Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom ncd fibre roll out

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

Got a look at the new Zyxel eircom f 1000 vdsl modem ,today no technical spec's supplied with it though, see link below.Tnk's to Solair for the link.

http://www.neatdesign.ie/index.php/projects/project/47-eircom-fibre-modem-3d-visuals

A Thomson modem is also being used as well , hav't seen that one yet.
    Another modem was also used in the trial's ,The Technicolor TG789vn v3 , see link below , from what I can see the Zyxel modem has all the attribute's of The Technicolor TG789vn v3 .

http://www.technicolor.com/en/hi/digital-home/mediaaccess/dsl/advanced-service-gateways/vdsl/tg789vn-v3

tnk's to gordonnet for the link.

PS --- Just found out ,Thomson + Technicolor are the same , thomson changed their name to technicolor.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

If there's a possibility of > 100Mbps and coupled with that name, I'd have to guess that it's coming with gigabit ports. That would be very nice indeed. I was just talking to a friend who had his house wired with cat 6 for 150 euro (+ cable costs). The future is coming, people! :)

If you see any of the new vdsl + new dist cab's, where they were not there before, appearing on your travel's you can update the map.
    I hav't been around Stamullen /Gormanstown lately , as the cab's can be installed in a day ,it's very hard to keep track .
    Dubmick , was balrothery wood done or ring fort?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

If you see any of the new vdsl + new dist cab's, where they were not there before, appearing on your travel's you can update the map.
    I hav't been around Stamullen /Gormanstown lately , as the cab's can be installed in a day ,it's very hard to keep track .
    Dubmick , was balrothery wood done or ring fort?

Yeah Balruddery Wood was done last week. Someone has added it to the map. Rose Park is also done according to the map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jjspine

Any idea how long it takes to go live after the cables have been laid ? Im in balrothery myself.

The launch date was put back to May 20th by comreg to the best of my knowledge (i.e. may be rubbish). This was to protect competition (as the non-eircoms weren't ready), it's just a slight pain in the face. If the non-eircoms cause another delay in the on-switch being flicked, I will lose my sanity.

C'MON THE INTERNETS!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Khannie wrote: »
    The launch date was put back to May 20th by comreg to the best of my knowledge (i.e. may be rubbish). This was to protect competition (as the non-eircoms weren't ready), it's just a slight pain in the face. If the non-eircoms cause another delay in the on-switch being flicked, I will lose my sanity.

C'MON THE INTERNETS!

I had a bit of a beef with Eircom last few weeks with Wireless dropouts and the like, they couldn't do anything for us so i'm switching at the moment to Magnet for this new Fibre package, they reckon it will be live between May 28th and first week in June.....

70MB! Compared to my crummy constantly dropping 4MB package its gonna be immense....

:)

Fieldog wrote: »
    I had a bit of a beef with Eircom last few weeks with Wireless dropouts and the like, they couldn't do anything for us so i'm switching at the moment to Magnet for this new Fibre package, they reckon it will be live between May 28th and first week in June.....

70MB! Compared to my crummy constantly dropping 4MB package its gonna be immense....

:)
    Nice. :) What's the damage for that if you don't mind me asking? And do you know what the upload speed will be?

Nice. :) What's the damage for that if you don't mind me asking? And do you know what the upload speed will be?

Its the 70mb "fat pipe fibre" package...

No idea of the upload as of yet, I'd say it will be decent enough speed knowing Magnet, it will be 50 quid a month all in, same as what we are paying for Eircom...

My friend used to have it in Whitehall and it was easily second best to UPC for a residential area in the suburbs....

We registered interest on the site and they called us back within a day or two telling us they will be going live and will give us 3 months free when the fibre is switched on eventually...

Think it's a tenner extra for the phone but we outlined we didn't need the phone....

They were fairly eager to get us switched over fairly pronto and are putting us on the DSL pack in the meantime, a bit of haggling on the phone always helps... :)

• Advertisement

Nice one. Thanks. Registered my interest there. I'll definitely wait to see what Eircom are offering though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

C'MON THE INTERNETS!

