Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom ncd fibre roll out

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

There will be no need for a trial outside of Sword's ,as the service will be up and running by the 30th may or so, barring no other obstacles.
    So by the time Rush / Lusk /Skerries is done by mid summer , the service will be up and running.
    There has been a lot of work done , sub ducting and blowing fibre in Lusk village , chapel farm and dun eimer since last week.
    Rush is also well in hand , with crew's working all over the area's,afaik the fibre is all ready out to the cab in st catherine's est.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Do you know if there is a cab in Clifflands or Lambay View?
    Or do these estates not need one as the St. Catherine's one is close by?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Lusk village , chapel farm and dun eimer since last week

thanks 10below for all your posts over the last few months, its nice to have some realtime info from someone in the know

but just one question, where is the Cab in Dun Emer? as I am just trying to figure out how close I am too it

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

Thanks 10belowzero. great info

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

the service will be up and running by the 30th may or so

T-minus 11 weeks, 1 day. \o/

• Advertisement

cliffland's served from ladyscove jct palmer rd, lambay view via st catherines , dun emer has 2 cab's one at chapel farm / dum emer enterance , adj to the spar + one in dun emer cresent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Hi 10belowzero
    Would you have any inside info on golden ridge in rush? I can see markings of arrows by eircom outside on the footpath but cant locate any of the new cabinets.

Golden ridge has 2 cab's , one on the skerries rd adj(big billboard) + entrance of golden ridge ave / skerries rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Thats sound, one last question are these fibre enable or to be enabled with the huawei equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

@10belowzero You'll sick off these type of questions but where is the cab for the hand park area of rush?
    I've had a quick look around but couldn't see one. Thanks for the updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Whispers

Just saw a few Eircom guys outside my house laying cables. I asked them if they were laying fibre, their response was YES!! I asked when it would be available and they told me May. Maximum speeds at the beginning of around 70 Mbps, rising to 150 in time.

Oddly enough, had just got off the phone to Eircom prior to asking the work guys, who were trying to save me with some better offers (worth calling them and saying you'll cancel as they'll offer you some good deals (albeit it's subject to another 12 month contract)) and they told me that fibre wouldn't be available until after June (she had no definite date). She also said that all existing customers will be migrated automatically and will not have to sign a new agreement. So it's either May or after June.

Rang UPC and they still have no launch date for when fibre will be available in Chapel Farm. So looks like it will Eircom who will be first to be offering fibre, who would have thought!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Whispers wrote: »
    Rang UPC and they still have no launch date for when fibre will be available in Chapel Farm. So looks like it will Eircom who will be first to be offering fibre, who would have thought!!

Surely though if Eircom can offer it, does it not mean Magnet or UPC can start offering their services?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Whispers

Don't think UPC and Magnet will, as they use their own networks.

However Sky and BT currently use Eircom's backbone, so they may be able to offer the same service.

Hand park / lower main st / skerries rd / kilbush are served from the cab opp the micheal collin's.
    Huawei have been contracted to supply the distribution equipment ( cab's etc) for the deployment ,afaik the modem supplied will be a thomson.
    As the fibre is a new stand alone network , people will have to apply to be migrated to it , but the upgrade will be free.
    The main initial offering will be 25 / 40 / 70 mb .
    Magnet took part in the field trial's in wexford + sandyford , so along with the other olo's (isp's) will have access to the network.

The main initial offering will be 25 / 40 / 70 mb .

Brilliant. Thanks for your ongoing information. Really good stuff. Any idea of upload speeds for those packages?

