Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom ncd fibre roll out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

I'm in Rush, between St Catherine's and Palmer Road.
    I placed an order for fibre and phone with Vodafone earlier today.
    I'm bang in the middle of two cabs (as the crow flies, both about 200 meters from me)

I was stunned when I was then told that "your line can only support 20 down, occasionally you may get 30 and perhaps in the future you will get above 50" WTF!

I was told that even eircom would back this up, as any other house in the vicinity could only get the same.

Am I being told porkys? I was under the impression that once you were within a reasonable distance from the cab, that you would get 40 - 50 at least.
    Also what other future magic would increase my speeds if the cabs are already commissioned and working?

I have 7 days cooling off period, any input appreciated.
    Thanks.

I am in same area and got Vodafone a few weeks back. Getting 35 down in the morning drops to 15-20 around this time of night. As you said get it if your not happy after 7 days send if back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

The cooling off period starts from today though. I can cancel within the next seven days if I change my mind, but won't have a chance to test it out by then as it's unlikely I'll be connected by that time.

I don't understand how speeds fluctuate during the day/evening, I thought that was a thing of the past and only applied to DSL? I stand to be corrected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I can't understand such low speed when you are so close to the cab. We are deploying kit that runs copper for the last 200m that will give 50+Mbps from a fibre to copper node.

I just missed my bus stop writing that & now have a 1k walk back to my gaff. :o

I just missed my bus stop writing that & now have a 1k walk back to my gaff. :o

:D Sorry about that, hope you enjoyed the exercise and took the time to absorb yourself in the ambiance! Or did the exercise prove too much and you enjoyed the time in the ambulance? :D:D:D

Sorry ;)

• Advertisement

My feckin' kebab got cold. You owe me a beer. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nosnagaoithe

I'm bang in the middle of two cabs (as the crow flies, both about 200 meters from me)

I was stunned when I was then told that "your line can only support 20 down, occasionally you may get 30 and perhaps in the future you will get above 50" WTF!

I was told that even eircom would back this up, as any other house in the vicinity could only get the same.

Am I being told porkys? I was under the impression that once you were within a reasonable distance from the cab, that you would get 40 - 50 at least.
    Also what other future magic would increase my speeds if the cabs are already commissioned and working?

Thanks.

Similar situation here - am in Dun Emer Lusk, about 150-175M from cab. Got Vodafone installed this week, and only seeing around 22MB down , and 12MB upload when logging on in the evenings at 7/8 pm. Was told on the phone that I could expect a min of 50MB, up to 70MB .....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

My feckin' kebab got cold. You owe me a beer. :p

You walked it off instead of putting it on your belly. You're even. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Oh no I'm not liking the sound of this :(:(:(

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Similar situation here - am in Dun Emer Lusk, about 150-175M from cab. Got Vodafone installed this week, and only seeing around 22MB down , and 12MB upload when logging on in the evenings at 7/8 pm. Was told on the phone that I could expect a min of 50MB, up to 70MB .....

me too, but I am not connected to my nearest cab which is only 100m from my house its all the way down to the cab beside the Centra shop which is 700m

don't know why, but that is the way the estate is wired

wait for vectoring, this will remove all cross talk on your copper wire and you should be capable of getting 70-100MB when this is completed

• Advertisement

kingtiger wrote: »
    wait for vectoring, this will remove all cross talk on your copper wire and you should be capable of getting 70-100MB when this is completed

Bang on! Our Vectoring Project here in Switz last year made significant improvement in customers' speeds.

My mate managed the project - seriously tecchy stuff - glad it wasn't me. :o

Neil....
    I just tested a neighbours eircom eFibre speed in Lambay View.
    Down 24M Up 6.5M

markad1 wrote: »
    Neil....
    I just tested a neighbours eircom eFibre speed in Lambay View.
    Down 24M Up 6.5M

Vodafone are telling me 20 and occasionally 30 down with 10 up

eircom told me a "guaranteed, unfluctuating" (my asre) 30 down.

In reality I suppose nobody really knows for certain, until the modem is installed and speed tests run, I can only hope for the best.

