Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom ncd fibre roll out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

quad_red wrote: »
    Have talked to Eircom a few times about potentially going with them.

And the Eircom rep was an honest guy (unlike allot of sales reps). Anyway, he said he would be unable to say whether Kelly's Bay in Skerries would be connected to fibre even by the end of 2014...

Ah well. Time to suck up the DSL love :(

On my way home from college today I seen them starting on the cabinet for Kelly's Bay up by Eurospar. Can't imagine it will be too long now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Just did the online chat with eircom rep. He says September still for Skerries which is good news. Said to come back early October and he'd box me off (not like that :P). Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Khannie wrote: »
    Just did the online chat with eircom rep. He says September still for Skerries which is good news. Said to come back early October and he'd box me off (not like that :P). Nice!

Oooohhhh Matron!
    :D

Oooohhhh Matron!
    (not like that :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dominoman

I see Skerries has been changed from September 2013 to 2014 on the Eircom efiber map!! Anybody know when in 2014 is it early 2014 or when??

• Advertisement

dominoman wrote: »
    I see Skerries has been changed from September 2013 to 2014 on the Eircom efiber map

GOD DAMNIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

dominoman wrote: »
    I see Skerries has been changed from September 2013 to 2014 on the Eircom efiber map!! Anybody know when in 2014 is it early 2014 or when??

That's what Eircom have said to me any time I spoke to them in the last month.

Saying that, we got a Vodafone 'fibre is coming' leaflet in the door yesterday.
    Have talked to Eircom a few times about potentially going with them.

And the Eircom rep was an honest guy (unlike allot of sales reps). Anyway, he said he would be unable to say whether Kelly's Bay in Skerries would be connected to fibre even by the end of 2014...

Ah well. Time to suck up the DSL love :(

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

Saw an Eircom van working on a green box near the Naul today, maybe the fibre is reaching there too

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lathyrus

Yay! Got my fibre connection today in Tayleur's Point, Rush, behind the Harbour Bar.
    Getting 38 Mbps download, 8 Mbps upload.
    Vodafone Simply Broadband Max ("up to 70 Mbps"), installed by KN engineer.
    Huge improvement over the 1 Mbps I was getting from the Eircom landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mcobrien

I had a chat with someone in Eircom because I just couldn't accept Skerries wasn't getting fibre sooner than 2014...

Helpful person: Hello, you are chatting with Helpful person your eircom-service chat advisor, how can I help you today?
    me: Hi there, I was keen to upgrade to fibre when it was launched in my area (Skerries), but yesterday the fibre map was updated to say it would launch in 2014. Previously it had said September. Do you know why that might have changed?
    Helpful person: Hello. The roll out that has been completed didn't include all cabinets that the lines are coming from. However the upgrade will continue into 2014 to include more lines.
    me: so will some cabinets launch shortly, or are they all delayed until 2014?
    Helpful person: If you give me your landline phone number please I will check that for you here?
    me: My number is XXX XXXX. I'm mainly wondering if I might get fibre before 2014, even if it's not available right now.
    Helpful person: I'll check that for you now. Give me one moment please.
    me: great, thanks
    Helpful person: Thank you for waiting. The details that I have here for your exchange is that is was due to be upgraded by the end of this month. Your line is not showing to be eFibre enabled yet.
    me: OK, that's great (and what I thought). Can you confirm the exchange is still due to be upgraded at the end of the month?
    Helpful person: Yes, your exchange is due to be upgraded by that time but I wouldn't be able to guarantee that the cabinet that your line is connecting from will have fibre optic cables connected to it. I'm sorry about that.
    me: Sure, I understand that. So are the dates on the map just the "worst case" or something?
    Helpful person: Yes, I'd say so. It's just that when it happens that the cabinet with your line is not eFibre enabled the roll out will still continue into 2014 to include more lines by the end of the next year.
    me: cool, thanks a lot for your help!

• Advertisement

Thank you mcobrien! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Saw two new cabinets today in Limerick. They could be there a couple of weeks. One at the entrance to Glenbrook estate on the childers rd and one at the entrance to Castletroy view estate just down the road from Glenbrook.

mcobrien wrote: »
    I had a chat with someone in Eircom because I just couldn't accept Skerries wasn't getting fibre sooner than 2014...

Spotted 2 engineers at the cabinets opposite eurospar in Skerries on my way home today. Went and asked them when said cabinet would be completed and online and is Skerries as a whole delayed until next year. They told me the cabinet was nearly completed and that all of Skerries should be completed by the end of October.

I don't get the seemingly blatant lack of communication between departments that the people on the phone can't answer any questions but I hope the two engineers are correct...

