Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom ncd fibre roll out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭robbok

I recently moved to Magnet Fat pipe fibre , I typically get 50Mb upload and around 20 download , it is a huge improvement on my previous 2Mb with Vodafone

The migration was fairly seamless but here are a few lessons learned that might help others

1 Eircom replace your existing standard phone socket with one that has two connections one seemingly for the router and one for the phone
    The phone connection is NOT used , your phone plugs into the router
    2 With the phone plugged into the router there should be a voice LED lit up on the router, if you get an engaged type tone on your phone it may need Magnet to enable the voice service on your line

I had to contact the Magnet help desk once and the customer service (billing) once so far and both times have been excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Moonloop

Sounds great ! If I get no joy from Sky I will start ringing around !

M

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ian_rush

Anybody heard an update on the Michael Collins box in Rush yet. Feeling very left out on Kilbush lane especially as the interconnector is killing our adsl

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

ian_rush wrote: »
    Anybody heard an update on the Michael Collins box in Rush yet. Feeling very left out on Kilbush lane especially as the interconnector is killing our adsl

I was going to ask the same question as I saw workers there last week. I was even thinking of giving Eircom a call but from what others have said here I don't think the call centre people would have a clue about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dobie

meolwan wrote: »
    I was going to ask the same question as I saw workers there last week. I was even thinking of giving Eircom a call but from what others have said here I don't think the call centre people would have a clue about it.

I have a business acc with Eircom and spoke to an agent about the cab on Monday. The Cab is listed in their system as The Thatch Lower Main Street and it should be up running by the end of next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Hubba hubba. Come to papa.

3101516940.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

quad_red wrote: »

3101516940.png

Happy days! Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

My normal Magnet connection, not bad considering I'm streaming on YT also....

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/648825542

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

quad_red wrote: »

3101516940.png

Nice ping there. I bet your whole internet experience feels very nippy altogether.

Funny I remember having an 8ms ping to a server in citywest in the early days of broadband. Never went above 12. Mmmmmm. 8ms.

Eircom have just told me that Skerries should be live by end of November.

Sky haven't told me anything. At least nothing that makes any sense . They won't give a date or guesstimate Fibre touchdown .

Very frustrating . Speed of fibre would help with work too . Should I stay or should I go ? 😳

M

• Advertisement

Moonloop wrote: »
    Eircom have just told me that Skerries should be live by end of November.

It's live now. Myself and Quad Red both have it. It's very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Khannie wrote: »

Hey Khannie, pics or gtfo. :pac::pac::pac:

Khannie wrote: »

Lucky Bugger ! With every call I make I get told a different tale . Sky say I would have to pay up the Contract in full if I leave early or go the legal route if I want to force the issue :mad: They also say Sky Fibre will arrive in February ....but it could be April :eek:

M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Dobie wrote: »
    I have a business acc with Eircom and spoke to an agent about the cab on Monday. The Cab is listed in their system as The Thatch Lower Main Street and it should be up running by the end of next week.

Hopefully up and running soon. I`m in Seafield Court and dying a death with Skys ever decreasing DSL speeds every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Have had it in Lusk for the last 4 weeks.

adox wrote: »
    Hopefully up and running soon. I`m in Seafield Court and dying a death with Skys ever decreasing DSL speeds every evening.

You want to be with Eircom to know about decreasing speeds;)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

I ordered efibre from eircom but am I going to live to regret it.
    Checked the eircom website, and efibre is available for my number.
    Checked the likes of digiweb and magnet and they also said fibre was available for my number.
    Ordered efibre on Friday from eircom website, was onto the live chat while my order was going through successfully.

Rang them today, transferred around a bit as order was not on the system.
    Eventually put through to this guy who said that fibre is not actually available until 27th Nov, and on that date, an order will automatically appear on their system as I have ordered it already.

Who knows what's going to happen :(

That will not happen. I had similar nonsense and got a call that left a message to say my order was cancelled (after I had bothered escalating it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I ordered efibre from eircom but am I going to live to regret it.
    Checked the eircom website, and efibre is available for my number.
    Checked the likes of digiweb and magnet and they also said fibre was available for my number.
    Ordered efibre on Friday from eircom website, was onto the live chat while my order was going through successfully.

Rang them today, transferred around a bit as order was not on the system.
    Eventually put through to this guy who said that fibre is not actually available until 27th Nov, and on that date, an order will automatically appear on their system as I have ordered it already.

Who knows what's going to happen :(

I would not rely on that...ring and ensure order is placed over the phone with the eFibre team (not regular chat/support) once available. I had placed orders online and they never found them when I called even though I had order numbers. In the end 20mins on the phone placing the order sorted it.

