Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom ncd fibre roll out

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Thought so.

Surely that is gonna cause allot of issues?

Allot of areas have phone lines going along the backs of gardens etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

For google fibre in the US, they only install it once you order it. I guess it's no more hassle than installing a new phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Khannie wrote: »
    Fibre's a bit more fragile than copper, so I'd guess below the ground.

sorry Khannie once it in its cable sleeve Fiber is incredibly tough

they will run it with existing overhead power lines and from distribution points through ducts to your house

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It can depend on the available infrastructure in the area. Sometimes the fibre will run to the local cab & then use existing copper to complete the connection, this is FTTS (Fibre to the Street). Where they can get the fibre to the building but need internal copper to connect to your kit, this is FTTB (Fibre to the Building). This is generally done in older apartment buildings. Full fibre connection from your kit to the cab is FTTH (Fibre to the Home).

As Khannie rightly says - fibre will generally be underground all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

kingtiger wrote: »
    sorry Khannie once it in its cable sleeve Fiber is incredibly tough

Don't be sorry. :) I'm always happy to learn. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Does anyone know what the story is with fibre up the Skerries Road end of the town in Balbriggan? Apparently the cabinet is now fibre-enabled, any idea how to go about getting the half-decent BB (I've rung and been told it's not available on my line, if the cab is ready, how do I get it on my line, then?)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

blastman wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is with fibre up the Skerries Road end of the town in Balbriggan? Apparently the cabinet is now fibre-enabled, any idea how to go about getting the half-decent BB (I've rung and been told it's not available on my line, if the cab is ready, how do I get it on my line, then?)?

I ran g and asked and was told it would be ready In maybe July.i think that box is a fridge for keeping their milk cold it's there that long

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Thanks Cathy, are you that side of town? I always thought you were the other end for some reason....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

anybody got vodafone fibre? i am getting packet loss on a simple ping to google.ie, if so could someone please run a ping? and see if any packets drop for your connection

Thanks

It was the patch cable going to my pc. Changed it and all back to normal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gerryp2000

We are about to move into Seacrest, in Skerries - but the lack of fibre broadband connection will make us want to move out !!!

Based upon Eircom's coverage webpage the following locations have eFibre enabled;

Martine Court
    Moorings Cove, Balbriggan Road
    The Grove & The Crescent, Skerries Rock
    Townparks
    Foxgrove

As you can see from the above locations, some of them are quite close to Seacrest and it's very frustrating not knowing when your own street will be connected to eFibre

Eircom don't share their information to their customers - boooo

• Advertisement
Advertisement