he changed over to Eircom because of the "Free upgrade to fiber when it comes to your area" offer.
    Eircom kept telling him that it wasnt available to him. He gave them next doors number and said they had it so it was "in his area", so Eircom have an obligation to upgrade him to fiber and investigate his phone line and fix it so that it takes fiber.
    Eircom didnt have a leg to stand on so they had to send an engineer out yesterday to look at his line. They found that the line down the road from him was in bits and thats why it failed the test. They had to repair it and he now has fiber.
    Until he complained to Comreg Eircom just kept stone walling him and not helping at all. The drones wouldnt put him through to someone who could actually solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mustard1972

I know some people who ordered new phone lines and then they cant get fibre on them. Eircom arent bothered to investigate their lines either, even though next door could have fiber installed already.

I know one guy who went to Comreg. He complained that he changed over to Eircom because of the "Free upgrade to fiber when it comes to your area" offer.
    Eircom kept telling him that it wasnt available to him. He gave them next doors number and said they had it so it was "in his area", so Eircom have an obligation to upgrade him to fiber and investigate his phone line and fix it so that it takes fiber.
    Eircom didnt have a leg to stand on so they had to send an engineer out yesterday to look at his line. They found that the line down the road from him was in bits and thats why it failed the test. They had to repair it and he now has fiber.
    Until he complained to Comreg Eircom just kept stone walling him and not helping at all. The drones wouldnt put him through to someone who could actually solve the problem.

I have the very same problem myself. Has anybody else had this problem and then got it solved. Eircom reps on the phone just short circuit when asked to used their brains and i just cant get them to listen to reason. I even offered to pay the cost of an engineer to come out and track my phone line back to the cabinet to prove to them that I am on that cab and that their database is giving them wrong info. I offered to pay for this even if it cost several thousand euro, but it just does not compute for them and they blow a fuse.
    I dont know what the point in having a human at the end of the phone is for them.
    Im just so annoyed at them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

jjspine wrote: »
    Ye but I spoke to one of the engineers they knew nothing about it so hopefully vf can tee it up right for me right now still on 4mb lol

Any word on yours man?

Did VF get you sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Anyone in Skerries get Fibre yet? Or will it be September?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Anyone in Skerries get Fibre yet? Or will it be September?

Yeah, September unfortunately. I heard Rush exchange will be fired up on the 28th of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Retail Mngr

Anyone able to fill in the blanks for me....
    Is Swords Manor live?
    Is Brackenstown live?
    Is Rivermeade live?
    I'm in the middle of that triangle and trying to get an idea of when.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mustard1972

Anyone able to fill in the blanks for me....
    Is Swords Manor live?
    Is Brackenstown live?
    Is Rivermeade live?
    I'm in the middle of that triangle and trying to get an idea of when.
    Thanks

All live.
    If you cant get eFiber in those areas then you are in the same position as me.
    Something wrong with your line and Eircom are just lying to you saying "You are not on an enabled exchange" to get you off the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Retail Mngr

Hi Mustard

I'm fed from the cabinet at Knocksedan bridge (supposedly)
    any idea if that is live?
    Or how do i find out when?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Anyone know if the Newhaven estate in Balbriggan is connected yet?

Anyone know if the Newhaven estate in Balbriggan is connected yet?

Not too sure but I would say so?

I know most of the town is and its stretched up to Balrothery where I am so I don't see why it would not have stretched up to Newhaven?

Is UPC broadband not available up around that part of Balbriggan? I know it is around Dunne's area anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Fieldog wrote: »
    Not too sure but I would say so?

I know most of the town is and its stretched up to Balrothery where I am so I don't see why it would not have stretched up to Newhaven?

Is UPC broadband not available up around that part of Balbriggan? I know it is around Dunne's area anyway!

Can't get UPC in Newhaven as they said no cables were laid when the estate was being built?? That's their excuse anyway. Rang Eircom and says fibre not available in Newhaven as yet. We've always had problems with our line so want to see of anyone else has it up and running to double check..

ETA: the estate behind us has UPC so it's just Newhaven for whatever reason..

Can't get UPC in Newhaven as they said no cables were laid when the estate was being built?? That's their excuse anyway. Rang Eircom and says fibre not available in Newhaven as yet. We've always had problems with our line so want to see of anyone else has it up and running to double check..

ETA: the estate behind us has UPC so it's just Newhaven for whatever reason..

Be wary of Eircom saying "not available in your area" as over on the bband forum some chap in Donabate who knew fibre was live as his neighbour had it - was repeatedly told it was not available on his exchange, Eircom refused to entertain him...

He reasoned how can his neighbours have it and he doesn't?

Long story short - he offered to pay for a tech to come out and check his lines, they still wouldn't comply with his offer so he complained to Comreg and Eircom had someone out in a day and it turned out it was a problem on the pole outside his house holding him back! I'd link you but I'm on my phone... :-/

So a problem with their end may not immediately ring true to the agent on the phone as they can only see what's on PC in front of them!