I don't think it's the non-eircoms causing the hold-up. The regulators require eircom to offer access (via a licence/fee) for other ISPs to compete on offering services on all the new lines. So it's up to eircom to (a) offer the opportunity to competitors and (b) eircom to expedite the licences and agreements.

What I'm wondering is, is eircom rolling out the fibre network and following up with calls to re-new contracts in those areas before competitors can get licensed? That would hoover up and tie in existing customers (many who will assume that only eircom can offer the service on those fibre lines), leaving competitors to fight for scraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

A little reading around explains the "putting back" of the date to May 20th. Basically, eircom supplied other operators with the pricing and technical specs on November 20th 2012. European law requires that the incumbent (a.k.a eircom) gives 6 months to the other operators to sort out their tech, marketing and sales. This is to stop the incumbent having a commercial advantage.

eircom then went to ComReg and said with a smile "We're ready! Can we bring the date forward to April 8th?" and assured ComReg that they asked around a bit and everyone was fine with it. The other operators then said "Waaaaaait a minute!" and said that eircom had not allowed enough time and access to the network for testing.

Long story short: eircom got their ducks in a row and - knowing their competitors hadn't - tried to pull a fast one. ComReg agreed with their competitors.

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1323.pdf

Fieldog wrote: »
    They were fairly eager to get us switched over fairly pronto and are putting us on the DSL pack in the meantime, a bit of haggling on the phone always helps... :)

Just had a guy from Magnet on the phone there. He said it's going to be December for Skerries!!!

They are offering a fairly decent deal though - 69 per month for unlimited landline and mobile calls, 300 minutes international calls + internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭briany

Does anybody know, or are Eircom telling, what the likelihood is of the upgrades coming to areas between Skerries and Rush like Kenure, Loughshinny, Baldongan etc?

Just had a guy from Magnet on the phone there. He said it's going to be December for Skerries!!!

They are offering a fairly decent deal though - 69 per month for unlimited landline and mobile calls, 300 minutes international calls + internet.

Sounds good alright, I have no interest in the phone end of things but that's decent for the extra, also you can add a tenner to that for 89 digital channels if you want TV, I dont think their TV is all that though...(last time I saw it was about 5 years ago and it was ISP tv, dunno will much have changed tbh)

This new fibre really opens a lot of doors for me, I feel ive been living in the dark ages since I moved to Balrothery, it's the one thing that has me more irked than anything else about the area to be honest...

Small things in the grand scheme of things admittedly, I have to roundtrip to Dublin every Friday night to do my radio show live from a studio in Dublin - with this it means I can remote login and do my radio show from the comfort of my own home, not to mention I can not stream proper HD when im watching a footy match, now I will be able to, not to mention if I miss a day of college I have to wait an age for a class to buffer before I can watch it without interruptions.....

I got a fancy new smart telly a while ago aswell and I can't even connect it to the net due to not having a minimum 10mb connection, again, another thing that will change, as I said, small things to most but they will help me no end.... :)

Sounds good alright, I have no interest in the phone end of things but that's decent for the extra, also you can add a tenner to that for 89 digital channels if you want TV, I dont think their TV is all that though...(last time I saw it was about 5 years ago and it was ISP tv, dunno will much have changed tbh)

This new fibre really opens a lot of doors for me, I feel ive been living in the dark ages since I moved to Balrothery, it's the one thing that has me more irked than anything else about the area to be honest...

Small things in the grand scheme of things admittedly, I have to roundtrip to Dublin every Friday night to do my radio show live from a studio in Dublin - with this it means I can remote login and do my radio show from the comfort of my own home, not to mention I can not stream proper HD when im watching a footy match, now I will be able to, not to mention if I miss a day of college I have to wait an age for a class to buffer before I can watch it without interruptions.....

