Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom ncd fibre roll out

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Manny Pacquiao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Manny Pacquiao

Khannie wrote: »
    Nice one, thanks.

Agreed. The resellers usually compete on cap though. I currently have a 350G limit with Vodafone on a 24Mbps line package (I get a solid 18Mbps).

Out of those I'd probably plump for the 150Mbps one. Don't think I could help myself, though really I have no need for that kind of speed.

Hopefully eircom took those packages down because they're rethinking about their future packages and the silly download caps, though, I hope they stick to their 20 and 30 upload speed because that's what attracted me to them.

150 Mb is great but the download cap is what turned me off. I know that in a shared house full of students that would be eaten through by watching streams and such - not good for landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

What is great is that huge area's of Ncd will have , fibre capability outside or within reach , that's why i talked about remote area's like Corballis in Donabate or Walshestown o/side Balbriggan -- estate's like Rivermeade in St Margret's now have all the option's of ftth or fttc or traditional pstn/dsl service.
    Place's like Loughshinney , St catherine's , Lambay view , Dunsoughly /Balough , other area's like kilmoon in Ashbourne , leas cross / lispopple / knocksedan area's that were once remote , will be no longer . in anyone's book . that has to be a winner.

This news has nearly brought a tear to my eye, this is excellent news, I am in Ringfort in Balrothery, I pay for 8mb and get 4mb, should I be in line for some kind of speed increase do you reckon?

My only issue with mine, if it was a healthy 6mb constant, I would be happy with that, hd streaming the footie gets slightly wobbly on the 4mb sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

Estate's like ringfort , should have no problem's as your within meter's of a distribution case , which serve's your estate.
    Balbriggan is due to be completed by easter 2013 .

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

I just drive from swords to Ashbourne. Most of the road is wired to the swords exchange. I did not see a single phone cabinet all the way.
    Now I know that people on that road in rolestown and kilsallaghan have probably the worst broadband in Dublin.
    So with no cabinets what are they going to do. So much for the state of broadband in NCD. Or are there cabinets along that road and I'm just blind.

• Advertisement

Rolerstown/ kilsallahan /lispopple , leas's cross etc are completed ,as far as i know , you would not really see the cab's as they are on side road's etc.
    They are hard to find at time's unless you know the area or where they are.
    Eg the cab for knocksedan etc is at the bridge ,cover's killeek/leas's cross etc ,their's a cab just below the kettle's inn , for that area.
    Every part of the operational area of Sword's exch has been covered, not just the main populated/ and commercially viable area's around Sword's it's self.
    Which is why area's like Rollerstown / killsallahan etc will see major improvement's.

Rolerstown/ kilsallahan /lispopple , leas's cross etc are completed ,as far as i know , you would not really see the cab's as they are on side road's etc.
    They are hard to find at time's unless you know the area or where they are.
    Eg the cab for knocksedan etc is at the bridge ,cover's killeek/leas's cross etc ,their's a cab just below the kettle's inn , for that area.
    Every part of the operational area of Sword's exch has been covered, not just the main populated/ and commercially viable area's around Sword's it's self.
    Which is why area's like Rollerstown / killsallahan etc will see major improvement's.

You sir are a fountain of information :)
    That sounds like good news then.
    Is that cab on the Ashbourne side of Kettles Inn? On the Swords Ashbourne road?
    Is it green? Must have a look again on my way home and see.
    If they are completed then how long til they switch on the service to customers in those areas?
    I do know someone in Rolestown whose eircom broadband speed has gone from 1Mbps down to less than half that in the last 2 weeks. So things definitely arent getting better yet.

The launch of the service , will be in the spring , negotiation's are on going with comreg etc , so their is no official launch date as yet ,afaik.
    The cab is green and on the Sword's side of the kettle's inn , at the jct of the killsallahan rd as far as i can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

KN are laying what appears to be red ducting for fiber in Balbriggan today
    They are currently on Hamilton Road next to the Educate Together and were in town center next to supervalue last night ... might drop by later to ask them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

The launch of the service , will be in the spring , negotiation's are on going with comreg etc , so their is no official launch date as yet ,afaik.
    The cab is green and on the Sword's side of the kettle's inn , at the jct of the killsallahan rd as far as i can remember.

we don't have any eircom broadband on our road.. i'm in the exchange to the left of the lusk/rush one, according to your google map. are we going to be upgraded at all?
    knightstown/hollywood/nevitt etc

• Advertisement

If the fibre is already installed to the cabs in Swords, then should people already see an improvement in their broadband? Or will there be absolutely no difference until they order fibre.