I'd say ask your neighbours maybe and if you see an Eircom/KN networks vans around your estate you know its on the way....

I'm on Magnet these days and after a ropey start, they have surprised me....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Just put my number into Vodafone and they now say my line is fibre enabled

as Eircom was reporting my line was ready for fibre for the last two weeks,

but Vodafone definitely have the best deal as they offer up to 70meg for less than Eircom's 50meg package

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DezoLord

I received a letter yesterday from Eircom saying that eFibre will be rolled out in Rush in the next four weeks. I will be getting a call from them to arrange an installation appointment.

I am so freaking excited!

• Advertisement

5 eircom vans at the Skerries exchange today. Definitely not bad news. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

DezoLord wrote: »
    I received a letter yesterday from Eircom saying that eFibre will be rolled out in Rush in the next four weeks. I will be getting a call from them to arrange an installation appointment.

I am so freaking excited!

I got that letter the other day too.

Would I be insane to reject the offer of a free upgrade (which requires an 18 month contract) and wait and see what the competition has to offer when my eircom contract ends in October? :confused:

Since switching back to eircom from vodafone, my bills have increased!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DezoLord

I got that letter the other day too.

Would I be insane to reject the offer of a free upgrade (which requires an 18 month contract) and wait and see what the competition has to offer when my eircom contract ends in October? :confused:

Since switching back to eircom from vodafone, my bills have increased!
    :) My contract with Eircom has ended a year ago but to be honest I don't mind getting another one for 18 months. I just need that eFibre ASAP. :D

As with all things - contract lengths are negotiable. My current contract with magnet expires as soon as efibre is available in my area. Now at that point I get 3 months free efibre (which I will probably take) then switch to eircom or back to vodafone.

Khannie wrote: »
    As with all things - contract lengths are negotiable. My current contract with magnet expires as soon as efibre is available in my area. Now at that point I get 3 months free efibre (which I will probably take) then switch to eircom or back to vodafone.

I refused to even sign a Magnet contract after all the grief we got off them in the initial DSL switch, I have their fibre "on trial" at the moment and if I'm not happy after my 3 months free I will be going back to Eircom....

Since they gave us fibre their service has not dropped once so I can't complain and they have not implemented these caps they were talking about.... :-)

Co-incedently my friend in Drogheda has been getting Eircom line drops the same way we were (the reason we left Eircom) the last month or so, when this started happening round my way we were told by Eircom our bband could be intermittent in the "lead up to fibre" - so I take it as a sign his will be live in 3 months time also.... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Have seen Eircom/KN vans all around Skerries recently. Lots of new cabs around the town too. Now I have seen Eircom vans/engineers up around the old cabinet opposite Eurospar at the wall lining Kellys Bay, but as of yet no sign of a new cabinet or even markings as to where it will go. Now this is the nearest exchange to me that I can find so I'm guessing it's my exchange.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there are any hold ups with it due to maybe the old cab being built slightly into the wall or something and there being no space directly beside it for the new one? The new cabinet is installed up by the Barnageeragh cove and also one is up down by Towns Parks. So it's looking like the Kellys Bay (Eurospar) is being avoided for whatever reason.

Don't want to end up stuck in the only place in town without fibre...

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

I live in Skerries Town Centre and I spoke with a friend of mine last Sunday who happens to be a local eircom engineer. I asked him about fibre and he said that although all the ducting, cabling etc is in place in Skerries the go-live date is still scheduled for another 8-10 weeks.

It is likely that 1 October will be the date.

Have seen Eircom/KN vans all around Skerries recently. Lots of new cabs around the town too. Now I have seen Eircom vans/engineers up around the old cabinet opposite Eurospar at the wall lining Kellys Bay, but as of yet no sign of a new cabinet or even markings as to where it will go. Now this is the nearest exchange to me that I can find so I'm guessing it's my exchange.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there are any hold ups with it due to maybe the old cab being built slightly into the wall or something and there being no space directly beside it for the new one? The new cabinet is installed up by the Barnageeragh cove and also one is up down by Towns Parks. So it's looking like the Kellys Bay (Eurospar) is being avoided for whatever reason.

Don't want to end up stuck in the only place in town without fibre...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mcobrien

If you look closely, it does seems there's a rectangle painted on the ground to the left of the cab that's about the right size for the new VDSL cab. I'm a bit concerned it'll be left behind or delayed too, although I think there's one other place in Skerries still without a VDSL cab - pretty much at the other side of Skerries on the junction with the Rush road.

Is it typical of other areas that a few cabs get left until the last minute, or are delays in some areas typical? Anyone know?

mcobrien wrote: »
    Is it typical of other areas that a few cabs get left until the last minute, or are delays in some areas typical? Anyone know?

Eircom really did no favours making 10Below close his account. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 gildan

Rush/Lusk supposed to go live next Wed. Anyone got an installation date yet?

Advertisement