I suppose I have a lot more to gain than many though, even with 20 down it's still a lot better than my current 1.6 ;)

Can anyone explain the ping times here, considering I'm in North Co. Dublin?

3028946494.png

3028955408.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Issuu33

Dying a death here less than 1Mbps and latency measured in days. Please tell me some has got this area on a fibre list please!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

adox wrote: »
    Is that covering right down to the harbour area? I'm in a little estate a bit before the Harbour Bar and not sure where my nearest cab is.

I'm not sure of the area it covers, but I know it does my house at the hand park
    so I presume it does everywhere in between. There is another cab around by the
    Tayleurs Point estate but I think thats only doing houses in Tayleurs Point.

Having done a bit of investigation I believe the cab opposite the Michael Collins pub
    is being held up by a planning issue, i.e. someone has objected to the location of the new cab.
    One step forward and two back it seems. God knows how long thats going to take to sort out :mad:

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Having done a bit of investigation I believe the cab opposite the Michael Collins pub
    is being held up by a planning issue, i.e. someone has objected to the location of the new cab.
    :

I heard that also, from a V reliable source!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

I have also posted this in eircom forum here but the service of late from them has been atrocious, My broadband keeps dropping and the router goes off and resets itself several time a day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

NorthDub wrote: »
    I have also posted this in eircom forum here but the service of late from them has been atrocious, My broadband keeps dropping and the router goes off and resets itself several time a day

Is that on fibre or DSL?

Mine was like that for 2 or 3 months on dsl before we got the fibre, was desperate and the reason I moved from Eircom, sometimes would go for hours for no good reason. Changed routers and tried everything, I guessed it may have been the lads on the road working on the lines for months beforehand, always seemed to happen late in the evening though when they probably were in bed!

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

DSL

I rang eircom a while back and was told it would be at least november before e fibre would be where I am, the exchange is ready but not switched over (something like that)

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

NorthDub wrote: »
    DSL

I rang eircom a while back and was told it would be at least november before e fibre would be where I am, the exchange is ready but not switched over (something like that)

and where is that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

A vodafone rep on here told me yesterday that fibre would be available in Skerries (kellys bay) from 31 October (Eircom are going door to door offering it now).

Vodafone rep said they would only be able to start making appointments for installation after 1 November.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Any word on older Estates in Balbriggan (e.g. Bremore Court / Covetown)?

Online it says that "Fibre is coming to your area: month - month", which is a change from when it said "Fibre is coming to your area: May - June" (even in July, August and September).

Thanks

Oh dear!

Ping, ping, ping.

3039855292.png

Farewell eircom, it's been an interesting year with you, I will miss you lots!!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Any word on older Estates in Balbriggan (e.g. Bremore Court / Covetown)?

Online it says that "Fibre is coming to your area: month - month", which is a change from when it said "Fibre is coming to your area: May - June" (even in July, August and September).

Thanks

I'm in Castleland and my neighbor has efibre with eircom [ install 4 weeks ago, all good ]

Bang on! Our Vectoring Project here in Switz last year made significant improvement in customers' speeds.

My mate managed the project - seriously tecchy stuff - glad it wasn't me. :o

Have it on V good authority that vectoring will begin early in the new year (Jan possibly)

For anyone that wants to know what vectoring is, http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/internet/copper-at-the-speed-of-fiber should explain it I think.

I have just received my installation date for fibre, next Wednesday.
    Bring it!

Another Lambay View, Rush neighbour.
    Vodafone... ping 100ms down 21Mb up 4mb.
    Disappointing not near the 50Mbs but still better than 1Mbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Have it on V good authority that vectoring will begin early in the new year (Jan possibly)

For anyone that wants to know what vectoring is, http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/internet/copper-at-the-speed-of-fiber should explain it I think.

I have just received my installation date for fibre, next Wednesday.
    Bring it!

That's a good article in Spectrum.
    The installer here was running some program off his ipad for about 7-8 mins . Is that the error vector calculation running, or just normal setup,

Advertisement