Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom ncd fibre roll out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

aledoux wrote: »
    Still no internet in rush for me either since yesterday. Rang eircom and couldn't fix it so engineer will contact me when available to come and see what's wrong.
    Anybody else having no efiber either?

I have just randomly been powering off and on the router since Saturday. From what I have experienced it tends to come back around midnight but then disappears around lunchtime.

Very disapppointing, just glad I am off work this week or it would be a major issue. I plan to ring for some form of compensation once resolved.

Also want to know what the problem was with something brand new...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

aledoux wrote: »
    Anybody else having no efiber either?

Friend of mine is on efibre in rush and not having any issues, for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I'm in Rush and have not had any problems, I'm with Vodafone.
    Hope you get it sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Khannie wrote: »
    Friend of mine is on efibre in rush and not having any issues, for what it's worth.
    I'm in Rush and have not had any problems, I'm with Vodafone.
    Hope you get it sorted soon.

Just got a callback from Eircom, apparently the issue is with the exchange running out of IP addresses for customers. So don't reboot or power off your router or there might not be an IP free for you to reconnect on. :confused: :eek:

I was told my issue was resolved but with the above warning to not power off if possible. They could not tell me when the IP address constraint would be resolved but it was being worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

"the exchange running out of IP addresses for customers"

That's crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

I rang eircom broadband tech support last night and they got me to plug my modem into the main socket and they ran some tests and phoned me back an hour later, the very helpful guy said yes they could see I was having problems and that he would arrange for a replacement modem to be sent out, Definitely worth ringing their broadband tech support

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Anyone having issues in Balbriggan since Saturday? Download speed has gone from 47Mb to 3Mb but upload is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

DarrenG wrote: »
    Anyone having issues in Balbriggan since Saturday? Download speed has gone from 47Mb to 3Mb but upload is fine.

same problem here. Widespread issue, Vodafone looking into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

I got my new eircom modem/router on monday, so far so good and no issues of service dropping, still havent been enabled for e fibre yet but hopefully it wont be too long,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Vodafone told me today the problem has been fixed. Speeds have improved slightly but I'm still getting less than half the speed of what I was getting last week. I've been back onto them to investigate further.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 ChuchuBear

very quick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

DarrenG wrote: »
    Vodafone told me today the problem has been fixed. Speeds have improved slightly but I'm still getting less than half the speed of what I was getting last week. I've been back onto them to investigate further.

Yeah similar here, getting 36 down and 13 up. Usually get about 66 down and 17 up.

I have an engineer coming out today (according to a text I got). Looking forward to it. I actually ended up sticking with magnet because of eircom's arse up. Magnet offered me 3 free months and no contract. If the magic happens I'll post up a speed test later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Have Vodafone coming out on Thursday to do the fibre install (huzzah!).

Any tips/issues I should look out for before they leave?

Also, a question for those who have it installed. Our house alarm has a text to function that connects to the phone line. I presume this will still work with the new setup?

Thanks,
    Quad

quad_red wrote: »
    Any tips/issues I should look out for before they leave?

Nah. Not really.
    quad_red wrote: »
    Also, a question for those who have it installed. Our house alarm has a text to function that connects to the phone line. I presume this will still work with the new setup?

Yep. Just mention it to the engineer, but it should be sound. Maybe test it while they're there.

3096317826.png

Not as good as I was hoping, but not too shabby either. Ping is pretty disappointing.

3096317826.png

Not as good as I was hoping, but not too shabby either. Ping is pretty disappointing.

How far are ye from the exchange, khannie?

I live very close to the exchange. The guy from magnet said that's actually not important and that I was about 400M from my nearest cab. The lads said they did the changeover at the cab, so I suppose that's that.

I have to say they were very decent lads from Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Moonloop

Anyone have any ideas when fibre will be available in Skerries ?? Eircom are going door-to-door saying 2014 but their map indicates that it is ready now !

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

Sky haven't a clue as usual and if they start bumping prices I'll be off ;)

~M~

Moonloop wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas when fibre will be available in Skerries ??

I'm in skerries. Just got it today. It's available.

• Advertisement

I'm in skerries. Just got it today. It's available.

Nice one ! Who are you with ; Eircom ?

What kind of speeds are you getting ?

~M~

I just posted, five posts ago. :)

I just posted, five posts ago. :)

Sorry :o Me Mammy dropped me when I was really young :)

Hope Sky get their finger out !

~M~

Nice one ! Who are you with ; Eircom ?

What kind of speeds are you getting ?

~M~

I'm in skerries as well. Getting installed on Thursday with Vodafone. Only ordered yesterday as well!

Excellent ! If Sky don't hurry up I'll jump ship . They're the masters of providing 'incentives' for new customers only so it wouldn't break my heart to give them some of their own treatment by moving on .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Excellent ! If Sky don't hurry up I'll jump ship . They're the masters of providing 'incentives' for new customers only so it wouldn't break my heart to give them some of their own treatment by moving on .

M

Sky aren't launching their fibre till April 2014.

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Sky aren't launching their fibre till April 2014.

Any source for that , it's not on their website and their reps are just ignoring people on the support forum .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Any source for that , it's not on their website and their reps are just ignoring people on the support forum .

M

Got a cold call from them a couple of weeks back asking was I interested in broadband packages etc.
    When I questioned him on the launch date for their fibre he eventually told me April 2014. I didn't sign up :)
    A few people over on the main broadband forum have been told the same thing.

So the new fibre is actually pretty good. It's noticeably faster, especially for connecting into the house (which I do a bit).

Unfortunately we lost our phone with the upgrade. The eircom engineer warned me that this was about to happen.

Magnet are now telling me that I need to plug the phone into the router and that this is the only way it will work. The router and the phone are diagonally opposite each other in the house. Magnet are actually a giant bunch of muppets.

• Advertisement

So the new fibre is actually pretty good. It's noticeably faster, especially for connecting into the house (which I do a bit).

Unfortunately we lost our phone with the upgrade. The eircom engineer warned me that this was about to happen.

Magnet are now telling me that I need to plug the phone into the router and that this is the only way it will work. The router and the phone are diagonally opposite each other in the house. Magnet are actually a giant bunch of muppets.

Vodafone aren't much better. I asked the person on the phone who took the fibre order how exactly the phone was connected (to the modem, to the wall etc.) and I was met with nervous hesitation. Basically clueless.

It also took me three 20 minute plus phone calls to finally get through and place the order. I dread to think what the story will be if there are complications. Touch wood there'll be none.

Advertisement