I got a fancy new smart telly a while ago aswell and I can't even connect it to the net due to not having a minimum 10mb connection, again, another thing that will change, as I said, small things to most but they will help me no end....
    This is an excellent post and about sum's up the difference a decent b/band service can make to people and the quality of their life style's , at the end of the day , it come's down to delivering to people a secure reliable fast b/band service , that meet's their requirement's be it for domestic / pleasure use or for business or those working from home , no matter how remote their location .
    The new fibre will bring huge change's , but is not a universal cure all , however once the local core fibre network is in place ( that is the main object at the moment ) it open's the door for the company to use a large range of way's to provide service , that were not available up to now , including eg ftth , fttp/dp (fibre to the pole/ dist point).
    Area's like knox cross or loughshinny , black hill's , corballis etc will see a huge difference .
    Briany , kenure is covered from 2 side's at kenure park / palmer rd (skerries rd end) , the loughshinny cab also cover's baldungan the cab at the tunnel in skerries also cover's baldungan.
    K+N have been doing a lot of civil's in Rush / Lusk /Balbriggan all week , I hav't been in Skerries , am assuming they are progressing there too.
    As soon as I have some idea of how vdsl is performing over distance I'll let you all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Magnet rang me offering me fatpipe with the first 3 months free for €69, phone unlimited and broadband if i signed up and it was only available during that call.
    I said i'll think about it and call them back.
    Two days later they rang and asked if id decide to go with them. I said not yet.
    They then reduced the price to €55 for the same package.
    I said id think about it again. I think im still under contract to Eircom though.

MMAGirl , I think you must have been one of the first to avail of the fibre in Sword's , what speed did you get , down / up, do you know if your far from a cab?.
    I hope when the fibre does launch fully that the price's will be a lot cheaper and at least come in under or on par with upc .

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

MMAGirl , I think you must have been one of the first to avail of the fibre in Sword's , what speed did you get , down / up, do you know if your far from a cab?.
    I hope when the fibre does launch fully that the price's will be a lot cheaper and at least come in under or on par with upc .

They only gave me max 25meg. I get 24+ constantly though. Im about 1km from the only cabinet i can find.
    They only gave it to me because i threatened them with all sorts. I go onto the "normal" package at the end of May though.
    I dont even know what that is yet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

North Dublin has been mapped very well ( by the locals of course :) ) but there are still a few missing high speed VDSL cabinets here and there. Probably not in Balbriggan or Balrothery though. :)

Some work is expected on the Finglas and Rush exchanges any day now and Sutton has just started to roll out ( serving the very SE corner of Fingal around Bayside)

The Finglas exchange covers a large area towards and east of Ashbourne as far out as Oldtown in NCD. The Central north is served by the Ballyboughal exchange north of Swords and that is not scheduled for an upgrade at all.

Balbriggan Donabate Skerries Swords and Ashbourne are extremely well mapped...Ashbourne may cover parts of NCD as may Belcamp on the northern fringe where cabinets are also mapped. Nothing spotted in The Naul yet...could someone have a look see in The Naul there please as it is part of Balbriggan for service purposes , if there is something it should be Precisely HERE

You will find both the latest view only map and the 'add a cab' map linked HERE ( they are 2 separate links for speed and clarity) and if you find a cabinet yourself please add it to the map, a photo of one is pictured in that link and they cannot be mistaken for any other gear owing to the unique large lock feature.

To get fast broadband in future ( 100mbit+) you REALLY need to be within 400m of one of these cabinets although they will noticeably improve services out to 3km in rural parts if deployed. Fast UPLOAD speeds will be tied to fast DOWNLOAD speeds, eg if you cannot get 50mbits down you cannot get 10mbits up. So even if you only want fast uploads you need short distances and fast downloads.

North Dublin historically has appalling an service from eircom, UPC only recently pushed into some very limited areas and Malahide/Swords even had a Chorus broadband service that was abandoned for about 5 years before eircom rolled out ADSL there followed by BT (LLU) and UPC.

Rural parts of NCD, meanwhile, had ICE Broadband who were one of the most incompetent packs of chancers ever to peddle a so called 'service' in ireland. :(

Please help with the mapping in your area, we are looking for help in Rush / Finglas as well as for anything we have missed elsewhere.

WOW.