I just clean forgot about up load , it's 1mb on the 25mb ,afaik , and higher again for the other 2 , i will find out , I did hear to day , that the thomson modem has been dropped in favour of a zyxel modem , not the standard one for adsl , the wireless range + performance is supposedly really good on the new one , from what I'm hearing.
    Connection to the new fibre service will entail some rewiring at the cust end / home etc to accommodate the new modem + to provide for tv point's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Benjy

@10belowzero. Do you know if there are any cabs out the Naul Road from the Balbriggan exchange? And again, thanks for all the useful info you're posting on the roll-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

I did hear to day , that the thomson modem has been dropped in favour of a zyxel modem , not the standard one for adsl , the wireless range + performance is supposedly really good on the new one , from what I'm hearing.
    Connection to the new fibre service will entail some rewiring at the cust end / home etc to accommodate the new modem + to provide for tv point's etc.

I just spent €100 on a NetGear N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router not too long ago, is that useless now? I've only ever had trouble with the Zyxel modems eircom have sent me in the past and have no interest in getting another one.

I would say that the modem part of the netgear would be of no use on fttc,as it is adsl2+ , and not compatable with vdsl/ fttc.
    However I imagine , you will be able to use the router as normal.
    I'm sure our fellow boardies over on the broadband forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259
    would be able to add more.
    Also a national Eircom fttc/vdsl map is being compiled by the most excellent contributor's of that slendid forum at,
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200976005490800150654.0004d6a674e6be3826dcb&msa=0

On the speed front , this was posted a while back , I'm assuming that the poster was on the ftth trial , but I imagine the upload speed will be similar on fttc,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83313180&postcount=1146
    tnk's to brijay for the post.
    The cab in the centre of the picture is the new vdsl cabinet to keep an eye out for , the closer you are to them the higher the speed you will obtain, tnk's to Praetorian for the pic.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/120485/245789.jpg

On the fibre front crew's were working over the weekend in Rush + Lusk on the fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

10belowzero. Thank you for the ongoing information. I signed up for introductory sky offer in Dec so I'll be going nowhere for 12 months :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

markad1 wrote: »
    10belowzero. Thank you for the ongoing information. I signed up for introductory sky offer in Dec so I'll be going nowhere for 12 months :-)

same here , but wondering if / when Sky will offer the VDSL product.
    If they don't have any immediate plans [ 3 months after eircom ] , may consider taking the hit of early contract end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DCMaywood

hi 10Belowzero
    Can you tell when the fibre in raheny is being rolled out the cabinet is in and finished 4 5 weeks now but Eircom are calling offering new contracts at the old broadband.I am only getting .5 mb and it is killing me.I switched from Eircom to Sky last year and will go back as soon as they have fibre. I hear April but that is just rumour if so why are they pushing the old one hard would they not be better informing about fibre and trying to G customers up for it. There is no UPC in Maywood so options are limited.

can you please advise and thanks in advance?
    DC Maywood

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Hand park / lower main st / skerries rd / kilbush are served from the cab opp the micheal collin's.

Ah Jaysus, I couldn't be much further away from that one :(
    How much does the distance away from cab affect the speed?

Dc , we were hoping for april 12 , but comreg intervened to push it back to MAY 20,that will hopefully be the day ,see below

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/News/NGA_Launch_Date/

small , depends where you are , cab area's interweave , within 500 mts for full speed , dropping after that , I won't know myself till I see it in action.

I heard that if you live near to the exchange (i.e. if your nearest cab is the exchange) that you may get even higher speeds (approaching 150Mbps). Is that true? I live very near my exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Khannie wrote: »
    I heard that if you live near to the exchange (i.e. if your nearest cab is the exchange) that you may get even higher speeds (approaching 150Mbps). Is that true? I live very near my exchange.

ye khannie change the laws of physics captain

No doubt some very highly populated area's will be direct from the exch , but local conditions will dictate how the distribution is done.
    There is talk of an network upgrade next year (when vectoring etc kick's in) that will provide speed's of 150/200 mb's , or so they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Fair play to you 10belowzero
    Your a gem.xxx

• Advertisement

SeaSide wrote: »
    ye khannie change the laws of physics captain

Go on out of that you. :p This came from an eircom sales person. I live near the exchange. No harm asking!

Advertisement