Congratulations!
    Your home can get our best value eFibre broadband bundles

We checked (01) <snip>

WOOOOOOOOOo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Skerries)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Placed my order just there. Finally, the magnet nightmare is over. I switched to eircom and have an engineer coming out on Tuesday week (i.e. 8 days).

I cannot fully express how happy I am to get away from magnet. Absolute nightmare they were in the two ways that count:
    1) Awful broadband (congested _every_ night).
    2) Billing nightmare

Good riddance. Smell you later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

At last....

3004097869.png

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Placed my order just there. Finally, the magnet nightmare is over. I switched to eircom and have an engineer coming out on Tuesday week (i.e. 8 days).

I cannot fully express how happy I am to get away from magnet. Absolute nightmare they were in the two ways that count:
    1) Awful broadband (congested _every_ night).
    2) Billing nightmare

Good riddance. Smell you later.

Khannie, who exactly did you place your fibre order with? Eircom?

Khannie, who exactly did you place your fibre order with? Eircom?

Yeah, Eircom. Lad called Derek took my call. Absolutely spot on. I went with the 40 a month for 6 months, 55 a month thereafter jobbie.

After checking the eircom website I phoned magnet. They tried to tell me it was lies "Eircom will tell you anything". When I phoned back the 2nd time to get my UAN (for switching) he was still insisting that I could not get fibre. At that point the lad from Eircom had double checked for me.

I should say that I'm very close to the exchange so I'd imagine that my "cab" is actually the exchange.

Fire your phone number into the tester to see if you're good to go. Click here. Choose "check what speed your phone can get" and select "use your eircom phone number" (I was not with eircom at the time). Mine changed within the last week.

Good luck!

When I check the number on the eircom website now it says fibre is available.

But I'm stuck with Vodafone now. Two weeks in and no DSL broadband. I called them there and they said they had no ETA as to when fibre broadband would be available in the area.

Why didn't I fecking wait! Why didn't fecking Eircom's customer services give me accurate information!

Why did I choose Vodafone? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Just had a look at the Eircom efibre map.

Obviously no one in Oldtown/Ballyboughal needs broadband! :mad:

• Advertisement

Why didn't I fecking wait!

That's the million dollar question. I at least negotiated a short contract with magnet (only until fibre was available). Ah hopefully you'll get sorted soon.

Oh god.

Please fibre, be quick coming

3004992020.png

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Oh god.

Please fibre, be quick coming

3004992020.png

Did you do that test from my house.....I have the same speed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

15th of October date set for fitting.

Spent an hour on the phone on hold for the majority.

(In Skerries btw)

WOOOOOOOOOo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Skerries)

Map on the site still says 2014, and that line checker function on the site just endlessly loops for me with no results. If you don't mind me asking what part of Skerries are you from? And indeed anyone else in Skerries who has an installation appointment? I have a feeling it will be a first cab installed first cab commissioned basis...

Need fibre by mid november...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

The cab across from the Michael Collins pub in Rush has never been upgraded which
    just happens to be the cab serving my house which means no fibre for me for the foreseeable future.

There's obviously some sort of issue with it as it seems to be the only cab left in
    the town to be upgraded. Phone calls to Eircom are pointless as the operators haven't got a clue. Pretty pi$$ed off with the whole thing.

10below if your out there under a different guise hit me up with a pm & let me know whats happening, please!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Johnggl

Golden Ridge got installed today with Eircom

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/655850350

Johnggl wrote: »
    Golden Ridge got installed today with Eircom

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/655850350

Thinly veiled "I have an iPad 2". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

SmallBalls wrote: »
    The cab across from the Michael Collins pub in Rush has never been upgraded which
    just happens to be the cab serving my house which means no fibre for me for the foreseeable future.

There's obviously some sort of issue with it as it seems to be the only cab left in
    the town to be upgraded. Phone calls to Eircom are pointless as the operators haven't got a clue. Pretty pi$$ed off with the whole thing.

10below if your out there under a different guise hit me up with a pm & let me know whats happening, please!!!

Is that covering right down to the harbour area? I'm in a little estate a bit before the Harbour Bar and not sure where my nearest cab is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I'm in Rush, between St Catherine's and Palmer Road.
    I placed an order for fibre and phone with Vodafone earlier today.
    I'm bang in the middle of two cabs (as the crow flies, both about 200 meters from me)

I was stunned when I was then told that "your line can only support 20 down, occasionally you may get 30 and perhaps in the future you will get above 50" WTF!

I was told that even eircom would back this up, as any other house in the vicinity could only get the same.

Am I being told porkys? I was under the impression that once you were within a reasonable distance from the cab, that you would get 40 - 50 at least.
    Also what other future magic would increase my speeds if the cabs are already commissioned and working?

I have 7 days cooling off period, any input appreciated.
    Thanks.

Advertisement