I only mentioned Finglas and Rush for the first time in here yesterday and around 60 cabinets have been mapped in those two exchanges already. Have a look at the FIRST link in my sig below now to get a better handle on where the VDSL rollout is in North County Dublin. It certainly is the best mapped area in Ireland so well done to all you guys for spotting and marking the cabinets.

And there are more to come. Malahide and Portmarnock and the Balgriffin rollouts have yet to start and I have every faith in the locals finding even more cabs

Tnk's SB - k+n were installing a vdsl cab plinth at rogerstown today , I believe all the fibre in rush / lusk is done now afaik , just waiting on civil's for the new cab's to be done.So far the project in rush / lusk is well ahead of target for now , hopefully it will remain so.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

brilliant that its all done in Rush,
    I've noticed a big fall in quality in the last week on vodafone.
    half the speed i normally get. Eircom are switching me over on Monday \o/ hopefully it will fix all the issues and will be ready for fiber.

Rush is due to launch later this year ....not in May that I am aware of.

Below is what a Plinth looks like. Ducts for power. earth wire (yellow) and copper feeding to the nearest cable cabinet (photo 1)

Shortly afterwards a Cabinet is bolted onto thuis plinth and the setup is shown complete in (Photo 2) with VDSL Cabinet on the right. You really need to be 400m or less ( line length) from that cabinet to get 100mbits by ( due by 2014). At 1000m distance you will max out more like 30mbits.

Once you see the Plinth the Cabinet itself is imminent. Once you see the cabinet it can be connected and tested and handed over in working order in about 2-3 months along with the rest of your town and go live.

HOWEVER eircom must give 6 months notice of the live date to stop them from sending door to door salesmen around annoying everyone with lies and promises.

Again my thanks to the NCD mappers, easily the best mapping crew in Ireland. It's your map guys. :D

248794.JPG

r1zy1d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I live in Rush in Goldenridge and as far as I can see no new cabinets have been put in place yet. Although they are marked in places with yellow paint saying cab.

The crews are out working doing the prep work so I'd say its a matter of time before we see the cabinets

They are getting there , kn network's were laying a plinth on the main street in rush, at hand's lane today.
    Just on a off note , lusk / rush train station is now an eircom wifi hot spot , one of the lad's I know installed it last week , so it should be active by now.
    Tnk's SB,I had forgotten and was't taking in to account the six month's notice etc , which mean's that if rush / lusk / skerries etc (phase iv) is fully completed by say june / july , it won't be probably available till christmas/ new year time frame, which is why the company have listed the completion of phase iv for this dec.
    I'm now hoping , that's not six month's notice from next dec , meaning a going live date of next june 2014.
    I will ask around and see what the story is , I'd just assumed that once the may 20 th launch date had passed , that area's that were completed would be immediately made available to the public.

That is very bad news indeed. :( The lad from magnet had told me that it would be December, but I assumed that he was misinformed. 6 months of sitting around waiting for a service that could be turned on right now is a right pain in the face. :/

They are getting there , kn network's were laying a plinth on the main street in rush, at hand's lane today.
    Just on a off note , lusk / rush train station is now an eircom wifi hot spot , one of the lad's I know installed it last week , so it should be active by now.
    Tnk's SB,I had forgotten and was't taking in to account the six month's notice etc , which mean's that if rush / lusk / skerries etc (phase iv) is fully completed by say june / july , it won't be probably available till christmas/ new year time frame, which is why the company have listed the completion of phase iv for this dec.

They can give the 6 month notice early as they can get from pulling the last subduct in ( before groundworks/plinth) to fully commissioned and acquired by the OAM systems in 6 months, easily. KN and eircom are very much in the groove on deployment now and should be dropping 100 cabs onto plinths per WEEK ...nationwide by now.

They can give notice on a per exchange basis, Dec 2013 should mean BY Dec not IN Dec for many areas.

• Advertisement

I thought I'd put these photo's of the sub ducting up for all to see , a previous poster described seeing a crew deploying '' a big reel of orange yumminess '' - I've heard fibre multi core sub ducting called many thing's , but orange yumminess sure ain't one of them , still laughing here.
    Forgive my photography - leo b - I'm not , it's the first time I've put pic's up.

Advertisement