Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom ncd fibre roll out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Finally have the fibre installed in the Kellys Bay area in Skerries. paying for 50mb and getting 60mb down and 20mb up at peak times. So far so good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭briany

Is the Eircom man supposed to install the actual router or can people do it themselves once the new socket is put in? Router set up here is a malange of dust and wires and in an awkward position. I know my way around it and it's a pain for me, I doubt it would be much better for a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

Finally have the fibre installed in the Kellys Bay area in Skerries. paying for 50mb and getting 60mb down and 20mb up at peak times. So far so good :)

I have vodafone fibre installed for the last 3 weeks now in Skerries just next to you in Windmill View and we only get 28ish mb. :mad:
    It's much better than the previous 1.2mb but I was hoping for a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

hi there,
    just wondering what happens after you order eircom efibre ???

I had a notice from An Post that I missed a registered letter/parcel and just wondering could this be the modem ?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

hi there,
    just wondering what happens after you order eircom efibre ???

Often nothing. For at least a month anyway. No information, no updates, even if you try to follow up your order with phone calls every second day to try and get some info. Actually, that's not correct. If it's the same as myself, you'll get a letter dated the day after your order telling you that an appointment has been made. When you phone the number provided, you're eventually told that no appointment exists and they have no idea when you'll get an appointment. 5 weeks later and they'll still have no idea.

Sorry, I can't actually answer your question. Maybe sometime in 2014 I'll be able to. Hope you have better luck with them!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just connected in Milverton (with Vodafone):

3202772373.png

That's about 3-4 times the download speed I was getting, and pretty much in line with what was promised (15 Mb/s). I'm over a km away from the "box" (near the railway bridge at the roundabout on the way out of Skerries), so I'm not complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Beasty wrote: »
    Just connected in Milverton (with Vodafone):

3202772373.png

That's about 3-4 times the download speed I was getting, and pretty much in line with what was promised (15 Mb/s). I'm over a km away from the "box" (near the railway bridge at the roundabout on the way out of Skerries), so I'm not complaining

So I live 2km from my local cabinet, been checking my mates phone number as he lives right beside it and it has just been fibre enabled according to the website, when I put in my number, I still don't have efibre - but I guess wouldn't expect to given how far away I am from cabinet. Does this mean that I will actually be able to get broadband at 10-15mb download speeds? Previously was told that it would be well under 1mb as we are more than 6km from the exchange. I would be plenty happy if I could get >4mb consistently as would work fine for streaming stuff. Have wireless at the moment which is supposed to be 8mb and is rarely above 4mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

Obviously it depends on your own usage but which provider do you think has the best deal on fibre.
    Had an order with eircom off peak calls for 30 for first 6 months and then 45 a month but cancelled that.
    I make the occaisional call to UK and that was not included.

Are Vodafone the best priced at 47.50 a month for all calls including UK and free for first 3 months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭McDook

Zagato wrote: »
    So I live 2km from my local cabinet, been checking my mates phone number as he lives right beside it and it has just been fibre enabled according to the website, when I put in my number, I still don't have efibre - but I guess wouldn't expect to given how far away I am from cabinet. Does this mean that I will actually be able to get broadband at 10-15mb download speeds? Previously was told that it would be well under 1mb as we are more than 6km from the exchange. I would be plenty happy if I could get >4mb consistently as would work fine for streaming stuff. Have wireless at the moment which is supposed to be 8mb and is rarely above 4mb.

I doubt you will get fibre ever. There are people who live next door to others who can get it, but eircom wont hook them up. If your line doesnt pass the test when the cab goes on line forget it. You are stuck with what you already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mrs Billy tells me that eFibre is now available in The Blackhills & we have an install date for next week. Being less than 100m from the cab I'm hoping for good speeds. Will let you know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

Hi Hillbilly, thanks for that update. Just did a check on my own tele no from same cab and still the same negative response. May I ask how your better half came by the news?

If our old pal 10belowzero is reading this & is doing the install by the gates next week - be sure to make yourself known. ;)

dewindygap wrote: »
    Hi Hillbilly, thanks for that update. Just did a check on my own tele no from same cab and still the same negative response. May I ask how your better half came by the news?

While Neil_Sedaka might agree wholeheartedly with you - I'm not too sure about herself being the 'better half'! :p

She rang eircom on Monday. The chap did a line test for her & all, then confirmed we were good to go.

Thanks for that, Hill Billy. Will be watching your posts with added anticipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

So does that mean that even if the website says your not live you still could be ? Just ring and check ?

That's right Cathy.

@dewindygap - Call 1901 to see if you are good to go.

eFibre installed today. Took 20 minutes & was no hassle (ie, offer of tea/coffee was declined & no mess was made), so Mrs Billy tells me.

I asked straight away what the speed test came back with & she informed me that she went shopping as soon as the install was done. WTF!? She walked out that door without doing a speed test first! Arrrgghhhhh!!!!!!

I will politely request one to be done later & post the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Did you go with Eircom THB?

Yup. I can't remember the specifics of the deal, but it seemed good enough. Also, I cannot fault the service that I received from them whenever we had any issues over the years - so felt no need to move supplier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

She walked out that door without doing a speed test first!

That is truly shocking :eek: :eek: :eek: and :eek: again!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

just fyi, atm eircom are having issues with speeds after 6pm untill after midnight, 0030 usually, its really annoying, speeds are going from 50mb to 2 - 6 depending on your area.

That is truly shocking :eek: :eek: :eek: and :eek: again!

"Better half" my arse! :p

41.73Mbps down
    7.87Mbps up
    Ping: 73ms

:)

Hi Hill Billy and thanks for the updates. To be honest I was doubtful when you said you had an appointment but delighted it has come to pass. After your earlier post today I repeated my online efibre check and again failed so I decided to take your advice and ring them. Eventually got through (after maybe 15min) only to be told by the staff member that no, my area is not yet enabled, despite sharing the same cab as yourself. Like banging the head against the proverbial wall.

Are you far from the gates? I know that there was another install on Baltrasna yesterday, so it wasn't just that I was lucky.

Funny enough, just put in my neighbours number and it passed.

Interesting... Can I suggest that the next time you see the eircom lads up your way that you pop over & ask why this may be the case.

We had been trying to get broadband a few years ago & were always being told by customer service that our line wasn't suitable. Mrs Billy got chatting to one of the lads working by the gates one day & asked why we couldn't get broadband. He took a quick look at the pole our line came in on & said it was because we were sharing a single copper connection with a neighbour, but he'd sort it for us next time he was around.

Sure enough, a few weeks later he gave me a shout as he was driving by & said we were good to go. I rang up customer care that afternoon & hey presto! We got the go-ahead & had our bb installed a week or so later. :)

It could be a similar issue with your connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Heads Up all you poor souls down Lower Main Street and the harbour area of Rush.

The cab opposite the Michael Collins is now live and eircom are taking orders for fibre.

Yay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

Gave my order in about 4 months ago and still no word on it. I will give them another call on Monday.
    It is getting to the stage down here were I was going to put a loft in the back as a carrier pigeon would be quicker delivering messages then the email.:mad:

Advertisement