Knightstown / hollywood are out of ballyboughal exch , which is dsl enabled .
    I would expect it will be included in the future , as part of the whole 01 area.
    There would be no improvement in ordinary dsl service , cust would have to switch to fttc or ftth - fibre service to see the improvement in speed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

what about Oldtown? A friend of mine lives there and says many people can't get eircom broadband at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Any idea when stamullen will be getting fibre b/b??

Oldtown was omitted from the ngb scheme by eircom, I can't remember the exact reason why , it's possible that it was to be covered by the nbs operated by e net for the government or an alternative b/band provider.
    It may well be included with ballyboughal at some future date.

Knightstown / hollywood are out of ballyboughal exch , which is dsl enabled .

when i put in the old telephone number for this house onto the website, it says it is not DSL enabled at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

when i put in the old telephone number for this house onto the website, it says it is not DSL enabled at all.
    Have ya a link to the site?

Super hoop wrote: »
    Have ya a link to the site?

you just pretend to buy a broadband product from the eircom site. it will come up with a page that allows you to put in your phone number to check.

i spent a day last month checking what was available in my area and all we have is digiweb, ripplecom and the 3G dongle providers like 3, meteor, o2 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Retail Mngr

Hi 10belowzero

Thank You.Thank You. Thank you.
    Mannah from heven this thread. Now have 100% more info then in a long time.

K&N were pushing fibre outside my door on Killeek Lane a couple of months ago and I got very excited. Now understand that it will be Spring time before connected. (currently gettting nearly 1.7Mbp)

One question if you could - Killeek is a small country lane - only about 2 dozen homes - but the fibre cable is in the ground just out there - Will I still get a connection? To home or to cabinet? (Speed freak me)

Thanks again

Paul

Yes , Swords exch area is complete , including killeek lane + rivermeade , fttc (cabinet) basic speed 25 mb initially , no news of launch date yet i'm afraid , hopefully early next year. hths.

• Advertisement

Oldtown is currently being fast tracked for b/band very early in 2013 - ASAP from what I'm hearing , I was very surprised but it's great news for b/band starved Oldtown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Has a member of the management team moved to oldtown? They are usually easily identified by the lack of an Irish accent

I was talking to an engineer. He says that they will be selling this product in January for all those exchanges that are complete.

COMREG are sticking their foot in the door at the moment and causing delays though. I've just sent an email to both the minister and COMREG complaining abut them holding up the launch of a decent broadband product to customers when everything is in place. Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

MMAGirl wrote: »
    I've just sent an email to both the minister and COMREG complaining abut them holding up the launch of a decent broadband product to customers when everything is in place. Idiots.

Why do you think comreg are holding it up? What makes you think that they're idiots? Seems a bit silly to jump to conclusions (unless you're not providing all the information here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Im in lusk and i've 50 MB for over a year with UPC and coupld have up to 100 MB (didn't bother as would need to by new PC equip etc..).. I assume most people in NCD can probably get this too..

How is this any better? it just strikes that Eircom will be two / three years late by the time they deliver this speed? Why the all the excitement on this forum for this? is that it will just cover more people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

you assume incorrectly. Not everyone in Lusk can get UPC. Not everyone in the same estate can get UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Im in rush and i get <1Mbps. UPC is a no go here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Similar to the above post, I'm in Rush and can't get UPC broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

I'm in Skerries and no UPC here either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

ragg wrote: »
    Im in lusk and i've 50 MB for over a year with UPC and coupld have up to 100 MB (didn't bother as would need to by new PC equip etc..).. I assume most people in NCD can probably get this too..

How is this any better? it just strikes that Eircom will be two / three years late by the time they deliver this speed? Why the all the excitement on this forum for this? is that it will just cover more people?

I live in chapel farm half the estate has UPC the other half does not
    Count yourself lucky

Advertisement