Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom ncd fibre roll out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Heads Up all you poor souls down Lower Main Street and the harbour area of Rush.

The cab opposite the Michael Collins is now live and eircom are taking orders for fibre.

Yay!

Mines being installed next Monday. Will be interesting to see what speeds I get(I`m in Seafield Court).

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭yknaa

Saw Eircom staff busy pushing lots of cable underground at the entrance of our estate during the week. Could this mean we will get e-fibre before too long? I wonder what the time delay is from 'wiring' an area/estate to actually offering the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

yknaa wrote: »
    Saw Eircom staff busy pushing lots of cable underground at the entrance of our estate during the week. Could this mean we will get e-fibre before too long? I wonder what the time delay is from 'wiring' an area/estate to actually offering the service?

It was about 3 weeks for me between me seeing the guys wiring and it being available to order (may have been 4 weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I don't mean to pee on the parade, but it was 7 months from cable-pushing to availability up in The Blackhills.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

adox wrote: »
    Mines being installed next Monday. Will be interesting to see what speeds I get(I`m in Seafield Court).
    3279460267.png

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Got mine in the same day as adox, Monday and today it was 50 MBs download and 10MBs upload. That is some difference from what it was not that I know much about these things but there is a noticable difference just browsing

I dont download much but my son reckons its the business. Before he could go have a snack waiting for some things to download but now he says its a different world altogether.

Thanks Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I rang them the other day and was told it will be a few more MONTHS yes MONTHS till its available.i feel like a pawper haveing to make ado with 2.?? Mb oh the shame .:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dominoman

cathy01 wrote: »
    I rang them the other day and was told it will be a few more MONTHS yes MONTHS till its available.i feel like a pawper haveing to make ado with 2.?? Mb oh the shame .:-(

You are not alone Cathy. Myself and my brothers who are in three different places in Skerries keep being told we cant be given a date when fiber will be availabe to us. One of us is right smack bang in the middle of the old town while me and my other brother are in 2 different older estates in the town. :mad:

I have on good authority that the Cab in Shenick in Skerries is now commissioned, likewise I think for Mourne View. So you should be getting connectivity shortly in those areas.

Fair dues to the techs, with all the crap weather & damage recently, I'm sure they've been busy boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

Got mine in Chapel Farm Lusk - and it is excellent.

• Advertisement

Finally am rid of Magnet. So happy.

Today the eircom engineer rolled in and sorted out my efibre. 67 down (this morning), 17 up, 23ms ping and that was on wifi. Zing! My wife just sent me this. :D

294840.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭briany

Khannie wrote: »

Today the eircom engineer rolled in and sorted out my efibre. 67 down (this morning), 17 up, 23ms ping and that was on wifi. Zing!

Whatcha planning on doing with all that new bandwidth, hmmm? I find the ability to torrent, watch hd video and have web browsing going on multiple devices, all smoothly, pretty pleasing.

briany wrote: »
    Whatcha planning on doing with all that new bandwidth, hmmm?

I plan on running speed tests for hours and hours and hours and hours. :D

"Look. LOOKIT! LOOKIT ALL THE BANDWIDTHS!!!"

I plan on running speed tests for hours and hours and hours and hours. :D

"Look. LOOKIT! LOOKIT ALL THE BANDWIDTHS!!!"

Gotta tell you, after you run the 1000th speedtest, it starts to get boring.

Ah, OK, it doesn't....

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

Today the eircom engineer rolled in and sorted out my efibre. 67 down (this morning), 17 up, 23ms ping and that was on wifi. Zing! My wife just sent me this. :D

294840.jpg

How far are you from the exchange?

Is that a WIFI or a wired connection?

Thanks!

How far are you from the exchange?

Is that a WIFI or a wired connection?

Thanks!

That was over wifi. I ran a test last night over the wired connection and got only 20Mbps. Presumably that was congestion. Wasn't too happy about it.

I'm very close to the exchange, but I think it's distance to the cab that counts. I was told I'm 200M from the nearest cab.

That was over wifi. I ran a test last night over the wired connection and got only 20Mbps. Presumably that was congestion. Wasn't too happy about it.

I'm very close to the exchange, but I think it's distance to the cab that counts. I was told I'm 200M from the nearest cab.

Was that the top result? A lot of times it can be the remote server that's experiencing slow down, as opposed to your own machine. That's my experience, anyway. It's always a good idea to hit a few different servers around the place if the first one is under-performing.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

I'm the opposite. I get nearly full speed about 67Mbps using a wired connection but about 40Mbps over wifi. I expected there to be a drop off over wifi but not that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paudge61

Has anyone had trouble with fibre in Lusk recently? I was a very happy ordinary broadband customer with Digiweb and then I switched to fibre. I'm now without service since Sat 15 Feb. Digiweb say Eircom have to look into the line seemingly but due to stormy weather the usual 3-5 working day repair has become 10 days. I have seen a few KN vans around so there is hope... .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There's a lot of it about - see this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057154365

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Hi All,

Is there any word of eircom coming back to finish out areas they've skipped? On their site it says that Balbriggan is available in all areas, but when I look into ordering it for Bremore Court (near the Garda station) is not available yet.

Thanks,
    F.

I've no idea, but the guys in the eircom forum may be able to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dominoman

Finally got Fibre installed :P. However not too happy with download speeds. I was getting 14 on ADSL and now getting below. Installer told wife we are directly connected to the exchange for some unknown reason even though the nearest cabinet is about 400M away. He said ours was the first connection of that type he has done. I suppose the ping and upload speeds are a lot better though. The exchange is about 1km drive away but according to my attenuation of 23.6 it is about 1.7km as the cable runs??

3524743958.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Hi All,

Is there any word of eircom coming back to finish out areas they've skipped? On their site it says that Balbriggan is available in all areas, but when I look into ordering it for Bremore Court (near the Garda station) is not available yet.

Thanks,
    F.

This is complete bulls**t. I'm at the Skerries Road end of the town and there's no fibre up that way at all, as far as I know. I certainly can't get it, and won't have it before next year at least, eircom told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

blastman wrote: »
    This is complete bulls**t. I'm at the Skerries Road end of the town and there's no fibre up that way at all, as far as I know. I certainly can't get it, and won't have it before next year at least, eircom told me.
    Same here. Late 2015 at the earliest before they go back to fill in the holes they left behind (older estates).

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

Does anyone know if the Kelly's Bay Cliffs estate is eFibre ready? Actually I'd love to know what the best 'broadband only' package for a fairly heavy user in this estate is. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Also, any news on Vectoring for the established cabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Just received the following from a V reliable source:

"St Catherine's cab & all the cab's in Rush/Lusk are now vectored.
    Customer's on direct cable's will soon be getting e fibre in Lusk/Rush, Donabate & Skerries.

Also Lusk/Rush, Malahide/Portmarnock, Balbriggan (I think Skerries is included) will be getting FTTH within 18 month's, meaning speed's 10,000mb/1gigabit to the home, work has all ready started.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Does fibre to the door mean new phone cables above the ground or are they put underground?

• Advertisement

Fibre's a bit more fragile than copper, so I'd guess below the ground.

Advertisement