Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom ncd fibre roll out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

also in Lusk

no UPC either

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

I cancelled my Eircom line a few weeks ago because of rubbish broadband.
    I got a call on Friday from eircom to ask me why cancelled it.
    At the end of my rant she offered me fibre, to be installed in the first week of feb. of course I said yes. Apparently they can connect me early because my line isn't suitable for adsl anymore. Anyone with Working adsl now , will have to wait another couple of weeks after that.
    It will be 55 for 25meg. Incl phone. Cap 500gigs.
    So roll on the first week in feb.
    I'm on the swords exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

I'm in Skerries and no UPC here either.

I'm in Balbriggan, no UPC and its not likely to change in the near future, stuck with poor quality Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

I see a lot of activity around Rush today from KN networks which I presume
    has something to do with this? God the thoughts of half decent internet speeds
    is giving me a semi :D

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

SmallBalls wrote: »

Im am indeed looking forward to a better service maybe not as much as your good self

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

SmallBalls wrote: »

Sorry to break your semi :D , but Rush is planned for Dec 2013 ...
    http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Sorry to break your semi :D , but Rush is planned for Dec 2013 ...

Thats my christmas present sorted anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

yes , contractor's have started the fibre roll out in lusk + rush , ballbriggan is well on it's way to completion , work on the fibre in skerries is also well advanced , all these area's will be completed in advance of the projected forecast , more than that i cannot say at the moment for obvious reason's , i will advise more when i can , huge resource's are being put in place to complete these project's asap.

thanks 10 below for the info,

just one question, is fibre in Lusk just to the cab?

if so, how is my speed going to be increased if my line to the cab is only copper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Different frequencies travel different distances through copper wire. The more frequencies that you can send (and receive!) the more bits you can pump down the wire. The more bits the more kilobits the more megabits the better the broadband.

So over a shorter distance the more frequencies can be used. Over a shorter distance you will also get less interference between your copper wire and your neighbors copper wire.

Also a different version of DSL will be utilised. Look up DSL on Wikipedia.

• Advertisement

thanks Seaside but I am 2400 meters from the exchange, different frequencies over copper ain't going to help me

I suppose the question I was asking, is the fibre going to be pulled to the "junction" box in my estate in Lusk? or just the main exchange?

You asked "how is my speed going to be increased if my line to the cab is only copper?". I tried to answer that question.

In a previous post 10belowzero said that Lusk would be fibre to the cab but I haven't seen any vans around Lusk but I have seen them around Rush

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭MrGarak

There were some Eircom guys working near my street in Leixlip (this week I believe) and my Dad thought the cable being laid down was fibre.

Hopefully there's a chance this will be available here before the indicated date of Dec 13.

At present , the main objective is to bring fibre to the cab , which putting it simply , mean's bring the exch closer to the customer's door , so in most case's estate's which up to now , may not have had a great service will now have an excellent service . Estate's , that spring to mind would be lambay view and st catherine's in rush , or rivermeade in st margaret's , which because of distance with adsl , will now have a first class service.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks for the updates. Really appreciate it. If and when you can share a date for Skerries (even by PM), I'd be much obliged. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

yeah big thumbs up on the updates.
    Will be great when it's live, i'm syncing at 6Mb at present. :(

Lusk was started today , I have to say that our crew's and the contractor's are working at some pace , esp the crews doing the ug sub ducting , which is a dirty and dangerous job at the best of time's , let alone the amount of work they've done in the filthy weather over the last 2 week's , you will see yellow marking's adj to our cab's , where the pop's as we call them will be located.

Looks like Eircom crew have been working in my estate today, laying a new concrete slab for a new cabinet next to the existing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Benjy

At present , the main objective is to bring fibre to the cab , which putting it simply , mean's bring the exch closer to the customer's door.

Do you know if there are any cabs planned for further out the Naul Road (e.g. Hagans Cross) from the Balbriggan exchange? I remember seeing fibre being laid when the new road from Stephenstown to the Naul Road roundabout was being built. Was wondering if this cable will be made live? Any info much appreciated as my phone line is rated at 5 MB and in speed tests I can only manage ~3.5MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

when will the product be launched though? Yet to see any prices and I understand many of the phase one exchanges are complete.

• Advertisement

dubmick wrote: »
    when will the product be launched though? Yet to see any prices and I understand many of the phase one exchanges are complete.

I'm getting it on the 8th feb now. The guy on the phone said they will start selling and installing to customers on completed exchanges at the end of feb. Im only getting it early because my original bb has degraded so badly in the last few months and I kicked up a fuss. See my other posts for details.

:D:D:D:D OOOOOOOO excited. Fibre passes 1.23m from my house. Anyone know the standard bribe to get it diverted???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

MMAGirl wrote: »

I'm getting it on the 8th feb now. The guy on the phone said they will start selling and installing to customers on completed exchanges at the end of feb. Im only getting it early because my original bb has degraded so badly in the last few months and I kicked up a fuss. See my other posts for details.

Are you in Swords? That is one of the trial areas. I've been reliably told that fibre won't launch in Balbriggan until the end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Are you in Swords? That is one of the trial areas. I've been reliably told that fibre won't launch in Balbriggan until the end of May.

End of may ??? First February , now End if may.:-(((

Yep, swords.
    Got connected a couple of days ago.
    Amazing speed. Im getting 24meg. They told me when i first ordered it that it would be a 25 meg package so very happy.
    And no cap, even though they did say there would be a cap before.
    Took them about an hour to install. Its not on general release but they said if you kick up a stink, if you have a bad service, like i did you'll get it.

Trying to set up sling player now before i go on hols today. I never would have been able to do this on what i had before.

At last the launch date beckon's - it could be april or early may , Sword's is being trialled at the moment afaik .
    Work on the fibre is being carried out right across the county , fibre being blown in rush / lusk all week ,balbriggan is nearly done , skerries is well under way.
    E fibre page now up on eircom.net ---- http://www.eircom.net/efibre/

tnk's vico - we were hoping for an april launch , but at least we now know it's may - typical that those complaining , never even bothered to take part in the nga field trial's in sandyford + wexford.
    Anyhoo , work is flying along on the fibre , howth/sutton is also being done , tend to forget ,their ncd too.
    Malahide/Portmarnock are due in phase 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

anyone in Rush with a trial or is still in laying fiber process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

Eircom and also KN Network were working at the cabinets at the entrance of Chapel Farm estate yesterday evening in lusk
    Looked like they were pulling cable from under the road
    Happy days might see better Broadband speed this year

Advertisement