In my case once the map said it was available and my phone line lookup also said it was available when I phoned it was indeed available.

Word of warning - I was forced to give magnet 30 days notice despite getting _free_ service from them at the moment. Yep. You read that right. Their service is so poor that I'm not even willing to take it for free. Here's why.
    • We had a heap of (expensive) billing issues with them.
    • I had to go to lengths to sort out the billing issues. They weren't interested.
    • Broadband speeds before fibre were ~10% what I was paying for.
    • I was made jump through hoops before they'd acknowledge that it was simply contention
    • I'm now getting ~11Mbps down on my 50Mbps fibre connection - Less than I should have been getting on my non-fibre connection.
    • Our phone is now tied to the modem. There was no up front warning of this.
    • The phone is not a normal phone line any more. It is no use as an emergency phone any more (i.e. if the electricity goes, we have no phone line).
    • We had no phone for several days because of mistakes their end during the fibre upgrade.
    • They added a heap of wiring and a fugly box on the wall when I was told there would be none
    • Our voicemail is gone
    • Our phone number is no longer private

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

was online with eircom and confirmed Lambay View, Rush, fibre speed is 28MB ish :-(
    I know it's better than 1.3MB but I was expecting more from the fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I have it on good advice that an additional 562 exchange areas are to be completed countrywide by 2016. Hopefully Oldtown & Ballyboughal will be included as I think that they are the only gap left in the 01 area.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Ordered fiber (FTTC) broadband from Vodafone today for Kellys Bay Skerries, order accepted \o/
    cooling off period is 7 days from the date of order, installation day is up to 10 days from the date of order /o\

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

To save me poking through the whole thread, does anyone know what the story with fibre is on the Skerries Road end of Balbriggan? I had to ring vodafone recently to get an issue fixed on my line, and I asked was fibre available yet. I was told no, and he couldn't tell me when it might be available. Is this because I'm with vodafone and eircom won't let them sell the package there yet, or is it just not available in the Fancourt/Hampton Cove area?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Ordered fiber (FTTC) broadband from Vodafone today for Kellys Bay Skerries, order accepted \o/
    cooling off period is 7 days from the date of order, installation day is up to 10 days from the date of order /o\

We already had VF DSL in Kellys Bay but the upgrade to fibre happened really fast. Ordered on a Friday. Got confirmation of appointment first thing the following Monday morning, modem came in the post on the Tuesday and installer came on the Thursday morning.

Gotta say - can't fault VF on the customer service and quality of service we've experienced so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

For anyone interested, I heard back from eircom that Fancourt/Hampton Cove (and presumably other areas in that part of the town that don't have fibre already) in Balbriggan won't have fibre broadband before 2015! There is no plan to upgrade due for at least a year.

So despite all the fanfare and trumpeting from eircon, despite the fact it's the second-largest town in north Co Dublin and less than 20 miles from the centre of the capital city, despite the fact that both eircom fibre and UPC are available in the town, I can't get fibre from one provider for at least a year and probably a lot longer, and will most likely never see the other. I know it's a first world problem, but it still p!sses me off big time!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dominoman

@blastman its not just Balbriggan it seems thet there are plenty parts of Skerries where fiber is not available. I know 3 people in different parts of the town and it is not available to any of them. Last time I rang up I was told it could be some time in 2014 but they could not give me a date.

dominoman wrote: »
    @blastman its not just Balbriggan it seems thet there are plenty parts of Skerries where fiber is not available. I know 3 people in different parts of the town and it is not available to any of them. Last time I rang up I was told it could be some time in 2014 but they could not give me a date.

It is Rush as well I rang them yesterday to find out what is the time line for the harbour area and I may as well be talking to the baby here. All I got is showing on the map that rush has efibre. Then I was told I lived to far away from the exchange. When I said that a newer estate beside me had efibre I was told that my line was too old to handle fibre. I was then told that I was getting the max that my line could carry I asked what that was and I was informed 3-4gb. I said that I could get quicker and more on a smartphone to be told but that is not fibre. Such experts make me think that the country is safe with eircom running the communications of the country.
    Sorry Mod for the rant but just hope someone on here can give me some idea when I can use the broadband with out the freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

If they are saying your line is too old other posters have said they ordered a second line and when its up and running cancel the first

• Advertisement

Gumble01 wrote: »
    If they are saying your line is too old other posters have said they ordered a second line and when its up and running cancel the first

Thanks for that advice it is something I might try.;)

Advertisement